port 587 throttled with 25?

Ken Williams

Jan 6, 2007, 11:49:53 PM1/6/07
when sendmail is throttled and blocking on port 25 connections because
of a high server load or too many connections (eg.
confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE exceeded) is the mail submission port on
587 also blocking connections?

If so how can I stop that? what I want is port 25 to be heavily
throttled to keep a stable server, but always allow mail from 587
because those are important customers (logging in via SASL).

thanks for any input.
ken...@yahoo.com

Kari Hurtta

Jan 7, 2007, 2:03:27 AM1/7/07
Ken Williams <ken...@yahoo.com> writes in comp.mail.sendmail:

Perhaps using two different sendmail config and therefore two
different deamon ?

/ Kari Hurtta

patrick

Jan 7, 2007, 3:34:57 AM1/7/07
In news:DZ_nh.64148$Qm2....@read1.cgocable.net,
Ken Williams <ken...@yahoo.com> wrote:

You can
define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', `0')dnl
in the submit.mc file and rebuild/install submit.cf for the next sendmail
restart to take effect.

Ken Williams

Jan 7, 2007, 3:58:53 AM1/7/07

So its best to have two sendmail deamons running then right? one for 25
with limits and one for 587 with no limits. they both share the same
settings otherwise like spool directory and whatever else it looks for.
I just increase all the limits like confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE. is
this the idea I should be looking at?

Thanks.

patrick

Jan 7, 2007, 4:26:58 AM1/7/07
In news:4D2oh.64153$Qm2....@read1.cgocable.net,
Ken Williams <ken...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> what I want is port 25 to be heavily
>>> throttled to keep a stable server, but always allow mail from 587
>>> because those are important customers (logging in via SASL).
>>
>> You can
>> define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', `0')dnl
>> in the submit.mc file and rebuild/install submit.cf for the next
>> sendmail restart to take effect.
>
> So its best to have two sendmail deamons running then right?

You already do. You asked how to configure the MSA daemon on port 587 for a
specific connection rate that is different from the MTA daemon on port 25.
This is done in /etc/mail/submit.cf, which is built from submit.mc. The MSA
daemon on port 587 has been a standard part of sendmail for some time now,
unless specifically disabled by you, the adminsitrator.

Per Hedeland

Jan 7, 2007, 7:17:01 AM1/7/07
In article <50bsnaF...@mid.individual.net> "patrick"

>>> You can
>>> define(`confCONNECTION_RATE_THROTTLE', `0')dnl
>>> in the submit.mc file and rebuild/install submit.cf for the next
>>> sendmail restart to take effect.
>>
>> So its best to have two sendmail deamons running then right?
>
>You already do. You asked how to configure the MSA daemon on port 587 for a
>specific connection rate that is different from the MTA daemon on port 25.
>This is done in /etc/mail/submit.cf, which is built from submit.mc.

No, the MSA listener isn't run from submit.cf, it is part of the
standard daemon running from sendmail.cf. The thing running from
submit.cf is called MSP (Message Submission Program) and doesn't listen
on any ports (the daemon is just a queue runner).

But running two daemons off different "sendmail.cf"'s, one listening on
port 25 (pure MTA) and another on port 587 (pure MSA) is certainly
possible - should even be possible to run off a single sendmail.cf with
the right DaemonPortOptions on the command line, I believe (takes some
care though since that option doesn't do a simple override of what's in
the .cf).

--Per Hedeland
p...@hedeland.org

Neil W Rickert