Pine with Gmail

virtualmyles2

Jan 5, 2008, 3:52:04 PM1/5/08
If you're using GMAIL and would like to access it with Pine, here be
the instructions:

First enable IMAP on your Google account!!!
-Log into Google and click "settings",
-Click "Forwarding and POP/IMAP"
-Under IMAP Access click "Enable IMAP"

Your .pinerc needs to be "something" like this:

user-id=your.username at gmail.com
user-domain=gmail.com

smtp-server=smtp.gmail.com:587/tls/user=your.username at gmail.com

(all on one line)
inbox-path={imap.gmail.com:993/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=your.username
at gmail.com}INBOX

(all on one line)
incoming-folders=your.username at gmail.com {imap.gmail.com:993/
novalidate-cert/ssl/user=your.username at gmail.com}
(you probably have to check "enable-incoming-folders" in your Pine
Setup, Config as well)

(all on one line)
folder-collections="your.username at gmail.com" {imap.gmail.com:993/
ssl/user=your.username at gmail.com}[]

*********************************

if you want to set up pine to use multiple IMAP accounts, then read
this stuff and take a gander for yourself. let me know what works!

http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/#setupPine

cheerio!

John Mayson

Jan 6, 2008, 3:06:07 PM1/6/08
On Sat, 5 Jan 2008, virtualmyles2 wrote:

> if you want to set up pine to use multiple IMAP accounts, then read
> this stuff and take a gander for yourself. let me know what works!
>
> http://www.ii.com/internet/messaging/imap/isps/#setupPine

Thanks! A few days ago I did a search on this with "site:ii.com" and
found what I needed. Alpine works quite well with GMail IMAP, I've been
happy with it.

I added this so when I save a message it automatically picks the right
folder to dump into my All Mail

default-saved-msg-folder={imap.gmail.com/ssl/novalidate-cert/user=ad...@gmail.com}[Gmail]/All
Mail

I do have a question. I pointed my postponed-folder to my Drafts folder
on my GMail account. The problem is since that folder always exists,
Alpine thinks I have postponed mail. I chose "Y" to compose a saved
message and it, of course, couldn't find any then tried to delete Drafts
which it couldn't. Right now this is only a minor annoyance and I do
prefer my postponed messages be kept in my GMail. Has anyone come across
a better way to do this?

I'm using Alpine 0.9999 on Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

John

--
John Mayson <jo...@mayson.us>
Austin, Texas, USA

jack wang

Feb 6, 2008, 4:52:30 PM2/6/08
the emails that you send to yourself don't seem to get downloaded at all.

Jackie M. Young

Mar 30, 2011, 12:56:55 AM3/30/11
Sorry to bring up another issue, but how do I still get the Empty Header Message option to work in Pine (Alpine) with GMail?

Ever since my ISP went to the "cloud" with GMail, the header I usually use when sending to a bcc: group doesn't show up in Pine, and just shows my name instead in the To: portion of the header??

Thanks,
--Jackie
<jyo...@lava.net>