Oddity with 8.9.2 in address test mode with ruleset Parse1

Chris Adams

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
Once upon a time, Gary Palmer <g...@erols.com> said:
>When I take a config file (even, say, generic-bsd4.4.cf from the
>distribution) and run in address test mode, when I pass any address
>into ruleset 0 which should not be considered a local delivery, it still
>comes out the bottom of ruleset 198 (Parse1) with the local mailer.
>However, if I actually *do* a delivery, then sendmail seems to properly
>figure out it should be sent over (e)smtp(8) and pass it on. But the
>address test mode stuff has me confused.

Are you passing the address into ruleset 0 properly focused? It expects
an address in the form "user < @ fully.qualified.host . >". Try sending
the address through ruleset 3 first, like

$ sendmail -bt
ADDRESS TEST MODE (ruleset 3 NOT automatically invoked)
Enter <ruleset> <address>

--
Chris Adams - cad...@ro.com
System Administrator - Renaissance Internet Services

Neil Rickert

Jan 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM1/11/99
g...@erols.com (Gary Palmer) writes:

>I'm noticing some (what I consider) weird behaviour on the part of the
>rulesets in sendmail 8.9.2 and am I'm wondering if I'm just not understading
>something.

>When I take a config file (even, say, generic-bsd4.4.cf from the
>distribution) and run in address test mode, when I pass any address
>into ruleset 0 which should not be considered a local delivery, it still
>comes out the bottom of ruleset 198 (Parse1) with the local mailer.
>However, if I actually *do* a delivery, then sendmail seems to properly
>figure out it should be sent over (e)smtp(8) and pass it on. But the
>address test mode stuff has me confused.

It is probably being relayed in ruleset 5.

Instead of testmode, try:

sendmail -d21.1 -bv address

Change the '.1' to increase the amount of output. You will see both
the ruleset 3,0 rewriting, and the ruleset 5 rewriting.

Message has been deleted