nmh 1.3 has been released

1 view

Peter Maydell

Jun 1, 2008, 12:36:41 PM6/1/08
We're pleased to announce the release of nmh 1.3. You can find it in
the savannah download area:

http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/nmh/nmh-1.3.tar.gz

It's been over two years since the 1.2 release; but the changes here
are mostly minor; largely bugfixes.

You should note that we have changed the default configuration to
allow all supported forms of address masquerading. For more details
please see the --enable-masquerade option to configure, and the
mh-tailor and post man pages.

For more detailed information you can look at the ChangeLog
since 1.2:

http://cvs.savannah.gnu.org/viewvc/nmh/ChangeLog?root=nmh&r1=1.215&r2=1.254.2.13

Please report problems in the bug tracker on savannah
(https://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/nmh/), or on the

The nmh project website is: http://www.nongnu.org/nmh/

Peter Maydell (on behalf of the nmh development team)

Xavier Maillard

Aug 12, 2008, 12:07:51 AM8/12/08

According to Peter Maydell <pmay...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>:

> We're pleased to announce the release of nmh 1.3. You can find it in
>

> It's been over two years since the 1.2 release; but the changes here
> are mostly minor; largely bugfixes.

Is there any roadmap for future releases ?

Regards,

Xavier

Joel Reicher

Aug 12, 2008, 2:48:51 AM8/12/08
x...@localhost.UUCP (Xavier Maillard) writes:

I don't think so. Is there something specific you wanted to know?

Cheers,

- Joel

Xavier Maillard

Aug 12, 2008, 3:23:28 PM8/12/08
According to Joel Reicher <jo...@panacea.null.org>:

> x...@localhost.UUCP (Xavier Maillard) writes:
>
> > > It's been over two years since the 1.2 release; but the changes here
> > > are mostly minor; largely bugfixes.
> >
> > Is there any roadmap for future releases ?
>
> I don't think so. Is there something specific you wanted to know?

No, nothing specific. I just want to know if nmh is still maintained
by a team and whether this team has plans to enhance it :)

Regards

Richard

Aug 12, 2008, 3:52:26 PM8/12/08

Joel Reicher <jo...@panacea.null.org> spake the secret code
<rnljz26...@succubus.panacea.null.org> thusly:

I would like show to remove quoted-printable and base64 encodings on
text/plain message bodies. Currently I have to go use mhshow and its
inferior for htis purpose.

Alan J Rosenthal

Aug 12, 2008, 5:02:07 PM8/12/08
If this is a wish-list discussion... something I'd really like is for the
'To' field of the message to be available in replcomps macros so that I
could write something like:

From: %(lit)%(formataddr {to})%<(match something)some...@example.com%|fl...@dgp.toronto.edu%>

Or a pointer to where in the source code I'd go about adding the 'To' field.
I looked for it a while when this came up several years ago and couldn't
find it with a medium-small amount of work.

Xavier Maillard

Aug 12, 2008, 5:16:08 PM8/12/08
According to Alan J Rosenthal <fl...@dgp.toronto.edu>:

> If this is a wish-list discussion... something I'd really like is for the
> 'To' field of the message to be available in replcomps macros so that I
> could write something like:
>
> From: %(lit)%(formataddr {to})%<(match
> something)some...@example.com%|fl...@dgp.toronto.edu%>

Ah this one is a big YES for me. I also need something like that for work.

Xavier

Peter Maydell

Aug 17, 2008, 5:21:10 AM8/17/08
In article <g7splq$r0a$1...@news.xmission.com>, Richard <> wrote:
>I would like show to remove quoted-printable and base64 encodings on
>text/plain message bodies. Currently I have to go use mhshow and its
>inferior for htis purpose.

This is part of my hopes for general improvement of nmh's MIME
support; I wrote about them on the nmh-workers mailing list here:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/nmh-workers/2008-06/msg00003.html

Whether any of this gets implemented depends rather on how much time
I have available to work on nmh, unfortunately.

-- PMM

Peter Maydell

Aug 17, 2008, 5:43:58 AM8/17/08
Alan J Rosenthal <fl...@dgp.toronto.edu> wrote:
>If this is a wish-list discussion... something I'd really like is for the
>'To' field of the message to be available in replcomps macros so that I
>could write something like:
>
>From: %(lit)%(formataddr {to})%<(match something)some...@example.com%|fl...@dgp.toronto.edu%>

Does this in your replcomps not do the right thing?

From: Peter Maydell %(void{To})%<(match something)<some...@example.com>%|<pmay...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>%>

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do.
(Personally I use a variation on this that picks the From address based
on the Envelope-To rather than the To.)

>Or a pointer to where in the source code I'd go about adding the 'To' field.
>I looked for it a while when this came up several years ago and couldn't
>find it with a medium-small amount of work.

In general you should be able to get at any header with {Header-name}.
The exceptions are where individual programs override this. In particular
repl's '-nocc to' etc switches work by causing {to} to expand to
nothing. Anyway, if the above rune didn't work for you try fiddling
with what command line switches you're giving repl.

(As far as I can tell the difference is whether you say {To} or {to} --
repl's '-nocc to' switch overrides the latter but not the former. I
suspect this is a bug :-))

PS: wishlist requests are more likely to be remembered for the future
if submitted to nmh's bug tracker: https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?group=nmh

-- PMM

Alan J Rosenthal

Aug 21, 2008, 12:29:49 PM8/21/08
Peter Maydell <pmay...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> writes:
>Alan J Rosenthal <fl...@dgp.toronto.edu> wrote:
>>From: %(lit)%(formataddr {to})%<(match something)some...@example.com%|fl...@dgp.toronto.edu%>
>
>Does this in your replcomps not do the right thing?
>
>From: Peter Maydell %(void{To})%<(match something)<some...@example.com>%|<pmay...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>%>

Boggle, yes it does! Thanks very much.

It seems I need to read a book, rather than just guessing what the directives
mean by examples.

>(As far as I can tell the difference is whether you say {To} or {to} --

I suspect that this interfered with the solution-finding when I asked someone
about this a couple years ago.

thanks,
ajr

Richard

Aug 21, 2008, 6:07:19 PM8/21/08

Peter Maydell <pmay...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> spake the secret code
<oYx*3Y...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> thusly:

>(As far as I can tell the difference is whether you say {To} or {to} --
>repl's '-nocc to' switch overrides the latter but not the former. I
>suspect this is a bug :-))

Hmm... I thought mail header component names were case INsensitive?

Peter Maydell

Aug 22, 2008, 6:45:40 AM8/22/08
In article <g8koun$ka3$1...@news.xmission.com>, Richard <> wrote:
>Peter Maydell <pmay...@chiark.greenend.org.uk> spake the secret code
><oYx*3Y...@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> thusly:
>>(As far as I can tell the difference is whether you say {To} or {to} --
>>repl's '-nocc to' switch overrides the latter but not the former. I
>>suspect this is a bug :-))
>
>Hmm... I thought mail header component names were case INsensitive?

Me too, which is why I think it's a bug.

-- PMM

pd

Aug 28, 2008, 10:00:03 AM8/28/08

Can this be built on Cygwin, or are there binaries available that will
run on Cygwin?

I tried building it last night, but configure failed in trying to find
ndbm, and I didn't see anything like that in the Cygwin distribution
options.

Thanks!

-pd

Peter Maydell

Aug 29, 2008, 1:01:53 PM8/29/08
pd <pfd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Can this be built on Cygwin, or are there binaries available that will
>run on Cygwin?

People have tried building it from time to time with mixed results.
See for instance this bug report:
https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?15247

So if you're prepared to work out why it doesn't build and fix it
(with things which aren't obviously horrible hacks :-)) we'll accept
patches, but I don't think getting it working on Cygwin is really
on anybody's todo list.

>I tried building it last night, but configure failed in trying to find
>ndbm, and I didn't see anything like that in the Cygwin distribution
>options.

I think cygwin has a gdbm package, which ought to satisfy configure.

-- PMM

pd

Aug 31, 2008, 9:48:06 AM8/31/08
On Aug 29, 1:01 pm, Peter Maydell <pmayd...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

Thanks, Peter. If I get the chance to try to resolve it on Cygwin,
I'll certainly try to feed patches back. I did isntall gdbm but still
got the missing files error. I'll plug away at it some more when I
get a chance.

Meanwhile, I still have nmh version 1.0.4 binaries from the version
Earl Hood got working on Cygwin, and I also have some Perl scripts
which meet my most urgent needs.

Thanks!
-pd

Peter Maydell

Aug 31, 2008, 1:33:59 PM8/31/08
pd <pfd...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Thanks, Peter. If I get the chance to try to resolve it on Cygwin,
>I'll certainly try to feed patches back. I did isntall gdbm but still
>got the missing files error.

The include files are probably in a separate package. Google
suggests it might be called libgdbm-devel.

-- PMM

pd

Aug 31, 2008, 6:39:41 PM8/31/08
On Aug 31, 1:33 pm, Peter Maydell <pmayd...@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
wrote:

Right you are!

Thanks,
-pd

pd

Sep 1, 2008, 10:36:24 AM9/1/08
Thanks. libgdbm-devel did indeed solve the configure problems. Now
I'm getting partway through the 'make' process, and getting the errors
below. If this rings a bell or seems obvious to anyone, I'd be *very*
grateful for any clues, suggestions, good jokes, etc.

Thanks!
-pd

make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Peter/nmh-1.3/uip'
gcc -s -o msh msh.o mshcmds.o vmhsbr.o picksbr.o scansbr.o dropsbr.o
mhlsbr.o te
rmsbr.o ../config/version.o ../config/config.o ../mts/libmts.a ../sbr/
libmh.a
-ltermcap
/usr/lib/gcc/i686-pc-cygwin/3.4.4/../../../../i686-pc-cygwin/bin/ld:
warning: au
to-importing has been activated without --enable-auto-import specified
on the co
mmand line.
This should work unless it involves constant data structures
referencing symbols
from auto-imported DLLs.../sbr/libmh.a(discard.o):discard.c:(.text
+0x30): undef
ined reference to `_fpurge'
Info: resolving __timezone by linking to __imp___timezone (auto-
import)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [msh] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Peter/nmh-1.3/uip'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

pd

Sep 3, 2008, 10:42:09 AM9/3/08
I've given up with Cygwin. I put nmh 1.3 on Mac OS X 10.5, and it
built and runs like a champ.

Thanks!
-pd