Maildrops don't work with gmail

Bruce Berryhill

Mar 8, 2005, 1:46:42 PM3/8/05
Using PC-Pine 4.62. I tried to use a maildrop with gmail. Got:

Bad date in append: 0-???-1970 00:00:00 +0000
Message append failed: Unknown error
Unable to move message 1 from pop3 folder

Of course SMTP doesn't work with Pine, but everything works fine with
Outlook.

hawat....@gmail.com

Mar 8, 2005, 2:31:42 PM3/8/05

Besides Pine and outlook, what are some good clients for gmail? I like
the way pine is keyboard driven, no mouse, no graphics. However, I'm
in windows2000.

maybe i'll forward gmail somewhere else.

Thufir

Eduardo Chappa

Mar 8, 2005, 2:46:22 PM3/8/05
*** Mark Crispin (ant...@CAC.Washington.EDUmon) wrote in comp.mail.pine today:

:) On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Bruce Berryhill wrote:
:) > Using PC-Pine 4.62. I tried to use a maildrop with gmail. Got:
:) > Bad date in append: 0-???-1970 00:00:00 +0000
:) > Message append failed: Unknown error
:) > Unable to move message 1 from pop3 folder
:)
:) We know what causes that error message; what we don't know is how you
:) go about making Pine commit the blunder that causes it. If you can
:) give us a good way to reproduce it we'll get it fixed pronto.

I think I know what causes this problem, even though I have not tried it.

There is a generic welcome message that one is sent when one opens an
account with google. That message does not have a Date header, hence I
think that's the error in the first message while downloading from Google.

Mark, if you would like to have an account in Gmail I would be happy to
give you an invitation. Just let me know.

--
Eduardo
Patches/Help: http://www.math.washington.edu/~chappa/pine/

Mark Crispin

Mar 8, 2005, 2:36:32 PM3/8/05
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Bruce Berryhill wrote:
> Using PC-Pine 4.62. I tried to use a maildrop with gmail. Got:
> Bad date in append: 0-???-1970 00:00:00 +0000
> Message append failed: Unknown error
> Unable to move message 1 from pop3 folder

What was the sequence of commands that you used? I use maildrops with a
POP3 server and have not seen this problem.

We know what causes that error message; what we don't know is how you go
about making Pine commit the blunder that causes it. If you can give us a

good way to reproduce it we'll get it fixed pronto.

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Eduardo Chappa

Mar 8, 2005, 2:54:47 PM3/8/05
*** On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 I wrote:

:) There is a generic welcome message that one is sent when one opens an
:) account with google. That message does not have a Date header, hence I
:) think that's the error in the first message while downloading from
:) Google.

In particular if that message is removed from the google account, then the
maildrop should work fine.

Mark Crispin

Mar 8, 2005, 2:53:57 PM3/8/05
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Eduardo Chappa wrote:
> There is a generic welcome message that one is sent when one opens an
> account with google. That message does not have a Date header, hence I
> think that's the error in the first message while downloading from Google.

Ah. Thank you, Eduardo; that would certainly cause the problem. If I can
reproduce it, I will develop a patch.

Allodoxaphobia

Mar 8, 2005, 5:35:28 PM3/8/05

Does fetchmail work with gmail? (I know sqwaaht about gmail.)
Use fetchmail to pull in the mail to your pine-based PC -- using
procmail -- if you wish, to scatter 'stuff' into specific pine folders.

HTH
Jonesy
--
| Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
| Gunnison, Colorado | @ | Jonesy | OS/2 __
| 7,703' -- 2,345m | config.com | DM68mn SK

Mark Crispin

Mar 8, 2005, 6:42:56 PM3/8/05
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005, Bruce Berryhill wrote:
> Using PC-Pine 4.62. I tried to use a maildrop with gmail. Got:
> Bad date in append: 0-???-1970 00:00:00 +0000
> Message append failed: Unknown error
> Unable to move message 1 from pop3 folder

Do you have maildrops-preserve-state set?

If so, you probably can work around the problem by unsetting that. It's
not particularly useful with POP.

Bruce Berryhill

Mar 8, 2005, 10:30:59 PM3/8/05
Unsetting maildrops-preserve-state did the trick. Thanks.