PINE launch problems under OSX 10.4

Daniel J. Stern

Nov 27, 2005, 12:38:17 AM11/27/05

Oops, I just hit a real bump in both of my recent OSX 10.4 installations
Seems both the new installation on the tower and the
archive-and-create-new installation on the laptop lost me my
previously-installed PINE.

I went ahead and installed Xcode 2.2, then installed Fink, then used
FinkCommander to install the PINE binary (4.58, not as recent as I
would've liked.)

OK, and it works...kinda. There is a LENGTHY (60-second) delay between my
issuing

pine

and PINE launching. No hard drive sounds or other indications of actual
work are audible or visible during this 60-second wait, nor does anything
else seize up. Seems like something's timing out, but whatever it is
refuses to show itself.

Fine, so I used FinkCommander to uninstall pine. Nothing now happens when
I issue

pine

So, I go to osxgnu and get the .dmg for PINE 4.63 . I double-click
pine.command . Terminal window launches, sixty-second wait, then PINE 4.63
pops up.

I issue

sudo mkdir sw
cd sw
mkdir pine
cd pine

and drag pine.command in there.

Now thing's've got worse; issuing

pine

returns

tcsh: /sw/bin/pine: Permission denied.

Issuing

sudo pine

and entering my password when prompted returns

sudo: pine.command: command not found

YARRRRRGH! I don't remember this being such a hassle the last time I
installed PINE.

Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

DS

NM Public

Nov 27, 2005, 3:49:55 AM11/27/05
On 27 Nov 2005, Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> YARRRRRGH! I don't remember this being such a hassle the last time I
> installed PINE.
>
> Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks in advance...

My suggestion is to download Pine from the University of
Washington on this page:

<http://www.washington.edu/pine/getpine/unix.html>

This page includes the source and a pre-built OS X binary. If you
decide to build Pine yourself, for example if you want to use a
PASSFILE, I have some instructions here:

<http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/pc/#passfileBuild>

Hope this helps!
Glad to have another Mac Pine user in this world,
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com>
IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more
> > > Please keep the discussion in the group < < <

Daniel J. Stern

Nov 27, 2005, 11:29:03 AM11/27/05
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, NM Public wrote:

> <http://www.washington.edu/pine/getpine/unix.html>
>
> This page includes the source and a pre-built OS X binary.

Thank you. I've downloaded the OSX Pine and Pico binaries.

Forgive my ignorance, please, but I don't know what to do with them now
I've got them. Issue some sort of build command or??? I'm afraid I need
step-by-step instructions.

Thanks in advance,

DS

Eduardo Chappa

Nov 28, 2005, 1:39:30 AM11/28/05
*** Daniel J. Stern (pdas...@127.0.0.1eth) wrote in comp.mail.pine today:

:) and PINE launching. No hard drive sounds or other indications of actual
:) work are audible or visible during this 60-second wait, nor does
:) anything else seize up. Seems like something's timing out, but whatever
:) it is refuses to show itself.

Do you have "rsh-open-timeout" set to 0?

--
Eduardo
Patches/Help: http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

NM Public

Nov 28, 2005, 7:58:45 AM11/28/05
On 27 Nov 2005, Daniel J. Stern wrote:

Open an OS X Terminal window and go to the directory where
pine-bin.osx-10.4.Z is located. To uncompress it, type this:

uncompress pine-bin.osx-10.4.Z

To rename it, type this:

mv -i pine-bin.osx-10.4 pine4.64

(you can name it whatever you want, e.g., you could name it
simply 'pine')

To make it executable, type this:

chmod +x pine4.64

To run it from this directory, type this:

./pine4.64

Move it to a directory on your path and then you'll be able to
launch it from anywhere without needing to specify the path.

You don't really need to install pico because pico comes
pre-installed in Mac OS X.

Let us know if this version of Pine works for you!

Daniel J. Stern

Nov 28, 2005, 4:43:39 PM11/28/05
On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, NM Public wrote:

<very helpful step-by-step instructions>

Thanks very much, Nancy. I followed your instructions and met with
immediate and complete success on my G4/867 at the office. I would've
liked to have been able to download the binary directly to /bin , but OSX'
GUI apparently does not feel comfortable acknowledging the existence of
such directories as /bin , so I had do download it to my Downloads folder,
open a terminal window, navigate to /bin, su to root, then issue the ugly
but effective

cp /Volumes/HardDriveOne/Users/MyName/Desktop/Downloads/pine-bin.osx-10.4.Z .

This worked, but I'm sure there are several more elegant ways to get this
job done. My first preference would be for some way to get OSX to show me
*all* directories, not just the ones it thinks I ought to see!

Thanks very much for your help. I'll try this again tonight on my PB
G4/1.5 tonight.

-DS

Daniel J. Stern

Nov 28, 2005, 4:44:31 PM11/28/05
On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Eduardo Chappa wrote:

> *** Daniel J. Stern (pdas...@127.0.0.1eth) wrote in comp.mail.pine today:
>
> :) and PINE launching. No hard drive sounds or other indications of actual
> :) work are audible or visible during this 60-second wait, nor does
> :) anything else seize up. Seems like something's timing out, but whatever
> :) it is refuses to show itself.
>
> Do you have "rsh-open-timeout" set to 0?

I find no such parameter in the configurations...I'll bet I'm looking in
the wrong place, right?

DS

Eduardo Chappa

Nov 28, 2005, 11:05:56 PM11/28/05
*** Daniel J. Stern (pdas...@engin.umich.edueth) wrote in comp.mail.pine today:

:) On Sun, 27 Nov 2005, Eduardo Chappa wrote:
:)
:) > *** Daniel J. Stern (pdas...@127.0.0.1eth) wrote in comp.mail.pine
:) > today:
:) >
:) > :) and PINE launching. No hard drive sounds or other indications of
:) > :) actual work are audible or visible during this 60-second wait, nor
:) > :) does anything else seize up. Seems like something's timing out,
:) > :) but whatever it is refuses to show itself.
:) >
:) > Do you have "rsh-open-timeout" set to 0?
:)
:) I find no such parameter in the configurations...I'll bet I'm looking
:) in the wrong place, right?

That configuration option appears in the .pinerc file. It can be reached
from the main configuration screen if you first enable
[X] expose-hidden-config

I hope it helps.

Otherwise, try starting pine with the following command

pine -d timestamp,imap=4,tcp,verbose=0..9

and quit the program, and look for big delays in the ~/.pine-debug1 file
what can you see?

Eduardo Chappa

Nov 28, 2005, 11:07:41 PM11/28/05
*** On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 I wrote:

:) Otherwise, try starting pine with the following command
:)
:) pine -d timestamp,imap=4,tcp,verbose=0..9

Aargh, I meant to say

pine -d timestamp,imap=4,tcp,verbose=9

sorry for the confusion.

Daniel J. Stern

Dec 2, 2005, 12:36:27 AM12/2/05

I seem to have solved the delayed-launch problem, somehow or another. I
don't recall doing anything that should've fixed it, but...!