Now that the ads are gone...

Luke

Feb 28, 2007, 12:45:07 PM2/28/07
In 7.1 Sponsored Mode I've got the little ad window, which now just
has the Eudora logo, undocked, minimized, and pushed mostly off
screen, but can it be disappeared entirely, without paying <g>?
Thanks!

--
Luke

Froggie the Gremlin

Feb 28, 2007, 1:33:08 PM2/28/07
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 10:45:07 -0700, Luke <lu...@nowhere.invalid> wrotd:

FirstName: Luke
LastName: Skywalker
Code: 4636986383332936

You're welcome <g>...

---<ribbit>

John H Meyers

Feb 28, 2007, 2:14:16 PM2/28/07

o Click in the Ad window and un-check "Allow docking"

o Drag the Ad window (by its top bar) all the way down
until it completely disappears behind your Windows Task Bar.

This alone may make you happy, in which case stop here;
each time Eudora starts up, the very top of the Ad window
may "nudge upwards" a bit, but you can just drag it right down
at any time, and keep it totally vanished.

If you would like to try a slightly different approach,
make sure that the Ad window is un-docked, drag it down
until it vanishes, close Eudora, and then edit Eudora.ini
as follows:

Search for the string "316" until you find these lines:
(if you don't find exactly this, go back and un-dock the Ad window)

Bar#0=0
Bar#1=316
Bar#2=0

Now look within the same [ToolBar-BarXX] section,
generally above where you just found those lines,
and find this line:

MDIChild=0

Change that line to say:

MDIChild=1

Now save your edited Eudora.ini and start Eudora.

If you are displaying Eudora's "MDI task bar"
(Tools > Options > Display > "Show MDI task bar")
then you will now see one button containing M$'s
famous "e" symbol, representing "Internet Explorer,"
which is used to display the ad graphics
from site ads.eudora.com,
although if you had dragged the Ad window to an
off-screen position before editing Eudora.ini,
you won't actually see the Ad window itself any more.

If the taskbar "e" button is bothersome,
you can simply "close" that window
(Ctrl+W, or right-click the button, etc.)

If you decide that this arrangement isn't more likeable
than before, then you can always close Eudora,
then reverse the original edit.

If you still have old ads displaying
and would like to dispense with them,
close Eudora, then look in your Eudora mail data folder
and delete the "EudPriv" sub-folder;
if Qualcomm has permanently ceased to deliver any ads,
as seems to be the case, then this will permanently eliminate
any left-over old ads (the "EudPriv" sub-folder
will be re-generated, but without new ad content).

When no ad is being displayed in the Ad window,
then you are free to move the Ad window off-screen
without ever receiving the old "nag" message
that "something seems to be covering the Ad."

I will post more later about eliminating
"revert to light" for older Eudora versions;
this wouldn't happen for several weeks anyway,
and won't happen with 7.1.0.9 in any case.

Enjoy Eudora in "Un-Sponsored" mode!

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Feb 28, 2007, 2:28:21 PM2/28/07
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 12:33:08 -0600, "Froggie the Gremlin"

[posted a valid "Paid" mode registration code,
although Qualcomm may still be selling licenses
through April 30, 2007]

Well, that will permanently solve it for everyone,
although it may be a controversial issue to some
(perhaps to Qualcomm, however laid back they may be,
even offering refunds after you have received
your own Paid license, if you ask for a refund).

For anyone who doesn't feel completely at home
with using a code generated without paying Qualcomm,
you could enter the given code, then change back to Sponsored mode.

Even for older versions which might have "reverted to light,"
the mere presence of the "Paid" mode registration code
in your Eudora.ini file *should* prevent reverting to light!
(which is easier than the methods which I have posted :)

Enjoy whatever mode in which you wish to use Eudora,
and best wishes.

-[ ]-

Scott Harper

Feb 28, 2007, 4:51:14 PM2/28/07
In article <op.tog3p...@w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu>, "John H Meyers" <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>If you still have old ads displaying
>and would like to dispense with them,
>close Eudora, then look in your Eudora mail data folder
>and delete the "EudPriv" sub-folder;
>if Qualcomm has permanently ceased to deliver any ads,
>as seems to be the case, then this will permanently eliminate
>any left-over old ads (the "EudPriv" sub-folder
>will be re-generated, but without new ad content).

I tried this, but I still got an Ads subdirectory with its own AdCache
subdirectory populated back in the new EudPriv directory. And there is
still the "To remain in Sponsored mode Upgrade Now!" ad in there. Is that
just a one-time thing, or is there a way to dispense with that as well?

This is on a 5.2 install, so it might be related to your "revert to light"
discussion below:

>I will post more later about eliminating
>"revert to light" for older Eudora versions;
>this wouldn't happen for several weeks anyway,
>and won't happen with 7.1.0.9 in any case.

scott

Luke

Feb 28, 2007, 5:39:37 PM2/28/07
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 13:14:16 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:45:07 -0600, Luke wrote:
>
>> In 7.1 Sponsored Mode I've got the little ad window,
>> which now just has the Eudora logo, undocked, minimized,
>> and pushed mostly off screen, but can it be disappeared entirely,
>> without paying <g>?
>
>o Click in the Ad window and un-check "Allow docking"
>
>o Drag the Ad window (by its top bar) all the way down
> until it completely disappears behind your Windows Task Bar.

[snip]

Been there, done that, it's fairly unobtrusive.

>If you would like to try a slightly different approach,
>make sure that the Ad window is un-docked, drag it down
>until it vanishes, close Eudora, and then edit Eudora.ini
>as follows:

[snip]
>MDIChild=1
[snip]

>If you are displaying Eudora's "MDI task bar"
>(Tools > Options > Display > "Show MDI task bar")
>then you will now see one button containing M$'s
>famous "e" symbol

[snip]

Yikes! That notorious "e" is much more offensive (to me) than
Qualcomm's Eudora symbol pushed nearly off screen :-).

>If the taskbar "e" button is bothersome,
>you can simply "close" that window
>(Ctrl+W, or right-click the button, etc.)

[snip]

No way in Eudora to permanently remove the dread "e"?

>Enjoy Eudora in "Un-Sponsored" mode!

I am. So nice after years in the plain text desert with 3.0.6 to see
all the pretty pictures everyone insists on sending.

Thanks much John.

--
Luke

Luke

Feb 28, 2007, 5:40:01 PM2/28/07

Thanks, but having used Eudora Light 15 years for free, even for this
anti-capitalist atheist what little is left of my conscience says no.
On second thought.... ;-)

--
Luke

John H Meyers

Feb 28, 2007, 8:10:45 PM2/28/07
Previously:

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:51:14 -0600, Scott Harper wrote:

> I tried this, but I still got an Ads subdirectory
> with its own AdCache subdirectory populated back
> in the new EudPriv directory. And there is still the
> "To remain in Sponsored mode Upgrade Now!" ad in there. Is that
> just a one-time thing, or is there a way to dispense with that as well?

The folders (and the two files mentioned below)
normally do regenerate (even in Paid mode), but it then
requires downloads via http from Qualcomm's ad servers
for any additional files to be created anew.

Is anyone else still getting ads in Sponsored mode,
after closing Eudora and deleting the "EudPriv" subfolder
from your current email data folder?

If the "Properties" of the shortcut which you use
to start Eudora contains a command line that has
two paths (the first ending with "Eudora.exe"),
then the second path locates your Eudora data folder;
otherwise, to locate your Eudora email data folder, see
"Where are my mailboxes and other Eudora data files located"
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2722hq.html
(look also in file "deudora.ini" for a "DataFolder=" line)

Having located your current data folder,
do you find any other files in the "EudPriv/Ads" sub-folder,
besides: AdCache, CInfo.dat, and Eudora.idx ?

If so, what file name(s), and what modification dates/times?

Files with names such as "1051612330.mfs" are dated files
which are downloaded from adserver.eudora.com,
specifying detailed available ad info, including the URLs
to graphic images at ads.eudora.com; those graphic images
(.jpg and .png) are then downloaded into the AdCache folder,
where they remain cached so that Eudora can display them
in rotation for a while, until it's time to
try to go fetch a new bunch.

Please check whether any ".mfs" file(s) or image files
have today's modification date, and if so,
could you list any name(s) of any current ".mfs" files
(if not current, list the latest one,
with the highest number in its name).

I can't seem to get any ads myself today,
nor can I display previously known ad image URLs,
but perhaps mileage may vary elsewhere.

I believe there's no harm in temporarily changing
to sponsored mode (which I do all the time myself),
in case any Paid subscribers would also like to check this out;
most people also know how to create shortcuts to brand new
email data folders, which can then be used for unlimited
experimentation, without affecting any previously existing folders.

> This is on a 5.2 install, so it might be related

> to your "revert to light" discussion.

I don't know of any different behavior between versions,
except that version 7.1.0.9 is supposed to have disabled
various behaviors of "nagging" for not getting ads,
and presumably for not registering, not profiling,
or being asked to send statistics (since all of this stuff
will eventually be shut down at Qualcomm).

By the way, is there a reason for staying at 5.2?

Thanks for any feedback, and best wishes.

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Feb 28, 2007, 8:55:27 PM2/28/07
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:39:37 -0600, Luke wrote:

[after making the Ad window "float in main window"
(but out of sight) via an edit of Eudora.ini]

> No way in Eudora to permanently remove the dread "e"?

You could turn off Eudora's "MDI task bar" :)

Or just hit Ctrl-W (to close the window)
at the outset of each session.

But even leaving the Ad window in its original,
non-MDI state, if the Windows task bar
is at the bottom of the screen,
and if the Windows task bar "Properties"
include "Always on top" but not "Auto hide,"
then Eudora's Ad window should totally vanish
when dragged down behind Windows' task bar
(it slightly pops up next time,
when Eudora is first started, but then
it takes only half a second to "bury" it again).

I don't think you're bothering with this anyway,
seeing your last post, but perhaps someone else
still has an interest in this arcane issue.

-[ ]-

sf

Mar 1, 2007, 12:44:35 AM3/1/07
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 19:55:27 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>But even leaving the Ad window in its original,
>non-MDI state, if the Windows task bar
>is at the bottom of the screen,
>and if the Windows task bar "Properties"
>include "Always on top" but not "Auto hide,"
>then Eudora's Ad window should totally vanish
>when dragged down behind Windows' task bar
>(it slightly pops up next time,
>when Eudora is first started, but then
>it takes only half a second to "bury" it again).
>
>I don't think you're bothering with this anyway,
>seeing your last post, but perhaps someone else
>still has an interest in this arcane issue.

The "arcane issue" you're talking about isn't anything I'm interested
in... but I have Eurdora 7+ and the sponsored window has been "dead"
for a couple of days.

Does anyone know why it happened and/or what can I do about it? I use
the ad screen undocked and I don't ever bury it. In fact, I think
their ads have become more interesting in the past few months... so
ads are not an issue for me. What *IS* an issue is the fact that the
ads are not displaying. Unfortunately, I don't remember the "fix".

Apparently no one in this thread officially represents Eudora, so I
probably won't get an answer about how to fix the problem. My only
need is to get the ads back in the "sponsored by" window so I can
continue using Eudora in sponsored mode.

TIA

--
See return address to reply by email

John H Meyers

Mar 1, 2007, 7:03:06 AM3/1/07
On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:44:35 -0600, <sf> wrote:

> I have Eudora 7+ and the sponsored window

> has been "dead" for a couple of days.

Thanks for confirming that you don't receive them, either.

> Does anyone know why it happened and/or what can I do about it?

It's supposed to happen, because Qualcomm
is no longer selling ads,
and has predicted since last October
that they were going to stop:
http://www.eudora.com/faq/#Sponsored

> I use the ad screen undocked and I don't ever bury it.
> In fact, I think their ads have become more interesting
> in the past few months...

All I could recently get were "GoToMyPC" and "eFax";
maybe you have better cable service in your area :)

> so ads are not an issue for me. What *IS* an issue
> is the fact that the ads are not displaying.
> Unfortunately, I don't remember the "fix".

It doesn't need fixing; sooner or later
(and it looks like sooner, perhaps right now)
the beloved ads cease to be broadcast,
and the old TV goes dead (the same is supposed
to happen for "low-definition" broadcast TV in USA, alas)

> My only need is to get the ads back in the "sponsored by" window
> so I can continue using Eudora in sponsored mode.

You can continue using Eudora "in perpetuity," as Qualcomm says,
because receipt of the ads is no longer necessary; Windows
Eudora version 7.1.0.9 and Mac version 6.2.4 no longer care
whether or not ads are received (this was set up long
ahead of time, so that Eudora could be used "forever"
without further user action of any kind).

If you review this entire thread, you will see various
additional options you can take, none of which are necessary;
you can toss the "blank" Ad window away, if you like
(or leave it, it doesn't matter to Eudora),
or do something else that could be slightly controversial,
but no matter what you do, all will continue to go well,
except for the lack of interesting ads -- if you miss those,
just install some "Adware," and you'll be bombarded
with more ads than you could ever even look at,
even if it were your full-time job :)

-[ ]-

Luke

Mar 1, 2007, 10:26:59 AM3/1/07
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:39:37 -0600, Luke wrote:
>
>[after making the Ad window "float in main window"
>(but out of sight) via an edit of Eudora.ini]
>
>> No way in Eudora to permanently remove the dread "e"?
>
>You could turn off Eudora's "MDI task bar" :)

[snip]

I like the task bar, but detest the "e", so it's back to pushing the
old ad window mostly out of sight in a corner. A tiny annoyance now
the ads are gone from the window and toolbar :-). Thanks for your
help.

>I don't think you're bothering with this anyway,
>seeing your last post, but perhaps someone else
>still has an interest in this arcane issue.

No, haven't done that. Have you?

--
Luke

Scott Harper

Mar 1, 2007, 11:06:29 AM3/1/07
In article <op.tohj7...@w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu>, "John H Meyers" <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>Having located your current data folder,
>do you find any other files in the "EudPriv/Ads" sub-folder,
>besides: AdCache, CInfo.dat, and Eudora.idx ?
>
>If so, what file name(s), and what modification dates/times?
>
>Files with names such as "1051612330.mfs" are dated files
>which are downloaded from adserver.eudora.com,
>specifying detailed available ad info, including the URLs
>to graphic images at ads.eudora.com; those graphic images
>(.jpg and .png) are then downloaded into the AdCache folder,
>where they remain cached so that Eudora can display them
>in rotation for a while, until it's time to
>try to go fetch a new bunch.
>
>Please check whether any ".mfs" file(s) or image files
>have today's modification date, and if so,
>could you list any name(s) of any current ".mfs" files
>(if not current, list the latest one,
>with the highest number in its name).

My "Ads" directory has 1058405698.mfs, dated today, and the AdCache directory
has 6194fc42.jpg dated yesterday (which was when I deleted/regenerated the
EudPriv directory). But like I said, the graphic is for the "To remain in
Sponsored mode Upgrade Now!" ad, so it's not a "real" ad, more like an
internal Eudora ad.

Also, having entered a fake registration code per your other thread about
personalizing the splash/about screens, I am still getting the nag to go
register. I tried the "real" (?) registration code posted earlier in this
thread just for kicks, and that doesn't seem to have any impact either.

With Eudora supposedly going away from a paid version, I was kind of wondering
if there would be a way to get rid of all the nags...

>> This is on a 5.2 install, so it might be related
>> to your "revert to light" discussion.
>
>I don't know of any different behavior between versions,
>except that version 7.1.0.9 is supposed to have disabled
>various behaviors of "nagging" for not getting ads,
>and presumably for not registering, not profiling,
>or being asked to send statistics (since all of this stuff
>will eventually be shut down at Qualcomm).
>
>By the way, is there a reason for staying at 5.2?

5.2 works the way I need it to, I like the look and feel, and I don't
particularly need (or want) all the flashy new features introduced since, so
why mess with a good thing? :-)

scott

Scott Harper

Mar 1, 2007, 11:09:48 AM3/1/07
In article <op.tohma...@w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu>, "John H Meyers" <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 16:39:37 -0600, Luke wrote:
>
>> No way in Eudora to permanently remove the dread "e"?

>I don't think you're bothering with this anyway,

>seeing your last post, but perhaps someone else
>still has an interest in this arcane issue.

I tried it... I'm like Luke, I like the task bar, but I detest the "e". I'd
rather have the ad window.

Also, it took several tries of changing back to MDIChild=0 before I could get
things back to the "original" way. But I eventually did...

scott

Old Enough

Mar 1, 2007, 1:24:25 PM3/1/07
wrote:

>If you would like to try a slightly different approach,

>make sure that the Ad window is un-docked, drag it down
>until it vanishes, close Eudora, and then edit Eudora.ini
>as follows:
>
>Search for the string "316" until you find these lines:
>(if you don't find exactly this, go back and un-dock the Ad window)
>
>Bar#0=0
>Bar#1=316
>Bar#2=0
>
>Now look within the same [ToolBar-BarXX] section,
>generally above where you just found those lines,
>and find this line:
>
>MDIChild=0
>
>Change that line to say:
>
>MDIChild=1

This worked for me.

>Now save your edited Eudora.ini and start Eudora.

____________________________
Old enough . . .
to know I don't know a thing.

John H Meyers

Mar 1, 2007, 5:06:44 PM3/1/07
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 10:06:29 -0600, Scott Harper wrote:

> My "Ads" directory has 1058405698.mfs, dated today...

> the graphic is for the "To remain in Sponsored mode Upgrade Now!" ad

> so it's not a "real" ad, more like an internal Eudora ad.

Well, that's probably a new file,
so although I can't get any computer here to download ads,
you must have a better connection :)

I can go directly to a couple of graphic file URLs
that were in my last ".mfs" file (you can view these in
Notepad with "WordWrap" turned on, to see the readable
content -- just don't "save" the file) and see graphics,
so it may be that Qualcomm is doing exactly
what it says at http://eudora.com/faq/#Sponsored, which reads:

"QUALCOMM plans to stop trafficking outside advertising
on February 28, 2007 and all advertising will cease on March 31, 2007"

Qualcomm has also been using the "Ad" mechanism to advertise
that it wants Sponsored folks to use the latest version
(although I believe that any Windows versions can be kept
working anyway, with minor help), so I guess we'll all
have to wait a bit longer for "ads" to finally disappear,
after all.

-[ ]-

Scott Harper

Mar 1, 2007, 6:21:06 PM3/1/07
In article <op.toi6d...@w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu>, "John H Meyers" <jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:
>Qualcomm has also been using the "Ad" mechanism to advertise
>that it wants Sponsored folks to use the latest version
>(although I believe that any Windows versions can be kept
>working anyway, with minor help), so I guess we'll all
>have to wait a bit longer for "ads" to finally disappear,
>after all.

You asked why I was still using 5.2. This begs the converse question... is
there a really good reason why I should upgrade to 7.x, even in Sponsored
mode?

scott

John H Meyers

Mar 2, 2007, 2:07:24 PM3/2/07
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 17:21:06 -0600, Scott Harper wrote:

> You asked why I was still using 5.2.
> This begs the converse question...

> is there a really good reason why I should upgrade to 7.x.
> even in Sponsored mode?

To 7.1, "to get rid of all the nags," as you had asked :)

Each version's "Readme" and "Release notes"
summarize improvements and fixed bugs
(sometimes cumulatively for several versions),
so you may peruse those to determine
whether any of that is useful to you
(note that some security issues have been addressed
since your version, besides what others may consider
only minor or cosmetic improvements).

You may get rid of nags by periodically deleting
the "EudPriv" sub-folder of your email data folder,
and by also deleting all the "NGxxxx=" lines
from your "Eudora.ini" file;
this action can be automated by a "batch/command" file
which I have previously posted a few times
(I have suggested using a shortcut to that file
for starting Eudora, in place of the existing shortcut,
letting the command file in turn use your original shortcut
to automatically start Eudora).

I have just had a rousing success, in that my experimental
version 6.2.5.6 which I have long blocked from contacting
Eudora's ad servers has finally, after at least a couple of weeks,
reverted me to "Light" mode, so I'll be checking to see
just how it has indicated that, to complete the picture
of making sure that we can forever prevent older versions
from ever returning to Light mode.

But lunch is of course a priority interrupt :)

-[ ]-

Old Enough

Mar 2, 2007, 3:00:24 PM3/2/07
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 13:07:24 -0600, "John H Meyers" <jhme...@nomail.invalid>
wrote:

>and by also deleting all the "NGxxxx=" lines
> from your "Eudora.ini" file;

I've done that a long time ago, and to keep them from coming back, I marked the
"Eudora.ini" file "read only".
However, I found that any time I edited the file for any reason, they came back,
and I had to remove them again.

John H Meyers

Mar 2, 2007, 5:44:56 PM3/2/07
On Fri, 02 Mar 2007 14:00:24 -0600, Old Enough wrote:

> I've [deleted "NGxxxx=" lines from Eudora.ini] a long time ago,

> and to keep them from coming back,
> I marked the "Eudora.ini" file "read only".
> However, I found that any time I edited the file for any reason,
> they came back, and I had to remove them again.

Eudora.ini keeps track of many things, including your toolbars,
certain window sizes and placements, personalities,
file associations for attachments, etc.,
so that if Eudora.ini were left read-only,
none of those essential functions would work.

I recommend using the posted windows command file instead,
or even just those few lines within it
which automatically remove the "NG" lines from Eudora.ini:

echo Copying Eudora.ini to Eudora.ibk
copy Eudora.ini Eudora.ibk /y
echo (restore it if script fails below)
echo Editing Eudora.ini
rem Remove "NGxxxx" lines from Eudora.ini
find /v "NGBase" < Eudora.ini > Eudora.i$1
find /v "NGLast" < Eudora.i$1 > Eudora.i$2
find /v "NGLoc" < Eudora.i$2 > Eudora.i$3
find /v "NGUpdate" < Eudora.i$3 > Eudora.ini
del Eudora.i$?

Meanwhile, I compared my two most recent versions
of Eudora.ini, one made just before I was finally
"reverted to Light mode" (for having blocked the
ad servers for several weeks), and another just afterwards.

Basically, it had just changed my operating mode back to Light,
and had reset my toolbars; all that was needed for me
to go back to Sponsored mode was the usual
Help > "Payment & Registration" then click "Sponsored"

Restoring a recent backup of Eudora.ini would be even better,
because it would restore the toolbars and personalities,
to save the trouble of manually re-configuring.

The file ...\EudPriv\Ads\CInfo.dat,
which records information about seeking Ad server contact,
also changes in every session, and may record something
about how long or how many times contact is attempted,
but in any case, the suggested complete command file,
as posted, not only removes all the "NGxxxx=" lines
from Eudora.ini (which is sufficient to suppress most "nags,"),
but also deletes everything from the "Ads" folder,
causing the above file to be newly regenerated anyway.

So in any case, I believe that using a script to start Eudora
will certainly prevent reverting Sponsored to Light mode
"before the fact," as well as cure it "after the fact,"
so I believe that there is no need to heed Qualcomm's warning
that upgrading to version 7.1.0.9 is "mandatory,"
except for someone who has no information or source for help.

If anyone using a version older than 7.1.0.9
would like to use a shortcut to this command file

for starting Eudora, in place of the existing shortcut,
letting the command file in turn use your original shortcut

to automatically start Eudora, then just save a copy
of the command file in each mail data folder
(as "anyname.cmd" in NT/2000/XP/2003 or "anyname.bat" in 98/ME),
move the existing shortcut into the data folder,
and create a new shortcut by right-clicking the copied
command file and choosing "Send to..." "Desktop"

See also the note near the end of the command file
about having the shortcut name at the end of the command file
agree with the actual name of the shortcut, so that the command file
can call the original shortcut, as its final action.

Don't forget to make a backup copy of Eudora.ini elsewhere,
before setting all this up, as an extra precaution.

If you don't know where your mail data folder is,
then look at the "Properties" of the shortcut which you use
to start Eudora -- if it contains a command line

that has two paths (the first ending with "Eudora.exe"),
then the second path locates your Eudora data folder;
otherwise, to locate your Eudora email data folder, see
"Where are my mailboxes and other Eudora data files located"
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/2722hq.html

"Locating Eudora on your hard drive"
http://eudora.com/techsupport/kb/1607hq.html

(look also in file "deudora.ini" for a "DataFolder=" line)

----- Command file follows (just store it) -----
@ echo off
rem Keep Eudora in "Sponsored" mode without ads

rem Copy this file into your Eudora mail folder
rem (where you find Eudora.ini, not program files),
rem along with the original shortcut
rem which had been used to start Eudora,
rem and use a shortcut to *this* file instead,
rem in place of that original shortcut
rem (or just open this file directly).

rem Make sure that Eudora is not already running
if not exist owner.lok goto nolock
echo.
dir owner.lok | find /i "lok"
echo WARNING: EUDORA IS CURRENTLY IN USE, please close it first.
echo.
pause
goto end

: nolock

rem Remove all Ad files and AdCache directory
rem (these normally regenerate anyway as needed).
echo Ignore errors here...
del EudPriv\Ads\AdCache\?*.*
rmdir EudPriv\Ads\AdCache
echo There should be NO more errors below...
del EudPriv\Ads\?*.*
copy nul EudPriv\Ads\AdCache

echo Copying Eudora.ini to Eudora.ibk
copy Eudora.ini Eudora.ibk /y
echo (restore it if script fails below)

rem IMPORTANT: make sure you've kept a backup elsewhere,
rem IMPORTANT: not just the copy made above!
echo Editing Eudora.ini
rem Remove "NGxxxx" lines from Eudora.ini
find /v "NGBase" < Eudora.ini > Eudora.i$1
find /v "NGLast" < Eudora.i$1 > Eudora.i$2
find /v "NGLoc" < Eudora.i$2 > Eudora.i$3
find /v "NGUpdate" < Eudora.i$3 > Eudora.ini
del Eudora.i$?

rem Now start the original Eudora shortcut
rem (which should be moved into *this* folder).

rem Your shortcut may be renamed to "_Eudora"
rem (matching the command below, omitting ".lnk")

rem Or you can edit the command below,
rem to match the existing shortcut name, adding ".lnk"

echo Starting Eudora (via original shortcut)
rem Either "start _Eudora.lnk" or just "_Eudora.lnk"
_Eudora.lnk

echo If any non-ignorable errors occurred,
echo then restore Eudora.ini before re-running script.
pause (remove this line after ensuring proper results)

: end
rem END OF SCRIPT FILE

John H Meyers

Mar 3, 2007, 12:18:23 AM3/3/07
Apparently the Qualcomm ad server is still operating,
but the only ad seems to be the "upgrade now" admonition
from Qualcomm, recommending the "final" upgrade
to prevent "reverting to Light" for Sponsored users.

This seems to be in accordance with
http://eudora.com/faq/#Sponsored
which reads in part:

"QUALCOMM plans to stop trafficking outside advertising
on February 28, 2007
and all advertising will cease on March 31, 2007"

So nothing will be lost to Qualcomm by suppressing
the lovely "Mandatory Upgrade 7.1w / 6.2.4m" ad series,
which you can still admire here:
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2353.jpg (Road sign 1)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2354.jpg (Road sign 2)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2355.jpg (One way)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2356.jpg (Hand)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2357.jpg (Warning)
http://ads.eudora.com/current/2358.jpg (Eye)
http://www.eudora.com/download/ (where all go when clicked)

To suppress ads from appearing at all in Sponsored mode,
close Eudora and delete everything below the .../EudPriv/Ads folder
(including the "AdCache" folder), then create an empty text file
and rename the latter to "AdCache" (*not* "AdCache.txt");
the "Ad" window will thereafter be blank, and may be un-docked
and moved so far down that it will completely vanish
behind the Windows task bar, in most cases,
with no complaint whatsoever about "covering the ad window."

An elsewhere-posted command script also does this same thing.

"Ad-free at last!" [Alfred E Neuman]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_E._Neuman

-[ ]-

sf

Mar 4, 2007, 9:36:16 PM3/4/07
On Thu, 01 Mar 2007 06:03:06 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 23:44:35 -0600, <sf> wrote:
>
>> I have Eudora 7+ and the sponsored window
>> has been "dead" for a couple of days.
>
>Thanks for confirming that you don't receive them, either.
>
>> Does anyone know why it happened and/or what can I do about it?
>
>It's supposed to happen, because Qualcomm
>is no longer selling ads,
>and has predicted since last October
>that they were going to stop:
>http://www.eudora.com/faq/#Sponsored

Thanks for the link! I wonder why they didn't post it in their ad
window? I see they are moving Eudora to open source.... so will this
ng stay alive and talk about new open source builds? I hope it
doesn't get too complicated. I like it as it is now.... maybe small
things could be improved, but I'm so ignorant about those things I
don't have a clue. What I don't want is for it to become bloat ware
that tries to be all things to all people the way Forté Agent has
become.

<snip>

>> My only need is to get the ads back in the "sponsored by" window
>> so I can continue using Eudora in sponsored mode.
>
>You can continue using Eudora "in perpetuity," as Qualcomm says,
>because receipt of the ads is no longer necessary; Windows
>Eudora version 7.1.0.9 and Mac version 6.2.4 no longer care
>whether or not ads are received (this was set up long
>ahead of time, so that Eudora could be used "forever"
>without further user action of any kind).

Great! I won't complain. I just didn't want them to start nagging me
about covering the ad screen when I'm not at fault.

>If you review this entire thread, you will see various
>additional options you can take, none of which are necessary;
>you can toss the "blank" Ad window away, if you like
>(or leave it, it doesn't matter to Eudora),

I'll pass. Thanks for the synopsis.... How do I "toss" the ad window?

>or do something else that could be slightly controversial,
>but no matter what you do, all will continue to go well,
>except for the lack of interesting ads -- if you miss those,
>just install some "Adware," and you'll be bombarded
>with more ads than you could ever even look at,
>even if it were your full-time job :)

Maybe I got better ads than you did. I had ads for books that I'd
actually read myself or buy for kids. In any case, I regarded the ad
window as a necessary evil, but clicked on it every now and then to
let Qualcomm know I appreciated using Eurora for free.

Thanks for the information.

sf

Mar 4, 2007, 9:47:25 PM3/4/07

What is this E you're talking about and what is the MDI task bar?

John H Meyers

Mar 5, 2007, 1:51:53 PM3/5/07
On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:36:16 -0600, <sf> wrote:

>> you can toss the "blank" Ad window away, if you like
>> (or leave it, it doesn't matter to Eudora)

> How do I "toss" the ad window?

Right-click the (now grey and ad-less) ad window,
un-check "Allow docking," then left-click its top bar
and drag it down to the very bottom of the screen,
where it will usually completely vanish
under the Windows task bar.

At the start of new Eudora sessions, the ad window
may poke its head up slightly; you can drag it back down again
and leave it there for the entire session -- there will be
no messages about the ad window being "covered"
when there is no ad displaying at all
(this applies to all versions, even pre-7.1,
but old versions are still displaying Qualcomm's
"ads" about upgrading, so those versions would still complain
about covering Qualcomm's ads, until even those disappear).

You can immediately suppress both ads and "reverting to Light,"
even for older versions in Sponsored mode,
by using the posted command file,
if your operating system, IMAP server, or personal preference
persuades you to not install "final" version 7.1

Replacing the "AdCache" folder with a file
also suppresses Qualcomm's ads from displaying on pre-7.1,
and periodically deleting all other files
from the "Ads" folder erases Eudora's memory
of how long it's been unable to download any new ads
(if that were to go on for at least a couple of weeks,
then Eudora would go back to Light mode, although you
could change right back to Sponsored anyway, so big deal :)

The purpose of the command script is to automate all of this,
so that pre-7.1 versions can continue ad-less forever.

-[ ]-

Jon Purkey

Mar 5, 2007, 2:50:15 PM3/5/07
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>o Click in the Ad window and un-check "Allow docking"
>
>o Drag the Ad window (by its top bar) all the way down
> until it completely disappears behind your Windows Task Bar.
>
>This alone may make you happy, in which case stop here;
>each time Eudora starts up, the very top of the Ad window
>may "nudge upwards" a bit, but you can just drag it right down
>at any time, and keep it totally vanished.

Thanks. After getting a warning today I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1 and
have now done the above. Will I get any more warnings from Eudora? If
I move the ad window onscreen I see that it is not displaying anything
other than the Eudora logo. Haven't seen any ads for several days.

When Eudora starts the ad windows is in the lower right corner, only
covering part of the "NUM" whatever that's for. (Been using Eudora for
years and have never bothered to look up what the NUM is for.)

Frank Lekens

Mar 5, 2007, 4:09:29 PM3/5/07
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:50:15 GMT Jon Purkey wrote:

> (Been using Eudora for
> years and have never bothered to look up what the NUM is for.)

Numlock on/off indicator.
--
Frank
(xs4all dot nl is where it's really @)

Frank Lekens

Mar 5, 2007, 4:12:36 PM3/5/07
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 12:51:53 -0600 John H Meyers wrote:

> On Sun, 04 Mar 2007 20:36:16 -0600, <sf> wrote:
>
>>> you can toss the "blank" Ad window away, if you like
>>> (or leave it, it doesn't matter to Eudora)
>
>> How do I "toss" the ad window?

<snip elaborate explanation>

Geeze, what a lot of trouble to have to go to.
Now that they're discontinuing the product anyway, why not just release the
paid version for free, or float around a serial number for everyone to use
(on the part of Qualcomm, I mean).

I mean, *I*'ve paid for Eudora for all these years and I wouldn't begrudge
other users the free ride.

John H Meyers

Mar 5, 2007, 4:26:51 PM3/5/07
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:50:15 -0600, Jon Purkey wrote:

> After getting a warning today I upgraded from 7.0 to 7.1

> and have now [moved the Ad window off-screen].

> Will I get any more warnings from Eudora?

There shouldn't be any, but post a note here if you ever see one.

> If I move the ad window on-screen I see that it is
> not displaying anything, other than the Eudora logo.

> Haven't seen any ads for several days.

R.I.P. :-)

Eudora version info is sent to the ad server,
which now apparently returns to version 7.1 clients
a kind of "empty list," so that no ads actually download.

Pre-7.1 clients get a list containing one Qualcomm "ad,"
which serves to continue nagging and asserting that
you have to upgrade to avoid Sponsored mode reverting to Light mode,
due to pre-7.1 Eudora being programmed to presume you guilty
of blocking the ad servers if appropriate files never download,
which eventually will happen when ad servers are decommissioned.

However, experiment seems to have confirmed
that it is easy to prevent this, and also easy
to change right back again if it ever did occur.

> When Eudora starts, the ad window is in the lower right corner,

> only covering part of the "NUM" whatever that's for.

Indicates "Num Lock" on your keyboard, duplicating an indicator
which is on most keyboards anyway.

There is also an OVR indicator (overwrite mode),
and I presume a Caps Lock indicator
(though I don't have such a mode in my OS :)

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Mar 5, 2007, 4:58:28 PM3/5/07
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:12:36 -0600, Frank Lekens wrote:

> Geeze, what a lot of trouble to have to go to

> [to get rid of the Ad window]

One (actually optional) docking option change,
and one drag off-screen is that much trouble?

It could be worse -- one could want to set up
a Personality, or adjust spell-checking options :)

> Now that they're discontinuing the product anyway,
> why not just release the paid version for free,
> or float around a serial number for everyone to use
> (on the part of Qualcomm, I mean).

That exact suggestion was anticipated and mentioned
as a possibility in Qualcomm's patent application --
yes, the entire Ad system is patented! See:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/e743701846bc9ebb

However, Qualcomm has thus far given no indication
that it will do this of its own accord.

> I mean, *I*'ve paid for Eudora for all these years
> and I wouldn't begrudge other users the free ride.

Good, then you don't object to someone's having already
posted a code (apparently created using a "keygen,"
not his own reg code or anyone else's),
although we don't know how Qualcomm feels about it
(they say that they are still selling licenses thru April 30, 2007
and it's also possible that not everyone voluntarily purchasing
will be as content to see that the next guy didn't).

Even a thorough web search can find reg codes, so it's not that
anyone with desire can't find one anyway, but it surprised me
to see someone do it in this newsgroup, kind of "in Qualcomm's face"

-[ ]-

John H Meyers

Mar 5, 2007, 5:06:06 PM3/5/07
By the way, the additional "Ad toolbar" is already gone,
even from pre-7.1 clients still getting Qualcomm's
"upgrade" ads -- apparently because the ad server
no longer feeds "ad toolbar" icons to the client,
which used to cause an extra,
non-removable toolbar to appear,
on which two or three sponsor links would always remain.

-[ ]-

Luke

Mar 6, 2007, 9:23:34 AM3/6/07

See John H Meyers' reply to my question starting this thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.mail.eudora.ms-windows/msg/fad587dff67a4390?hl=en&

HTH.

--
Luke

Terry

Mar 6, 2007, 1:05:01 PM3/6/07
On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 20:23:24 GMT, katam...@hotmail.com (Terry)
wrote:

=>
=>I think I may have boobooed by paying to register my sponsored V.
=>6.6.6.1. The ads are gone, I have control over junk now, but I can't
=>get rid of the wasted space where the ads were.

I stumbled across the fix, in my case anyway. Start by exiting Eudora

1. Make a copy of eudora.ini

2.In the "real" eudora.ini search for the string "316".
(Thanks, John Meyers)associated with Bar 10

3. Change docking=1 to docking=0

4. Save and restart Eudora

5.Right-click in the open area and then left-click "Search
Bar" to remove it.

Voila!! Full-screen Eudora!

Hope it works for you!
Cheers--T

Terry--WB4FXD
Edenton, NC

John H Meyers

Mar 6, 2007, 2:13:18 PM3/6/07
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 12:05:01 -0600, Terry wrote:

>> can't get rid of the wasted space where the ads were.

> I stumbled across the fix, in my case anyway. Start by exiting Eudora
>
> 1. Make a copy of eudora.ini
>
> 2.In the "real" eudora.ini search for the string "316".

> associated with Bar 10

The toolbar number may vary (and the bar number string appears
in more than one location within Eudora.ini), which is why directions
were posted in a particular way, which I believe will work for everyone.

That gimmick (equivalent to "float in main window" for the ad)
allows you to "close" the ad window like any other window
(with Ctrl+W for example), as an alternative to un-docking
and "drowning under Windows task bar," which is another way.

-[ ]-

Jon Purkey

Mar 6, 2007, 4:47:02 PM3/6/07
On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 15:26:51 -0600, "John H Meyers"
<jhme...@nomail.invalid> wrote:

>> When Eudora starts, the ad window is in the lower right corner,
>> only covering part of the "NUM" whatever that's for.
>
>Indicates "Num Lock" on your keyboard, duplicating an indicator
>which is on most keyboards anyway.
>
>There is also an OVR indicator (overwrite mode),
>and I presume a Caps Lock indicator
>(though I don't have such a mode in my OS :)

Thanks. The OVR indicator could be useful. I sometimes enter that mode
by mistake.

Hopefully all will go well with the ad window gone. It is nice being
able to see my entire mailbox list without scrolling.

John H Meyers

Mar 6, 2007, 5:10:20 PM3/6/07
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 15:47:02 -0600, Jon Purkey wrote:

> The OVR indicator could be useful.
> I sometimes enter that mode by mistake.

The "overwrite" mode can be completely disabled,
if you wish:

AllowOverwriteMode=0
(insert into Eudora.ini [settings] section)

or

X-Eudora-Option:AllowOverwriteMode=0
(click on "link" within Eudora message window)

I've done this myself,
and no more accidentally wipe out my existing text
as I'm typing new text :)

A visibly different "insert vs. overwrite" cursor style
(as implemented in many other applications) would have helped
more than an indicator far off in the screen corner,
since the cursor is always right where you are looking,
but apparently this improvement was never considered.

-[ ]-

Daniel Jacobson

Mar 6, 2007, 8:21:46 PM3/6/07
In article <op.tosfv...@w2kjhm.ia.mum.edu>, jhme...@nomail.invalid says...

> AllowOverwriteMode=3D0
> X-Eudora-Option:AllowOverwriteMode=3D0

FYI:
I know I am using an old NewsReader, but just letting you know that all
your postings that have the letter combination of =0 come out =3D

You may want to disable quoted printable or whatever . . .
Yours are the only posts that display these letter combinations
incorrectly to me.

My Newsreader posts as:

Yours show as:
Over and Out
Daniel Jacobson

John H Meyers

Mar 6, 2007, 9:32:41 PM3/6/07
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 19:21:46 -0600, Daniel Jacobson wrote:

> jhme...@nomail.invalid says...
>
> AllowOverwriteMode[equals]3D0
> X-Eudora-Option:AllowOverwriteMode[equals]3D0

> I know I am using an old NewsReader,

> [which has difficulty with QP encoding]

> but just letting you know

> that all your postings that have [any equals sign]
> [translate the equals sign to "equals"3D]

Note that I'm doctoring every equals sign to the word "equals"
for this one post,
so that it doesn't get progressively worse for you in each post :)

> You may want to disable quoted printable or whatever . . .

I would love to, because it's messed up a lot of my posted short
programs too, but it's a bug in Opera version 9 (thru current 9.10),
which is not under user control; here's a mighty long thread on it,
which I started myself:

Mailing/posting programs containing "equals" [started 11 Oct 2006]
http://groups.google.com/group/opera.mail+news/browse_thread/thread/78e0200c98564de

Here is an Opera software guy declaring it a bug:
http://groups.google.com/group/opera.mail+news/msg/202036544852cd11

Quote:

What you're seeing is a bug. As you've figured out, whenever a
message body contains an "equals", the message is sent QP-encoded.
I've filed a bug report... We try to use 7bit encoding for
US-ASCII messages and 8bit otherwise. QP is a fallback,
mostly because it makes reading messages difficult.

It's a bit unfair to everyone else, however,
if I post lines for Eudora.ini which need an "equals"
but spell it out instead, which I think Eudora
will not itself understand very well :(

Thanks very much for being so observant,
and for offering the suggestion
(also please post in opera.mail+news
to remind Opera Software ASA to fix the bug :)

-[ ]-

sf

Mar 7, 2007, 2:00:45 AM3/7/07

Sorry, it didn't. That article was about the ad screen (mine says:
"Eudora" now). I was hoping for a link to a screen shot because I
don't have an "E" (visualizing IE's E) anywhere in sight and can't
remember seeing one in relationship to Eudora.

Luke

Ajo Wissink

Mar 7, 2007, 10:22:39 AM3/7/07
On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:00:45 -0800, sf wrote:

Expanding on Luke's post, the MDI taskbar is the very useful taskbar
near the bottom of the Eudora window that shows all your open mailboxes
and messages. Eudora can have multiple mailboxes and messages open at
the same time, making it possible to easily switch between them and work
on many at the same time. This MDI taskbar is one of the outstanding
features of Eudora.
--

Ajo Wissink

sf

Mar 8, 2007, 12:10:34 AM3/8/07

Ok... I followed the path you laid out and the MDI task bar is
checked. I guess I must have dragged it off to Never Never land as
soon as I saw it, because there is no E anywhere. I am not an IE fan.

John H Meyers

Mar 9, 2007, 12:51:12 PM3/9/07
On Wed, 07 Mar 2007 23:10:34 -0600, <sf> wrote:

> the MDI task bar is checked...
> there is no "e" anywhere.

If (and only if) you change the properties of the Ad window
to that it "floats in main window" (becomes like most other
open windows within Eudora), *then* the open Ad window gets
represented by a button on the "MDI taskbar," and the icon
which appears on that button is then the Internet Explorer icon
("e"), because the Ad window (which displays only an image)
is *always* displayed using Internet Explorer; it also
becomes possible in this situation to simply close
that window, making it completely disappear from
within the Eudora application, not just to drag it
to the edge of the monitor screen.

There is no built-in way to change that Ad window
to "float in main window"; however, that property
can be changed by manually editing Eudora.ini

If anyone can find a different adjustment to get
a "close button" [x] to appear on that window,
this would provide an alternate way
to make the Ad window vanish completely
(although dragging down to vanish beneath
an "always on top" Windows task bar is nearly equivalent).

-[ ]-

pham...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2007, 10:19:15 AM3/23/07

How certain are you that this will work? I don't want to revert to
Light Mode come Apr 1st, but there is no point to upgrade to 7.1
because the school is closing in 2 months.

John H Meyers

Mar 23, 2007, 10:52:14 PM3/23/07
On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:19:15 -0500:

[about using posted methods, including a script file that you can store,
and instructions for making a new Eudora shortcut to swap with the old,
to keep Eudora versions prior to 7.1.0.9 in Sponsored mode indefinitely]

> How certain are you that this will work?

I am very sure that I've researched a great deal,
poked into the operation on my own computer a lot
(to see what's happening within Eudora.ini and Ad files),
written the script very carefully, tested it very thoroughly
on my own computer (while blocking my computer from contacting
Eudora Ad servers for several weeks), researched again
at http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm to make the script
as compatible as possible with all Windows versions,
included careful directions suggesting to keep a separate
back up of Eudora.ini for protection against even
script or MS-DOS failures, and that even after I let my
6.2.5.6 version be starved of ads *without* using my script,
until it did try to "revert to light,"
it could even then be manually stopped at that very moment
from doing so, or could be allowed to change to light mode,
but then was willing to be changed right back again to Sponsored.

What I didn't do was to try any other versions
besides Eudora 6.2.5.6 running on Windows 2000,
nor had I the time to see whether Eudora could be allowed to
go on, even without a script, manually changing back each time
for months, to see whether it would try harder to "stick"
in light mode -- it's known that there's a Mode=3 value
for Eudora.ini which tries to demand "profiling" before
becoming Sponsored again (and believes that you have,
if you just click "OK"); of course even something
like that could be edited right back again to undo it,
so my imagination is runnning out of ideas for how Eudora
could defeat all these measures, whether manual or automated,
even if we long neglect to even start employing them.

This is not proof beyond all possibilities in the universe,
however, and I (even like Qualcomm) disclaim all liability
should things not work perfectly, including but not limited to
your computer bursting into flames -- but if you post
or email something and I'm still alive and able to access
newsgroups or email, I'll see whether I can be of help.

I think it may actually even depend a little on whether
Eudora works -- after all, how sure is Qualcomm
that they didn't introduce some unknown bug
into all their "final version" changes
(as they seem to have done with regard to other details),
and how do they know whether 7.1.0.9 in Sponsored mode will *really*
never complain about *anything*, six months down the road from now?
(if it does, I bet that they will do nothing at all about it,
the same as for any other "final permanent bugs" still in the product).

> I don't want to revert to Light Mode come Apr 1st...

It seems to take some more weeks of "ad starvation" after that,
at least for 6.2.5.6 (some versions may complain more than others),
and of course it's been reported more than once that you can
change yourself right back again to Sponsored mode.

> but there is no point to upgrade to 7.1
> because the school is closing in 2 months.

Are you managing all the computers in a school?

What version are you using now?

It takes only minutes to install a new version
(probably less time than to follow the instructions for
installing the suggested alternative "no light mode forever"
script and swapping the shortcuts), so I can't see it not
being just as feasible to install 7.1 when you can.

This idea of keeping older versions forever in Sponsored mode
is meant only for those who otherwise need to keep the older
version, perhaps because IMAP got broken in v7, as some say,
or if Windows 98/ME gets flaky with any standard feature of 7.1,
which may or may not ever really happen, or if the old computer
is out of memory or disk space and can't run the installer,
or any other compelling reason (e.g. insecurity, forgetting
or not having the Administrator account password on your computer,
fear of disturbing anything [if it ain't broke don't fix it],
preference for the older splash screen, sentimental attachment,
or even previous bad luck with the number 7 :)

There are also other free email programs -- one called "Penelope,"
supposedly replacing Eudora, is apparently occupying the original
Eudora developers' attention right now.

Oh, and of course anyone can still register for paid mode
(which will last forever, and will equally forever liberate
any version 4.3 thru 7.1) until April 30 2007, for a mere
US$19.95 by credit card, at http://www.eudora.com/buying/

Finally, it seems almost a certainty that either as a protest
or as a "service," especially if anyone does feel very put out
by any emerging obstacles, someone will eventually post
paid mode registration codes (again), or offer by mail.

Since so many are already on indexed web sites anyway,
that cat can hardly be kept in the bag, and is a final
"safety net" for even the most severe case of vertigo.

-[ ]-

pham...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2007, 2:48:45 PM3/24/07
We are using version 6.2.3.4 on a Novell Win/98XP network. The
network was
poorly created and when I was handed this network from my predecessor,
I was
not given many options. The main hassle would be going around to all
computers and changing the icons on each faculty PC because Eudora
would be
installed on the server.

John H Meyers

Mar 25, 2007, 2:41:15 AM3/25/07
On Sat, 24 Mar 2007 13:48:45 -0500:

> We are using version 6.2.3.4 on a Novell Win/98XP [school] network

> The network was poorly created and when I was handed this network
> from my predecessor, I was not given many options.

And everyone uses Sponsored mode?

> The main hassle would be going around to all computers
> and changing the icons on each faculty PC
> because Eudora would be installed on the server.

Is the Eudora *program* installed on the server?

If it were, then perhaps one can replace the v6 program
with v7.1 in that one single place, if it exists in only
that one place, rather than having been installed
on every individual faculty PC -- that would be
an ideal solution, with nothing else needed.

If each PC has its own Eudora.exe of vintage 6.2, however,
then it would require installing the 7.1 program
on each of those PCs, or else focusing instead
on the folders where the mail is stored,
to apply this script instead.

If all the folders where the mail is stored
happen to be on the server, then you can
store a script file into all of them,
while sitting at just one workstation
(where you can access the server as an admin).

If shortcuts to start Eudora, each pointing to
its own mail storage folder, are also on the
server, then fabulous, that too would be a breeze to handle;
otherwise you have to somehow get to modify something
on each individual PC, even if only a shortcut.

If all (or some) PCs are members of a "domain" where
you are the admin, then you'd be able to access
their local "logical disk drives" as well,
from one place, as we can; otherwise a "house call"
to visit each PC seems unavoidable.

However, it's also possible to email every owner
of every PC, attaching a copy of 7.1 to install, say,
or putting it somewhere convenient to find, on the server,
or email instructions how they can manually
keep Eudora sedated indefinitely, by themselves :)

Or register and get a code, and store it directly
into the one program folder, or else into the
individual mail folders (if they are on the server);
the format of a "regcode.dat" file is:

Eudora-File-Type: RegCode
Eudora-First-Name: firstname
Eudora-Last-Name: lastname
Eudora-Reg-Code: 1111-2222-3333-4444

When Eudora finds the regcode.dat file,
it will pop up an approval box,
and then install it automatically if accepted.

If "the school is closing in two months" anyway,
and there are no ads left to see,
there must be some suitable strategy
among all these alternatives.

-[ ]-