Per number of recipients delivery mode

Andrzej Adam Filip

Aug 5, 2005, 3:42:48 AM8/5/05
Is it possible to make sendmail switch from default background delivery mode
to another mode (e.g. queue) for messages with high number of recipients?
OR
Is possible to set different DeliveryMode for MSA without using separate
sendmail daemon?

Some users (at another site) reported that sending messages from outlook to
~400 recipients with sendmail's delivery mode set to background caused
outlook timeouts.

--
Andrzej [en:Andrew] Adam Filip an...@priv.onet.pl an...@xl.wp.pl
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing

ynotssor

Aug 5, 2005, 4:09:43 AM8/5/05
"Andrzej Adam Filip" <an...@priv.onet.pl> wrote in message

> Is it possible to make sendmail switch from default background
> delivery mode to another mode (e.g. queue) for messages with high
> number of recipients? OR
> Is possible to set different DeliveryMode for MSA without using
> separate sendmail daemon?
>
> Some users (at another site) reported that sending messages from
> outlook to ~400 recipients with sendmail's delivery mode set to
> background caused outlook timeouts.

Alternatively, the users can lengthen the timeouts in their clients:

Tools -> Accounts -> {select mail account} -> Properties -> Advanced

Set "Server Timeouts".

Claus Aßmann

Aug 8, 2005, 12:11:05 PM8/8/05
Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
> Is it possible to make sendmail switch from default background delivery mode
> to another mode (e.g. queue) for messages with high number of recipients?

Why?

> Is possible to set different DeliveryMode for MSA without using separate
> sendmail daemon?

Why?

> Some users (at another site) reported that sending messages from outlook to
> ~400 recipients with sendmail's delivery mode set to background caused
> outlook timeouts.

Before trying to come up with new options (or code), you should
figure out why the timeouts occurred. I doubt that changing
DeliveryMode would help (esp. not from background to queue).

Most likely the timeouts are due to the hostname canonification;
see cf/README how to deal with that.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous

Andrzej Adam Filip

Aug 8, 2005, 1:00:35 PM8/8/05
Claus Aßmann wrote:
> Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
>
>>Is it possible to make sendmail switch from default background delivery mode
>>to another mode (e.g. queue) for messages with high number of recipients?
>
> Why?
>
>>Is possible to set different DeliveryMode for MSA without using separate
>>sendmail daemon?
>
> Why?

[ One answear to 2 questions ]

I have got used to use sendmail for fixing MUA deficiences :-)

IMHO making sendmail accept messages submitted to MSA (over encrypted and
authenticated SMTP session) in deffered delivery mode (combined with
persistent quqeue runners) may make some postmasters happier.
For such *specific* type of submissions "accept now bounce later" may be an
interesting option.

>>Some users (at another site) reported that sending messages from outlook to
>>~400 recipients with sendmail's delivery mode set to background caused
>>outlook timeouts.
>
> Before trying to come up with new options (or code), you should
> figure out why the timeouts occurred. I doubt that changing
> DeliveryMode would help (esp. not from background to queue).
>
> Most likely the timeouts are due to the hostname canonification;
> see cf/README how to deal with that.

You are right. Queue delivery mode would not fix it but sendmail also
supports deffered delivery mode.

Matej Vela

Aug 10, 2005, 6:12:00 AM8/10/05
On 2005-08-05, Andrzej Adam Filip <an...@priv.onet.pl> wrote:
> Is it possible to make sendmail switch from default background delivery mode
> to another mode (e.g. queue) for messages with high number of recipients?

Hmm. It should be possible to have a LOCAL_RULE_0 which resolves to a
mailer marked as expensive once ${nrcpts} crosses a certain threshold.
With confCON_EXPENSIVE enabled, these recipients will effectively be
delivered in queue mode.

But it's cleaner to...

> Is possible to set different DeliveryMode for MSA without using separate
> sendmail daemon?

... enable _FFR_DM_PER_DAEMON (8.13.4 and better).

Andrzej Adam Filip

Aug 10, 2005, 7:23:21 AM8/10/05
Matej Vela <mv...@irb.hr> writes:

Thanks for *this* hint.