Re: WARNING: local host name (;; connection timed out; no servers could be reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?

Per Hedeland

Jan 11, 2007, 4:16:42 PM1/11/07
In article <1168540533....@p59g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>
vladi...@gmail.com writes:
>I am using sendmail 8.13.5 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS.

[snip]

>WARNING: local host name (;; connection timed out; no servers could be
>reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?
>
>The sendmail.org documentation suggests the use of
>FEATURE(use_cw_file),
>which is already in my .mc

The sendmail documentation referred to by the error message, i.e. the
"WHO AM I?" section of the cf/README file, certainly doesn't suggest
that, but rather setting confDOMAIN_NAME in the .mc file (which ends up
setting $j).

>It's interesting to note that ";; connection timed out; no servers
>could
>be reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?" actually shows
>up in the sendmail.cf in a variety of locations (like $j).

Wow - I guess the "helpful" Ubuntu people try to generate .mc and/or .cf
with some tool, but forgot to check for errors...

> Manually editing the .cf (bad, I know)

Well, having that garbage in it is definitely worse!:-)

> and restarting sendmail seems to have no
>beneficial effect.

Have you checked that the .cf isn't auto-regenerated from a .mc that
has the garbage in it when you "restart" - putting such "helpful" stuff
in rc scripts seems to be common in Linux distributions. Try to find the
.mc file and check/modify it - like cf/README says, normally there is no
need to set confDOMAIN_NAME at all. And of course also check that the
_.mc_ file doesn't get auto-regenerated with garbage in it! Finally,
remeber that there are two .cf (and .mc) files in 8.12 and later,
sendmail.cf and submit.cf - you didn't say in what context you got the
error message, if it's on direct invocation of sendmail in non-daemon
mode, it's coming from submit.cf.

--Per Hedeland
p...@hedeland.org

vladi...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2007, 1:21:00 PM1/11/07
I am using Sendmail 8.13.5 on Ubuntu 6.10. I keep getting the following
error, and nothing I do seems to be able to fix it. Google has been
less
than helpful, as has ubuntu's official and non-official support forums,
and sendmail.org's documentation has been sadly unhelpful. Sendmail,
it
seems, cannot find the local host name. This is despite it being
correctly set in /etc/hosts, in /etc/mail/local-host-names, in DNS,
etc.
I've verified that DNS works. All other errors have been squashed. When
issuing a make all, or a sendmailconfig in /etc/mail, I get the follow
error:

WARNING: local host name (;; connection timed out; no servers could be
reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?

The sendmail.org documentation suggests the use of
FEATURE(use_cw_file),
which is already in my .mc

It's interesting to note that ";; connection timed out; no servers

could
be reached) is not qualified; see cf/README: WHO AM I?" actually shows

up in the sendmail.cf in a variety of locations (like $j). Manually
editing the .cf (bad, I know) and restarting sendmail seems to have no
beneficial effect.

Even our local sendmail guru is confused. Anyone have any other ideas?

vladi...@gmail.com

Jan 11, 2007, 1:35:33 PM1/11/07
I am using sendmail 8.13.5 on Ubuntu 6.06 LTS. I keep getting the

following
error, and nothing I do seems to be able to fix it. Google has been
less
than helpful, as has ubuntu's official and non-official support forums,
and sendmail.org's documentation has been unhelpful. Sendmail, it