Customizing Content-Type header?

David Sewell

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
Is there a way to change the Content-Type header on a per-message
basis? (I'm mostly using PC-Pine 4.21.) I've tried adding it to the
list of "default-composer-hdrs" in my PINERC but it doesn't display
in the rich-header screen.

I'd like to be able to compose a message using richtext (text/enriched)
format, for example, and send it off that way. (I used to do this using
the Mutt mailer, which has this functionality.)

DS

Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00

A while ago I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do
this myself. You should be able to find my archived posts about
this at Deja.com. The only way I could figure out how to do it
was to construct the message (header and body) with a text editor
and then use Pine to bounce the message. Since that was such I
pain I just gave up on sending text/enriched messages with pine.

I'm curious why you switched from mutt to pine... what features
does pine have that mutt doesn't have that convinced you to
switch?

Thanks,
Nancy

--
For Pine links, see http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/

ŠNancy McGough http://www.ii.com/ Infinite Ink
--= Sent via PINE 4.21: Internet News & Email for Win/Unix =--

Eduardo Chappa L.

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
*** Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough wrote in the comp.mail.pine...:

:) On 00-01-21 David Sewell <dr...@virginia.edu> wrote:
:) > Is there a way to change the Content-Type header on a per-message
:) > basis? (I'm mostly using PC-Pine 4.21.) I've tried adding it to the
:) > list of "default-composer-hdrs" in my PINERC but it doesn't display
:) > in the rich-header screen.
:) >
:) > I'd like to be able to compose a message using richtext (text/enriched)
:) > format, for example, and send it off that way. (I used to do this using
:) > the Mutt mailer, which has this functionality.)
:)
:) A while ago I spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to do
:) this myself. You should be able to find my archived posts about

Probably the reason you could not was because sending-filters does not
work is PC pine (correct me if I am wrong).

But in Unix Pine you can use sendind filters to do it, I posted the
following message a while ago in the pine-info list and it shows you how
to do it for text/html but it is the same for your neeed, just change
text/html for whatever you need.

------Begin quote

Here's the way to do it. You have to follow several steps in order to make
this work.

First you have to create a script, say we call it mime_types. Your file
mime_types should say something like this:

#!/bin/sh
echo "Content-Type:text/html" > $2

remember to give yourself execution permission for this file.

Then you should go to your configuration file, and where it says
sending-filters it should say:

sending-filters=/full/path/to/myme_types _TMPFILE_ _MIMETYPE_

This is enough to accomplish the task, but you should continue to the next
step anyway.

After you do this take a look at the following configuration option:

[ ] compose-send-offers-first-filter

and read its help in order to understand what it does. I have it checked.
-----End Quote.

:) I'm curious why you switched from mutt to pine... what features
:) does pine have that mutt doesn't have that convinced you to
:) switch?

I'm curious too...

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

Jeffrey Goldberg

Jan 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/21/00
On 21 Jan 2000, David Sewell wrote:

> I'd like to be able to compose a message using richtext (text/enriched)

> format, for example, and send it off that way.

About a year ago there was a thread on this. No one had an answer. Pine
reads text/enriched just fine, but there seems to be no way to send a
text/enriched message. I would like to see this solved. Any new ideas
anyone?

-j

--
Jeffrey Goldberg +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
Cranfield Computer Centre FAX 751 814

peter karlsson

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Eduardo Chappa L.:

><indent>
>I tried exactly what I proposed in my earlier post just changing
><bold>text/html</bold> to
>see.
></indent>

Just keep that stuff out of the newsgroups and we'll all be happy :)

--
\\//
peter - http://www.softwolves.pp.se/

Eduardo Chappa L.

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
*** peter karlsson wrote in the comp.mail.pine newsgroup today:

:) Eduardo Chappa L.:
:)
:) ><indent>
:) >I tried exactly what I proposed in my earlier post just changing
:) ><bold>text/html</bold> to
:) >see.
:) ></indent>
:)

Any particular reason for that? Do newsreaders only recognize text/plain?
I did not mean to bother anyone writing this, just to prove that it can be
easily done.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

Xiaoyong Wu

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
Are we talking about PINE here?
That's the reason, I think.

Eduardo Chappa L.

Jan 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/23/00
*** Xiaoyong Wu wrote in the comp.mail.pine newsgroup today:

:) Are we talking about PINE here?
:) That's the reason, I think.
:)

I still do not understand, there was a question about pine, which I
answered, and to prove that what I had said was correct I myself sent a
message (in pine) where I did what I said it had to be done. I do not see
what's wrong with this. I would really like to know what's wrong with
having sent a proof message (using pine tools) of text/enriched to the
newsgroup.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

David Sewell

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
In article <Pine.WNT.4.21.0001211410100.-182743@aleph>,

Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough <n...@NoAdsPlease.ii.com> wrote:
>I'm curious why you switched from mutt to pine... what features
>does pine have that mutt doesn't have that convinced you to
>switch?

There's a decent port to Win95/98. :)

I haven't used the very latest Mutt versions, but it does seem that Pine
is better optimized for accessing IMAP accounts from a variety of
platforms. Since I'm currently stuck in a Win98 environment at work (apart
from telnetting to a Unix account), Pine is the logical choice.

DS

Scott Leibrand

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
There's nothing wrong with it, except that <rant mode="religious fervor">
some _traitors_ who are using other mailreaders to access comp.mail.pine
have trouble reading it. </rant>

I'd use text/enriched, too, but I'm too lazy. :)

--
Scott Leibrand
leib...@u.washington.edu

Jeffrey Goldberg

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Eduardo Chappa L. wrote:

> I still do not understand, there was a question about pine, which I
> answered, and to prove that what I had said was correct I myself sent a
> message (in pine) where I did what I said it had to be done.

I entirely agree. I (and others) asked how to get pine to send
text/enriched with the proper content-type header. Eduardo responded,
both with an answer and a demonstration. For that I thank him.

I don't think anyone was suggesting that we generally post news in
anything other than text/plain, but his posting in text/enriched was
completely appropriate given the circumstances. And I'd like to thank him
again for posting an answer (and useful demo of that answer) to a question
that had nagged me for quite some time.

peter karlsson

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Eduardo Chappa L.:

(Please try to use a proper quote identifier, i.e ">")

>Any particular reason for that? Do newsreaders only recognize text/plain?

Mostly. There's rarely any need for anything else.

>I did not mean to bother anyone writing this, just to prove that it can be
>easily done.

Sure. And I just made sure to point out that it shouldn't be done on a
regular basis.

--
\\//
Peter

peter karlsson

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Scott Leibrand:

>There's nothing wrong with it, except that <rant mode="religious fervor">
>some _traitors_ who are using other mailreaders to access comp.mail.pine
>have trouble reading it. </rant>

Pine sucks as a newsreader. I use it as a mailreader, since that is what it
is good at, but I quit using it read mail ages ago.

--
\\//
Peter

Eduardo Chappa L.

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
*** peter karlsson wrote in the comp.mail.pine newsgroup today:

:) Eduardo Chappa L.:
:)

:) (Please try to use a proper quote identifier, i.e ">")
:)

Sorry no luck in there, unless you find a RFC that says that ">" is THE
quote identifier, in whose case I bet pine would not be in compliance of
it allowing users to change it. Unless you have a really good and deep
reason for this, I won't change it.

:) >Any particular reason for that? Do newsreaders only recognize text/plain?
:)
:) Mostly. There's rarely any need for anything else.
:)

I've had (rare) cases where I wish I had been able to put bold, underline
and even make the bell sound just to make my point or make a big warning.
I did not write text/enriched for the pleasure of it. Given the fact that
you understand that there is sometimes a need for something other than
text/plain, you should have understood that I posted in text/enriched for
a good reason and not complained about it.

:) >I did not mean to bother anyone writing this, just to prove that it can be
:) >easily done.
:)
:) Sure. And I just made sure to point out that it shouldn't be done on a
:) regular basis.
:)

I guess you are lucky here, I don't usually write in text/enriched but if
I did I would have to say I'm sorry about it and I would be welcome to
your kill file. On the other hand I do not know anyone who posts
text/enriched on a regular basis here, and since you and I have been here
for a while you should know I do not do that, so no reason to complain
again. You are just being too picky in my opinion. I have not seen any
problem since the beginning.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

peter karlsson

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Eduardo Chappa L.:

>I have been here for a while you should know I do not do that, so no reason
>to complain again.

I know *you* don't do that, I was hoping that others wouldn't get the wrong
idea.

--
\\//
Peter

Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
On 00-01-24 David Sewell <dr...@spammusnullus.virginia.edu> wrote:
> >I'm curious why you switched from mutt to pine... what
> >features does pine have that mutt doesn't have that convinced
> >you to switch?
>
> There's a decent port to Win95/98. :)
>
> I haven't used the very latest Mutt versions, but it does seem
> that Pine is better optimized for accessing IMAP accounts from
> a variety of platforms. Since I'm currently stuck in a Win98
> environment at work (apart from telnetting to a Unix account),
> Pine is the logical choice.

These are also the main two reasons that I use pine rather than
mutt. Considering that the creator of IMAP is part of the UW Pine
Team, it makes sense that Pine is one of the best (if not the
best) IMAP clients around. Another thing I like about Pine that
mutt doesn't have is that I can use it to read and post to news
groups. I don't use pine as my primary news *reader* (I use nn)
but I do like being able to post from pine so I can use pine's
roles to automatically set the From header, sig, Fcc, and
template based on the headers and body of the news message I'm
following up to.

I'm curious why other people have switched from mutt to pine or
gone the other way and switched from pine to mutt. I don't want
to start a flame war but I think it would be useful to the
developers of both pine and mutt to see what features are
important to people.

Nancy

--
Pine info & links @ http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/pine/

ŠNancy McGough http://www.ii.com/ Infinite Ink

-----== Sent via Pine 4.21L running on Debian GNU/Linux ==----

Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
On 00-01-25 peter karlsson <pe...@softwolves.pp.se> wrote:
> >Any particular reason for that? Do newsreaders only recognize text/plain?
>
> Mostly. There's rarely any need for anything else.
>
> >I did not mean to bother anyone writing this, just to prove that it can be
> >easily done.

> Sure. And I just made sure to point out that it shouldn't be done on a
> regular basis.

I agree that messages posted to news groups should be plain text
but not because "there's rarely any need for anything else." The
reason is that there are a lot of legacy news readers still in
use, e.g., nn (which is what I use to *read* news). Maybe some
day everyone will be using MIME-aware news readers but until
then, you shouldn't assume that the Content-type header will have
meaning to all the people around the world who read news groups.
Remember some people are using an old machine running an old
operating system and old software. Not everyone can afford to be
on the cutting edge.

Eduardo Chappa L.

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
*** Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough wrote in the comp.mail.pine...:

:) I agree that messages posted to news groups should be plain text but
:) not because "there's rarely any need for anything else." The reason
:) is that there are a lot of legacy news readers still in use, e.g.,
:) nn (which is what I use to *read* news). Maybe some day everyone
:) will be using MIME-aware news readers but until then, you shouldn't
:) assume that the Content-type header will have meaning to all the
:) people around the world who read news groups. Remember some people
:) are using an old machine running an old operating system and old
:) software. Not everyone can afford to be on the cutting edge.
:)

This is like saying, let's not write Java because lynx (and actually most
of the web browsers out there) can not execute it. If I need to execute
Java I use netscape, I don't write to the owner of the page and tell
him/her not to use Java (although I am tempted to do it sometimes, but my
experience shows you never accomplish anything) I hate frames, however
people still use them. I do recognize however that you would expect
everyone to post using text/plain but you can not blame someone or say
that he/she is wrong if he/she decides to do so. In my opinion if you see
1 post out of a million with a content-type different from text/plain you
should accept it, or ignore it. If most of the people start using other
things different from text/plain I would write to the developers of the
program and tell them to support other content-types. For example, I do
not think that a mail reader should have to display text/html, but the
fact is that you receive mail from some people of content-type text/html,
so if my mail program displays that, is a great feature, it avoids me a
problem and if it does not I use a mailcap file to redirect it or in the
case of pine I can use display-filters to do it too. You could even use
lynx to read news with text/enriched content-type if your newsreader can
not display it. I do not think that the fact that sone newsreader can not
decode it is a good reason, I do however recognize that people have that
expectation and only if I need it I will post using a different
content-type than text/plain.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

Jeffrey Goldberg

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00

I was one of the people who asked how to do it. I can assure you that
have no intention of using it for news, and very little for mail. I was
mostly interested in the fact that I couldn't see how to do it until
Eduardo answered the question.

Jungshik Shin

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00
In <86a8e8$js6$1...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>, David Sewell wrote:
: Is there a way to change the Content-Type header on a per-message
: basis? (I'm mostly using PC-Pine 4.21.) I've tried adding it to the
: list of "default-composer-hdrs" in my PINERC but it doesn't display
: in the rich-header screen.

: I'd like to be able to compose a message using richtext (text/enriched)

I'd like to see this feature(allowing users to change C-T header
per mesg basis at the time of composing/sending out) for a different
reason. My pinerc has MIME charset set to EUC-KR(8bit Korean character
set encoding scheme for US-ASCII and KS X 1001. To my regret, as of pine
4.21, Pine still lists EUC-KR as 'unknown charset' while it recognizes
its 7bit counterpart ISO-2022-KR) so that Pine labels 8bit messages as
EUC-KR and 7bit message as US-ASCII. From time to time, however, I get
messages in ISO-8859-1, UTF-8 and other MIME charsets/encodings and I need
to label replies to them (as often my replies include their messages in
ISO-8859-1, etc) as ISO-8859-1, UTF-8 etc. To avoid mislabelling them
as EUC-KR, I have to go all the way to configure menu to change MIME
charset and revert the change (as most of time it should be EUC-KR)
afterward. This is not convenient (as is alternative which is keeping
multiple copies of pinerc for different MIME charsets).

So, it'd be very nice if Pine could let users change MIME charset
parameter of C-T header temporarily(on per msg. basis) when they
compose/send out messages (while keeping the default in pinerc
intact).

Jungshik Shin

Jeffrey Goldberg

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00
On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough wrote:

> I'm curious why other people have switched from mutt to pine or
> gone the other way and switched from pine to mutt.

I've never used mutt except for a few tests. The last time I looked (and
it was a while ago) mutt barely supported real IMAP functionality, so I
didn't continue looking at it.

While pine is a poor newsreader, I like having my mail and news
integrated, so I continue to use pine for news as well.

ho...@my-deja.com

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
In article <86a8e8$js6$1...@murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU>,

dr...@virginia.edu (David Sewell) wrote:
> Is there a way to change the Content-Type header on a per-message
> basis? (I'm mostly using PC-Pine 4.21.) I've tried adding it to the
> list of "default-composer-hdrs" in my PINERC but it doesn't display
> in the rich-header screen.
>
> I'd like to be able to compose a message using richtext
(text/enriched)
> format, for example, and send it off that way. (I used to do this
using
> the Mutt mailer, which has this functionality.)
>
> DS

Apart from the pine vs mutt debate, how do you achieve this in mutt?
Can you use -m application/pdf for a pdf file attachment?
dv

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

David Sewell

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
In article <86o59j$8cr$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>, <ho...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>Apart from the pine vs mutt debate, how do you achieve this in mutt?
>Can you use -m application/pdf for a pdf file attachment?

Before sending a message, you can highlight any attachment (including the
main message) and hit Ctrl-T to bring up a line that contains the
Content-Type of the attachment. You simply edit the line to change the
Content-Type for that attachment.

DS

Eduardo Chappa L.

Jan 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/27/00
*** Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough wrote in the comp.mail.pine...:

:) These are also the main two reasons that I use pine rather than
:) mutt. Considering that the creator of IMAP is part of the UW Pine
:) Team, it makes sense that Pine is one of the best (if not the
:) best) IMAP clients around. Another thing I like about Pine that

I wouldn't draw that conclusion, you could argue that the imap server must
be one of the best, but the client is another completely different
business. Pine is a good client though, and I would love to have it more
configurable towards avanced users. I think all the needs of novice users
are already covered and the development should be thought in terms of more
advanced users too. There are some advanced features, like threading
that pine still does not have and that makes people switch the other way
around. I personally consider pine to be simple and efficient, with lots
of room for improvement.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

David Sewell

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
In article <Pine.OSF.4.21.00012...@goedel1.math.washington.edu>,
Eduardo Chappa L. <cha...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
[description of method to change Content-Type under Unix-ish Pine:]

>First you have to create a script, say we call it mime_types. Your file
>mime_types should say something like this:
>
>#!/bin/sh
>echo "Content-Type:text/html" > $2

I finally got around to trying this out. I think it needs a slight change,
however, based on my experience: the "echo" command needs to be modified
to suppress the newline, or else the "charset=" part of the Content-Type
line will be separated from the rest of the line and probably appear in
the message.

So it should be "echo -n" in GNU echo, or in other flavors of echo a \c
should be the last part of the string to suppress the newline.

DS

Eduardo Chappa L.

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
*** David Sewell wrote in the comp.mail.pine newsgroup today:

[...]

See the headers of my original posting, oh wait, here they are pasted for
you:

I do not see them separated... Did you make an experiment and it happened
what you say here or is this an assumption? what OS are you using?

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

David Sewell

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
In article <Pine.OSF.4.21.000128...@goedel2.math.washington.edu>,

Eduardo Chappa L. <cha...@math.washington.edu> wrote:
>See the headers of my original posting, oh wait, here they are pasted for
>you:

>I do not see them separated... Did you make an experiment and it happened
>what you say here or is this an assumption? what OS are you using?

I made the experiment using your script, and found that I had to change it
for it to work on my system. I was using Pine 4.05 under AIX--possibly
there was a bug in the sending-filters feature that has been fixed in more
recent versions?

DS

Eduardo Chappa L.

Jan 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/28/00
*** David Sewell wrote in the comp.mail.pine newsgroup today:

:) I made the experiment using your script, and found that I had to change it
:) for it to work on my system. I was using Pine 4.05 under AIX--possibly
:) there was a bug in the sending-filters feature that has been fixed in more
:) recent versions?
:)

Hmm I don't know then, I used sending-filters doing this kind of things in
pine4.10 without any problem. But if the problem was fixed by adding -c
then I'll change my advice next time to avoid this bug or problem.

--
Eduardo
http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

Nathan Thomas

Feb 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/1/00
In comp.mail.mutt Nancy this-address-is-valid McGough <n...@NoAdsPlease.ii.com> wrote:
: I'm curious why other people have switched from mutt to pine or
: gone the other way and switched from pine to mutt. I don't want

: to start a flame war but I think it would be useful to the
: developers of both pine and mutt to see what features are
: important to people.

I use both. I use mutt for my really big spools, and pine (mostly out of habit)
for my small personal spool.

When I reach a stage where I am as proficient at mutt as I am with pine (I think
we'll all agree that pine is easier to learn), I'll make the full switch to mutt.
I like the threading mutt does, as I am subscribed to and manage a few lists. Mutt
is also faster.

Nathan.
"Loyalty to petrified opinion never yet broke a chain or freed a human
soul." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)