Two Sendmail Servers on One Computer - Local Config Error

Roberto Ullfig

Jul 25, 2002, 9:54:39 AM7/25/02

I need to run a second server in order to allow sites that we've blocked
a way to contact us. (The delay_checks feature is incompatible with
DRAC).

Both listen on port 25 but on a different network interface:

CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Addr=128.135.12.12, M=h')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=midway, Addr=128.135.12.12, M=b')

and

CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Addr=128.135.12.78, M=h')
DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=spamabuse, Addr=128.135.12.78, M=b')

This is all working fine EXCEPT that an SMTP connection to 12.12 that
tries to send to 12.78 always returns the infamous:

spamabuse.uchicago.edu. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
problem?)

Each server has its own local-host-names file and I've tried placing
spamabuse in 12.12's file but that didn't help (it does exist of course
in spamabuse's local hosts file).

As I said, as long as I connect directly to the 12.78 server from a
remote host, everything works fine. The 12.12 server is having
difficulty with the connection to the 12.78 server. Any ideas?

--
Roberto Ullfig : rul...@uchicago.edu
Systems Administrator

Neil W Rickert

Jul 25, 2002, 11:41:55 AM7/25/02
Roberto Ullfig <rul...@uchicago.edu> writes:

>I need to run a second server in order to allow sites that we've blocked
>a way to contact us. (The delay_checks feature is incompatible with
>DRAC).

I expect delay_checks and DRAC could work together. Maybe the rules
need a little tweaking.

>Both listen on port 25 but on a different network interface:

>CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Addr=128.135.12.12, M=h')
>DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=midway, Addr=128.135.12.12, M=b')

>and

>CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Addr=128.135.12.78, M=h')
>DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=spamabuse, Addr=128.135.12.78, M=b')

>This is all working fine EXCEPT that an SMTP connection to 12.12 that
>tries to send to 12.78 always returns the infamous:

>spamabuse.uchicago.edu. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
>problem?)

If you can give the two sendmails different values for $j, that would
solve the problem. Alternatively, define a separate mailer for
sending between them, and set the "k" flag in the mailer flags (the
"F=" string).

Roberto Ullfig

Jul 25, 2002, 3:36:53 PM7/25/02
Neil W Rickert wrote:

> Roberto Ullfig <rul...@uchicago.edu> writes:
>
> >I need to run a second server in order to allow sites that we've blocked
> >a way to contact us. (The delay_checks feature is incompatible with
> >DRAC).
>
> I expect delay_checks and DRAC could work together. Maybe the rules
> need a little tweaking.

Well they do work - just that if an IP is in the DRAC database all other
blocking rules are ignored (i.e. access) for that IP because
delay_checks reverses the order that the check rulesets are called. In
order to get the desired behavior I'd have to move or copy a bunch of
rulesets to my local_check_rcpt from local_check_relay and I'm not sure
about such a maneuver.

> >Both listen on port 25 but on a different network interface:
>
> >CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Addr=128.135.12.12, M=h')
> >DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=midway, Addr=128.135.12.12, M=b')
>
> >and
>
> >CLIENT_OPTIONS(`Addr=128.135.12.78, M=h')
> >DAEMON_OPTIONS(`Name=spamabuse, Addr=128.135.12.78, M=b')
>
> >This is all working fine EXCEPT that an SMTP connection to 12.12 that
> >tries to send to 12.78 always returns the infamous:
>
> >spamabuse.uchicago.edu. config error: mail loops back to me (MX
> >problem?)
>
> If you can give the two sendmails different values for $j, that would
> solve the problem. Alternatively, define a separate mailer for
> sending between them, and set the "k" flag in the mailer flags (the
> "F=" string).

Yes, set confDOMAIN_NAME and that fixed things. Thanks.