Pine 4 and Cyrus imapd

Per Steinar Iversen

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
Now that Pine 4.0 is out: What is the magic
needed to see more than the inbox on a
Cyrus imapd? The old setup from Pine 3.96 does not work
any more in Pine 4.0.

-psi

Per Steinar Iversen

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
On 9 Jul 1998 08:33:58 GMT,

I found it! :

Enable the "enable-lame-list-mode" in the setup.

Now, why is Cyrus lame?

-psi

Terry Gray

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98
Per,
It has to do with some arcane subtleties of the IMAP LIST command, and the
way the "reference" string is used in resolving the offered path. We
believe the current Cyrus behavior is, to say the least, "suboptimal" :)
The current keeper of the Cyrus server is reviewing our argument and
is considering whether to make changes that would rendor the "lame mode"
unnecessary.

-teg

Amos A Gouaux

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98

PSI> Enable the "enable-lame-list-mode" in the setup.

PSI> Now, why is Cyrus lame?

Good question.

Another thing I noticed is that using "enable-fast-recent-test"
does not seem to work with Cyrus. With this on, pressing TAB
never takes you to an incoming-folder with recent mail. Turning
this feature off, the TAB key works properly....

Amos

Terry Gray

Jul 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/9/98

On 9 Jul 1998, Amos A Gouaux wrote:

> Another thing I noticed is that using "enable-fast-recent-test"
> does not seem to work with Cyrus. With this on, pressing TAB
> never takes you to an incoming-folder with recent mail. Turning
> this feature off, the TAB key works properly....

The "enable-fast-recent-test" tells Pine to use the IMAP "LIST" command to
determine whether there is "interesting" stuff in the folder, as opposed
to the (generally much slower) IMAP "STATUS" command.

The server gets to decide whether/how it marks folders in LIST responses
as having something interesting to look at (in particular, recent
messages).

-teg

Peter Svanberg

Jul 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/21/98
to Terry Gray
Terry Gray wrote:
> It has to do with some arcane subtleties of the IMAP LIST command, and the
> way the "reference" string is used in resolving the offered path. We
> believe the current Cyrus behavior is, to say the least, "suboptimal" :)
> The current keeper of the Cyrus server is reviewing our argument and
> is considering whether to make changes that would rendor the "lame mode"
> unnecessary.

1) Do you have any indications on wheter this considering will lead to
changes soon?

2) Does "lame mode" impair communication with other servers where it
is not necessary (but still on, as it is a global setting)?

Peter Svanberg

Terry Gray

Jul 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/22/98
to Peter Svanberg
Peter,

1) As far as I know, we have not heard back from the CMU folks.

2) Yes, turning on this feature will have adverse impact on Pine when used
with other servers: I believe it would prevent proper resolution of
path names entered at, for example, GOTO or SAVE prompts that had
breakout characters in them.

-teg

Sven Falk

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98

Ok, there was a question about pine 4.02 and Cyris ipmapd and i didn't
found an answer so i'm asking again:

Using the 'lame-list-mode' I can use my subfolders with imap but i'm
getting all folders twice, one of them is ending with a dot. This folders
doesn't exist, so why they're shown? How can I remove them?

Sven

mark ferguson

Aug 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/6/98

The background of my response is from:
http://andrew2.andrew.cmu.edu/cyrus/imapd/overview.html#mboxname

After reading that... remember that with cyrus, every folder is a
subdirectory, but not every subdirectory is a folder.

For instance, create a folder under inbox. called "1.2.3.4"

You only created 1 folder, but you also created 4 directories in your
heirarchy.

In pine 3.96 with a folder collection of "{imap.server.org}inbox.[]" you will
just see one folder called "1.2.3.4"

In pine 4.0x with the same folder collection, you will see:

top level:
1.

second level:
2.

third level:
3.

fourth level:
4 4.
^
|----- that is the only _folder_, but in order to get there you need to
connect the "."'s ;) That's why they are there.

As for why they are shown, or if you can remove them... you might want to go
to a usenet archive and look for post comp.mail.pine:30579 or
comp.mail.imap:1983

For convenience I'll tack it on to the end of this post.

Hope this helped!

-Mark

>Hi,

>Sven

===============

]From: Terry Gray <gr...@cac.washington.edu>
]Newsgroups: comp.mail.pine,comp.mail.imap
]Subject: Re: Pine 4 and Cyrus imapd
]Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 08:14:39 -0700
]
]Per,
]It has to do with some arcane subtleties of the IMAP LIST command, and the

]way the "reference" string is used in resolving the offered path. We
]believe the current Cyrus behavior is, to say the least, "suboptimal" :)
]The current keeper of the Cyrus server is reviewing our argument and
]is considering whether to make changes that would rendor the "lame mode"
]unnecessary.

]
]-teg

]
]On 9 Jul 1998, Per Steinar Iversen wrote:
]
]> On 9 Jul 1998 08:33:58 GMT,
]> Per Steinar Iversen <PerSteina...@adm.hioslo.no> wrote:
]> >Now that Pine 4.0 is out: What is the magic
]> >needed to see more than the inbox on a
]> >Cyrus imapd? The old setup from Pine 3.96 does not work

]>
]> I found it! :
]>
]> Enable the "enable-lame-list-mode" in the setup.
]>
]> Now, why is Cyrus lame?
]>
]> -psi
Mark Ferguson
ferg...@buffalo.edu

Tom Karches

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
mark ferguson wrote:

> As for why they are shown, or if you can remove them... you might want to go
> to a usenet archive and look for post comp.mail.pine:30579 or
> comp.mail.imap:1983

I am testing 4.02 with the Cyrus server; I have enabled the
enable-lame-list-mode option and I am still getting duplicate folder
names in my folder list (one which has a period after it, one which does
not.

My command line to start Pine is :

pine -inbox-path={my_imap_server}INBOX
-folder-collections={my_server}INBOX.[] \
-enable-lame-list-mode=yes

Once launched, I check the config and the appropriate options are set.
Still have 2 sets of folders.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,
Tom

--
Tom Karches
Systems Programmer, North Carolina State University

Mark Crispin

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98
to t...@ncsu.edu
On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Tom Karches wrote:
> I am testing 4.02 with the Cyrus server; I have enabled the
> enable-lame-list-mode option and I am still getting duplicate folder
> names in my folder list (one which has a period after it, one which does
> not.

By any chance, did you try to see what happens when you open each of these
duplicates? If not, I'll tell you:

If you open the name which has the period after it, you'll descend a level
of hierarchy and see the mailboxes which start with that name.

If you open the name which does not have the period after it, you'll get
the messages in that mailbox.

The behavior is very intuitive and obvious when you use a server in which
a name is a "directory" or a "mailbox" but not both; the confusion only
happens when a name can be both.

I'm not the person who designed the interface, so don't flame me over it.
If I had had my way, there wouldn't be hierarchical mailbox names in IMAP
at all.

-- Mark --

* RCW 19.149 notice: This email address is located in Washington State. *
* Unsolicited commercial email may be billed $500 per message. *