prompt for alternate editor

R. Stewart Ellis

Feb 20, 1995, 9:13:46 PM2/20/95
Ted Stern <st...@amath.washington.edu> writes:

>It seems to me that there used to be a prompt for the alternate editor in
>Pine 3.89, but there isn't now. In other words, when I hit ^_, I used to
>get something like

> Edit using alternate editor: emacs

>with the cursor positioned after the end of the editor name. I really
>liked this, because it allowed me to switch editors depending on various
>conditions. It would also be the easiest way to use ispell.

>But now I just get automatic insertion into the alternate editor. This
>seems to go against the principle of Pine asking you whether you want to
>do something unless you explicitly turn that reminder off.

This is the single greatest feature of 3.91, IMHO. Pico is close enough to
jove and emacs to constantly confuse me, and now I can just use jove. Check
for the setting of the "enable-alternate-editor-implicitly" variable and a
couple of other related ones.

>Am I missing some feature setting somewhere?

> -- Ted
> Ted Stern (206) 685-9304 Dept. of Applied Math, FS-20
> st...@amath.washington.edu University of Washington
> http://www.amath.washington.edu/~stern/ Seattle, WA 98195

R.Stewart(Stew) Ellis, Assoc.Prof., (Off)810-762-9765 ___________________
Humanities & Social Science, GMI Eng.& Mgmt. Inst. / _____ ______
Flint, MI 48504 el...@nova.gmi.edu / / / / / /
Gopher,chimera,nn,tin,jove,modems, free code is best!/________/ / / / /

Ted Stern

Thomas Ulich

Feb 21, 1995, 5:35:55 PM2/21/95
Ted Stern (st...@amath.washington.edu) wrote:

: It seems to me that there used to be a prompt for the alternate editor in

: Pine 3.89, but there isn't now. In other words, when I hit ^_, I used to
: get something like

: Edit using alternate editor: emacs

: Am I missing some feature setting somewhere?

In (S)etup - (C)onfig you can set the feature

enable-alternate-editor-cmd

If depends on whether you specified the alternate editor in the environment
( $EDITOR ) or in the pine setup, as far as I understand. Move to that feature
and press ? for help...

--
Thomas Ulich Tel.: ++358-(9)81-554 7042 !!!NEW: thomas...@oulu.fi

Inuits say: He who looks long upon the aurora soon goes mad.

L.G. Ted Stern

Feb 22, 1995, 3:10:08 PM2/22/95

I figured out my problem. I want to have enable-alternate-editor-cmd set, but
I DON'T want to have the editor explicitly defined. That way, when pressing
^_ in Compose, I am prompted for my alternate editor with whatever is in the
EDITOR variable.

In other words, on your [S]etup, [C]onfig page, make sure the options look like

feature-list =
[...]

[X] enable-alternate-editor-cmd
[ ] enable-alternate-editor-implicitly