any problem with using tilde (~) as the 1st char in a mailbox name?

NM Public

Nov 18, 2005, 11:53:52 AM11/18/05
I'm trying to figure out a good way to name certain mailboxes and
directories so that they will show up at the bottom of my Pine
FOLDER LIST. I've experimented with Courier, Cyrus, and UW IMAP
and they all seem to accept names that have tilde (~) as the
first character. My questions:

* Are there any IMAP servers that don't allow names that start
with tilde?

* Is there any reason not to do this?

* If I write about this naming style on my Procmail Quick Start
in this section:

Use Consistent Naming and Formatting Styles
<http://www.ii.com/internet/robots/procmail/qs/#style>

what warnings should I give people?

I know that we shouldn't *have to* deal with ASCII sorting, but
unfortunately my IMAP client of choice doesn't give me much of an
option (but maybe it will in the future, hint hint :-)).

Thank you,
Nancy

--
Nancy McGough ~ <http://www.ii.com> ~ <http://deflexion.com>
IMAP, pine, procmail, data deflexion, infinity, and more
> > > Please keep the discussion in the group < < <

wkearney99

Nov 18, 2005, 12:43:55 PM11/18/05
> * Is there any reason not to do this?

Given it's use as the substitution character for a user's home directory I
can only imagine untold anguish that would cause down the line should other
scripting tools ever want to work with those folders. That some current
servers don't upchuck outright on it does mean much.

> * If I write about this naming style on my Procmail Quick Start

You want to combine this "idea" with procmail? Talk about ripe for
compounding the hassles.

> I know that we shouldn't *have to* deal with ASCII sorting, but
> unfortunately my IMAP client of choice doesn't give me much of an
> option (but maybe it will in the future, hint hint :-)).

And there's no other character that could be used for this purpose?

Mark Crispin

Nov 18, 2005, 12:49:38 PM11/18/05
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005, wkearney99 wrote:
> And there's no other character that could be used for this purpose?

I play it safe, and always use "0" and "z" for such purposes, e.g.
00README
zzPutThisAtTheEnd

-- Mark --

http://panda.com/mrc