So long, and thanks for all the fish!

Mark Crispin

May 20, 2008, 5:55:15 PM5/20/08
I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.

I would like to think that IMAP and Pine communities for nearly two
decades. You've all been wonderful to work with.

I don't know who will take over UW imapd, but some members of the Alpine
development team survived the layoffs. You can contact them at
alpine-...@u.washington.edu.

Thanks to all of you!

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Harold Stevens

May 20, 2008, 7:45:48 PM5/20/08
In <alpine.WNT.1.10.0...@Tomobiki-Cho.CAC.Washignton.EDU> Mark:

[Snip...]

> Thanks to all of you!

Mark, I'm very disappointed to hear this, after many years with your help
online. Best wishes from a Pine fan from way back. :)

I toss GoogleGroup posts from gitgo (http://improve-usenet.org).

Michael Black

May 20, 2008, 10:10:32 PM5/20/08
On Tue, 20 May 2008, Mark Crispin wrote:

> I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.
>
> I would like to think that IMAP and Pine communities for nearly two decades.
> You've all been wonderful to work with.
>
> I don't know who will take over UW imapd, but some members of the Alpine
> development team survived the layoffs. You can contact them at
> alpine-...@u.washington.edu.
>
> Thanks to all of you!

I've used Pine for 12 years, and don't expect to stop.

When I finally moved to Linux in mid-2001, the first distribution
didn't include Pine, and I wasn't up to installing it myself at
that point. So I ended up choosing a distribution because it
did include Pine.

Michael

Art Greenberg

May 20, 2008, 10:22:41 PM5/20/08

Mark,

Thanks for all of your contributions to Pine and IMAP. I hope you're
able to continue doing the work you enjoy, wherever you land.

Good luck!

--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

Stephen Chadfield

May 21, 2008, 4:54:41 AM5/21/08
In comp.mail.imap Mark Crispin <M...@washington.edu> wrote:
> I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.
>
> I would like to think that IMAP and Pine communities for nearly two
> decades. You've all been wonderful to work with.
>
> I don't know who will take over UW imapd, but some members of the Alpine
> development team survived the layoffs. You can contact them at
> alpine-...@u.washington.edu.
>
> Thanks to all of you!

Thanks for all your hard work Mark. IMAP raised email out of the dark
ages.

--
Stephen Chadfield

Holger Marzen

May 21, 2008, 7:02:15 AM5/21/08
["Followup-To:" nach comp.mail.pine gesetzt.]

* On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:55:15 -0700, Mark Crispin wrote:

> I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.
>
> I would like to think that IMAP and Pine communities for nearly two
> decades. You've all been wonderful to work with.

Thanks for the good work. Pine was my first love when I started using
Internet. My first shell account was on a Linux box 1994, and I love
Pine from the first moment when I used it.

> I don't know who will take over UW imapd, but some members of the Alpine
> development team survived the layoffs. You can contact them at
> alpine-...@u.washington.edu.

So Alpine development will continue?

nog

May 21, 2008, 9:35:05 AM5/21/08

and once again - many thanks to all - good luck for the future!
I use pine on linux and windows (alpine) and will continue as long as i
can!

Rob Brown

May 21, 2008, 11:03:57 AM5/21/08
On Tue, 20 May 2008, Mark Crispin wrote:

> I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.

Bummer.

Thanks for all the work you have done and all the advice you have
provided.

Best wishes for your future endeavours.

- Rob

--

Rob Brown b r o w n a t g m c l d o t c o m
G. Michaels Consulting Ltd. (780)438-9343 (voice)

LC's No-Spam Newsreading account

May 21, 2008, 11:37:11 AM5/21/08
Thank you for pine, alpine and imapd.
Good night and good luck !

nos...@mi.iasf.cnr.it is a newsreading account used by more persons to

Kevin Mullet (author with Dianna Mullet of Managing IMAP)

May 22, 2008, 2:48:36 PM5/22/08
On May 20, 4:55 pm, Mark Crispin <M...@Washington.EDU> wrote:
> I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.

Mark,

Please accept my and Dianna's condolences for this curve UW, or the IT
industry in general, has thrown you.
You were an invaluable and accessible resource for the both of us as
we were writing Managing IMAP.
Your patience, knowledge, wisdom and generosity were very helpful as
we tried to get everything just right.

Best of luck as you enter the next chapter.

Kevin Mullet

Beartooth Paganus

May 23, 2008, 5:21:05 PM5/23/08
On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:55:15 -0700, Mark Crispin wrote:

> I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.
>
> I would like to think that IMAP and Pine communities for nearly two
> decades. You've all been wonderful to work with.
>
> I don't know who will take over UW imapd, but some members of the Alpine
> development team survived the layoffs. You can contact them at
> alpine-...@u.washington.edu.
>
> Thanks to all of you!

Keep us posted. I don't doubt the best people will race to snap
you up -- if only because so many of us know that anything youss guyss in
general, and you in particular, may do is sure to be supremely excellent.

--
Beartooth Paganus, Staffwright, Sciurivore
What do they know of country, who only country know?

John Haverty

May 28, 2008, 11:09:41 AM5/28/08
On Tue, 20 May 2008, Mark Crispin wrote in comp.mail.imap and...:

> I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.
>
> I would like to think that IMAP and Pine communities for nearly two decades.
> You've all been wonderful to work with.
>
> I don't know who will take over UW imapd, but some members of the Alpine
> development team survived the layoffs. You can contact them at
> alpine-...@u.washington.edu.
>
> Thanks to all of you!

Mark,

Wow, I do not check the group in a few days and I come back to all kinds
of happenings. Thank you for your help over the years! Good luck to you
in your future career path.

John

david

May 30, 2008, 6:49:16 PM5/30/08
On Tue, 20 May 2008, Mark Crispin wrote:

> I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.
>
> I would like to think that IMAP and Pine communities for nearly two decades.
> You've all been wonderful to work with.
>
> I don't know who will take over UW imapd, but some members of the Alpine
> development team survived the layoffs. You can contact them at
> alpine-...@u.washington.edu.
>
> Thanks to all of you!
>
> -- Mark --

This is very troubling to me. You *ARE* the author of IMAP... you have done so much for Internet
email over the years... and you were LAID OFF? A bad message on corporate culture. Get rid of the
true contributors and intellectuals... hire trainees instead. really depressing. i have followed
your posts for years... Washington edu redefines Pine to Alpine - and then eliminates the very
leaders of that movement. I do wish you the very best. And I do admire also that you would tell
us.. thank you for that. And I wish the very best for you. Maybe this will be a career milestone to
future greatness. I had long felt that your talents exceeded your role. And I hope you stay in
touch with this group.
best regards,
david
--
-----------------------------------
david dsk...@usa.net

Beartooth

Aug 1, 2008, 3:59:23 PM8/1/08
On Tue, 20 May 2008 14:55:15 -0700, Mark Crispin wrote:

> I, along with several dozen other co-workers, was laid off today.

[...]

Given that opprobrious fact, and this statement :

===== ===== ===== =====
> Pine is no longer under active development. Consider evaluating its >
successor, Alpine, which supports all of Pine's functionality and more.
===== ===== ===== =====

which is still at http://www.washington.edu/pine/ -- given both, is it
not a legitimate topic for this group to ask, "What of Alpine, then?"

After eighteen years of the glory Pine and Alpine have reflected
on UW, does it now plan to drop both, and their literally millions of
users, flat? Will any source of operating systems spring into the breach,
if breach there be??

Will UW's sister school WSU stop making Cougar Gold cheese?

Has the San Andreas fault propagated itself all the way up the
Idaho border, prefatory to the whole West Coast falling off and drifting
out to sea, instead of the East as so many used to wish?

Which would be worse?

Seriously, isn't anything known, after over two months? Can it
not be told here? If not here, where? If not now, when?

--
Beartooth Implacable, PhD, Neo-Redneck Linux Convert
What do they know of computers, who only computers know?