base64 message body decode when replying???

已查看 27 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Kevin the Drummer

未读,
2010年3月22日 15:22:042010/3/22
收件人
Hi,

When I use exmh to reply to an email which is base64 encoded,
such as what comes from so many Blackberry users, the quoted text
of the original message shows up in the reply draft as base64.
How can I use exmh and/or nmh to convert the base64 body text
back into human readable form when replying or forwarding a
message? Both exmh and nmh work fine to view base64 messages.

I'm thinking that a mail user agent (MUA) solution would be
better than a mail transport agent (MTA) solution. As I use
exmh/nmh, then I think that a solution using some of the nmh
filtering functions is probably the way to go.

When I view the message in exmh, or with 'show' from the
command-line, it shows up as human readable text. The show:
line from my ~/.mh_profile is:

show: -showproc mhl

The mhl: line is:

mhl: -form .components/mhl.format

The contents of the mhl.format file is:

width=10000,compwidth=9
:**************************************************
To:leftadjust,compwidth=9
Cc:leftadjust,compwidth=9
Date:leftadjust,compwidth=9
Extras:leftadjust,nocomponent
Ignores=acceptlanguage,accept-language,accreditor
From:leftadjust,compwidth=9
Subject:leftadjust,compwidth=9
:**************************************************
:
body:nocomponent

So, 'show X', where X is the message number of a message containing
a message of "Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64" is displayed in
human readable text.

But, 'repl X' of the same message includes the raw base64 text in the
message draft. I've tried many, many, many combinations of options
to 'repl', such as -mime and -format, and -filter files like the one
above. Yet, the body text in the repl draft message is always still
in base 64.

I just can't figure this out. I've done quite a bit of manual
reading and net searching on this, but can't seem to find what
I'm after. Anyone know how to achieve what I'm after?

Thanks....

Richard

未读,
2010年3月22日 17:00:092010/3/22
收件人

nob...@cosgroves.us spake the secret code
<slrnhqfgqs...@joseph.cosgroves.us> thusly:

>How can I use exmh and/or nmh to convert the base64 body text
>back into human readable form when replying or forwarding a
>message? Both exmh and nmh work fine to view base64 messages.

As far as I know, there is no direct way to do it in MH. What I have
done is to replace the body of the message with a manually base64
decoded version and then manually insert >'s myself to quote. Its a
pain and I only do it when I really feel like quoting their material.

I have also seem gmail turn ASCII tab's into some unicode character
equivalent and then this causes the message to be base64 encoded.

Kevin the Drummer

未读,
2010年3月22日 18:11:092010/3/22
收件人
Richard <legaliz...@mail.xmission.com> wrote:

> nob...@cosgroves.us spake the secret code
> <slrnhqfgqs...@joseph.cosgroves.us> thusly:
>
> >How can I use exmh and/or nmh to convert the base64 body text
> >back into human readable form when replying or forwarding a
> >message? Both exmh and nmh work fine to view base64 messages.
>
> As far as I know, there is no direct way to do it in MH. What I have
> done is to replace the body of the message with a manually base64
> decoded version and then manually insert >'s myself to quote. Its a
> pain and I only do it when I really feel like quoting their material.

There's a quicker way than that, for me anyway. Show the message
in one window, where the base64 is already translated. In
another window do the reply, delete all of the base64 and replace
with the translated version. I have a prepend script, which
prepends the '> ' to each line. It does optional characters too,
like '# ' when editing shell scripts. There's a program called
'par' which will reformat the paragraphs, including leaving the
'> ' in sensible places after reformatting. So, much of my work
is automated. I just want it ALL automated.

I heard back on the exmh-users list that the real source of this
problem for us is that repl is non MIME aware, unlike some of the
other parts of nmh, e.g. show.

Thanks!

Richard

未读,
2010年3月22日 20:35:012010/3/22

<slrnhqfqnt...@joseph.cosgroves.us> thusly:

>There's a quicker way than that, for me anyway. [...]

That's essentially what I do, although I'm using unix command-lines
instead of doing copy/paste.

There's a number of places in MH where it should be made more MIME
aware and be updated to the way MIME is used now compared to the way
it was used when MH MIME support was added.

Nowadays, text/plain bodies more often have a MIME-ness to them,
whereas when MIME support was added to MH, text/plain bodies rarely
had any MIME junk and MIME was primarily used for encoding of
attachments.

HASM

未读,
2010年3月26日 00:52:072010/3/26
收件人
legaliz...@mail.xmission.com (Richard) writes:

> Nowadays, text/plain bodies more often have a MIME-ness to them,

Then shouldn't they advertise it as a different Content-Type,
e.g. text/almost_plain?

-- HASM

Richard

未读,
2010年3月26日 05:32:502010/3/26
收件人

HASM <net...@invalid.com> spake the secret code
<m3634jn...@127.0.0.1> thusly:

No, because the content is still text/plain, but the transfer encoding
is quoted-printable or base64.

0 个新帖子