Q: How to get all mail received by sendmail forwarded to another host

Glen B. Glater

Jul 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/10/96

I want to receive all mail on my Sendmail host (Sparc, SunOS 4.1.4,
Sendmail 8.7.4) but then have it send every piece of mail to an
internal Lotus Notes mail gateway.

I want this to happen regardless of userid. I don't want to manage
the /etc/aliases file at all.

I know that I can do this with mailertables, but my question is this:

Is there are Sendmail rule that can be written to forward *all* mail
to another host? Or, is there an option flag that I can set with
Sendmail 8.7.* that allows this?

Thank you for your help.

--glen

Midnight Networks 200 Fifth Avenue * Waltham, MA 02154
Glen B. Glater Principal, Strategic Networking Group
Phone: (617) 890-1001 Fax: (617) 890-0028
Internet: gl...@midnight.com http://www.midnight.com/~glen
Midnight Networks WWW page http://www.midnight.com

Brad Knowles

Jul 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM7/11/96

In article <31E458D9...@midnight.com>, "Glen B. Glater"
<gl...@midnight.com> wrote:

> I want to receive all mail on my Sendmail host (Sparc, SunOS 4.1.4,
> Sendmail 8.7.4) but then have it send every piece of mail to an
> internal Lotus Notes mail gateway.

Try creating MX records. Set the Lotus Notes gateway as the lowest
cost MX for itself, and the Sun as a higher cost MX. Anything that gets
to the Sun for the Lotus Notes gateway will be automatically forwarded.

Of course, people outside your network will try to connect first to
the Lotus Notes gateway, and if they can't, then fall back to the Sun.
So, if there's no chance of them ever connecting to the Lotus Notes
gateway (because of a firewall), this is being rather rude.

In that case, you could set the Sun to be the lowest cost MX for the
Lotus Notes gateway and then set TRY_NULL_MX_LIST to true in the
sendmail.mc file for the Sun (and regenerate the sendmail.cf from it), but
this has other problems and is disrecommended.

The best solution would be to create a mailertable on the Sun that
explictly forwards everything for that gateway over to the machine of the
same name, but this time with square brackets added around the name to
keep sendmail from doing the MX lookup (which would get it into a loop).
--
Brad Knowles, MIME/PGP: br...@his.com
comp.mail.sendmail FAQ Maintainer <http://www.his.com/~brad/>