550 5.7.1 Authentication Required Error (Verizon DSL)

frank1492

Nov 17, 2008, 10:04:19 AM11/17/08
As noted earlier, this just came out of the blue. No settings were
changed that I know of. I can't send anything, but mail is received
just fine.
Has anyone had this happen and do you know of a cure?
Mozilla Thunderbird has no problems sending.
Help much appreciated.
Frank

Allie

Nov 17, 2008, 10:34:23 AM11/17/08

Do you have your "use name and password" checked under Tools -> Account
Settings -> Outgoing Server(SMTP) -> Edit? It could be that Verizon
changed their settings.

I don't see the rest of the thread here, so perhaps i've missed some
history. If so, please excuse my post.

John H Meyers

Nov 17, 2008, 5:21:02 PM11/17/08
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 09:04:19 -0600, Frank wrote:

> As noted earlier, this just came out of the blue. No settings were
> changed that I know of. I can't send anything, but mail is received
> just fine.

> Mozilla Thunderbird has no problems sending.

In Thunderbird, for the Verizon SMTP server that you are actually using,
what are these settings:

Server name: ?
Port: ?
Use secure connection: [which choice?]
Use name and password [is it checked?]

Now look at the "Properties" of the personality in Eudora
which you are using to send mail (right-click the personality icon
in the "Personalities" tool window to get to the "properties").

Is the SMTP server name the same?

Is the "secure connection" choice made in Thunderbird
the same as the "Secure Sockets when Sending" choice in Eudora?
(it's the same four choices, and same default port for each)

Does Verizon use port 587?
Does this match your "Use...587" choice in Eudora?

Is "Allow authentication" check-marked in Eudora? (should be)

Is the user name associated with your Eudora personality
(the one sending mail) the exact same user name you gave to Thunderbird?

frank1492

Nov 18, 2008, 11:12:29 PM11/18/08
Thank you both. I have just returned from a trip and will check these
settings tomorrow.
I hope your ideas will help, but I will point out two things:
(1) In the past I experienced *intermittent* authentication errors.
These generally occurred with complex e-mails (forwards with
mixed fonts, for example) or those with large attachments. This
is the first time the problem has been indefinite and applying to
even the simplest test messages.
(2) I downloaded Thunderbird when Eudora wouldn't work,
and I did an automatic transfer of Eudora settings at the time,
so I wouldn't think the setttings in the two could differ but I
will check.
Thanks again for your interest. I'll be back soon.
Frank

On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:34:23 -0500, Allie <als_...@hotmail.com>

Allie

Nov 19, 2008, 8:38:38 AM11/19/08
frank1492 wrote:
> Thank you both. I have just returned from a trip and will check these
> settings tomorrow.
> I hope your ideas will help, but I will point out two things:
> (1) In the past I experienced *intermittent* authentication errors.
> These generally occurred with complex e-mails (forwards with
> mixed fonts, for example) or those with large attachments. This
> is the first time the problem has been indefinite and applying to
> even the simplest test messages.
> (2) I downloaded Thunderbird when Eudora wouldn't work,
> and I did an automatic transfer of Eudora settings at the time,
> so I wouldn't think the setttings in the two could differ but I
> will check.
> Thanks again for your interest. I'll be back soon.
> Frank

good luck. the only thing i can think of that would be giving you those
problems is some sort of timeout, or something like that. strange. You
can also play with the smtp submission port too - you can try port 587
instead of the default 25. But that's just a shot in the dark.
Finally, if you have access to a different SMTP server, you can set that
one up instead of verizon's.

Froggie the Gremlin

Nov 19, 2008, 7:36:58 PM11/19/08
On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:38:38 -0500, Allie <als_...@hotmail.com> wrotd:

There's been a lot of discussion (no solutions yet) in the local Verizon
groups about these intermittent authentication errors. Although I'm a VZ
user, I dumped their email (not for this reason) about 2-mo. after I signed
up for their service a few years back. It was just too intermittent and
very flakey... especially black hole emails (both OUT and IN).

---<ribbit>

frank1492

Nov 20, 2008, 2:03:56 PM11/20/08
Could you show me where to look for this discussion??? I am most
interested to see what others are experiencing. The problem, once
intermittent, now appears permanent. I need help from others.
Note that switching my email programs (Thunderbird) seems to
have solved the problem.
Frank

Jerry Wolf

Dec 2, 2008, 11:47:18 PM12/2/08
On Nov 20, 2:03 pm, frank1492 <frank1...@verizon.net> wrote:
> Could you show me where to look for this discussion??? I am most
> interested to see what others are experiencing. The problem, once
> intermittent, now appears permanent. I need help from others.
>     Note that switching my email programs (Thunderbird) seems to
> have solved the problem.
>     Frank

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&message.id=932
http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=High_Speed_Internet&thread.id=618
http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=1018

John H Meyers

Dec 3, 2008, 12:22:38 AM12/3/08
On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 22:47:18 -0600, Jerry Wolf wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2:03 pm, frank1492 <frank1...@verizon.net> wrote:

>> Could you show me where to look for this discussion??? I am most
>> interested to see what others are experiencing. The problem, once
>> intermittent, now appears permanent. I need help from others.
>> Note that switching my email programs (Thunderbird)
>> seems to have solved the problem.

Jerry Wolf's post elsewhere
> http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=FiOS_Internet&thread.id=1018

Note, however, that the error which "frank1492" is reporting
(which is the "Subject" of this thread)
is while _sending_ via SMTP,
whereas the error which Jerry Wolf is reporting
is while _receiving_ via POP.

Sometimes the outgoing (sending, SMTP) errors occur because of
not even marking "Allow authentication" (something which you can't forget
for POP, because there's no such thing as POP without authenticating),
or because of the SMTP server in a given personality
having a different username/password than the POP server
(this requires telling the POP personality to get its SMTP info
from a different "relay" personality while sending mail).

If the specific error (as may be revealed by a log)
happens to be in the same area as Jerry's
(authentication using CRAM-MD5),
then one might try telling Eudora not to use CRAM-MD5
(this will apply both to POP and SMTP,
so perhaps it will cure two separate diseases at the same time :)

Paste the following into a new message in Windows Eudora
and click on the resulting highlighted "link"
while pressing ALT on keyboard, then click OK:

X-Eudora-Option:SMTPAuthBanished=CRAM-MD5

Further info:
http://www.eudora.com/techsupport/ini.html

"I'm nobody! Who are you?
Are you nobody, too?
Then there's a pair of us -- don't tell!
They'd banish us, you know."

http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/english/melani/cs6/nobody.html

hubri...@verizon.net

Sep 7, 2014, 2:15:21 AM9/7/14
You need to go to account settings, more settings, and then click "outgoing server". There is a checkbox to indicate your server (SMTP)requires authentication. Check it and you should be good to go.

Steven Saunderson

Sep 8, 2014, 2:19:38 AM9/8/14
The Internet must be a little slow out your way at the moment.

Cheers,
Steven