smpt after pop

Ben Bondinger

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Hello,

I just wanted to ask, if it is possible to use SMTP after POP with
Eudora 3.x?
Eudora should fist contact the pop3-server and sent then the mail with
the smtp server.
The e-mail provider GMX requires this.
It only works one time and next time I check mail he wants to send the
mails without connecting to the pop server.

Any ideas?

Thank you for your help,

Benjamin

Ben Bondinger

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
> When you check mail it works the first time with smtp
> after pop. Then you have to leave Eudora and restart it before
> checking mail again then it will work again with smtp after pop. Or
> you have to download a tool from the gmx-site which always opens a
> time-window for smtp for half an hour.

Hello,

yes, I did the same: I always restarted EUDORA, but I think this cannot
be the solution :-(
And I know the tool from the GMX site too, but I think that EUDORA must
be able to do smtp after pop.
Perhaps someone knows a "trick" or a way that can solve this f******
problem.

Thanks for your help and I hope to get THE ANSWER soon in this NG :-)

Greetings,
Benjamin

John Tubbs

Feb 10, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/10/99
Ben Bondinger wrote:

> I just wanted to ask, if it is possible to use SMTP after POP with
> Eudora 3.x?
> Eudora should fist contact the pop3-server and sent then the mail with
> the smtp server.
> The e-mail provider GMX requires this.
> It only works one time and next time I check mail he wants to send the
> mails without connecting to the pop server.

Yes, it's possible. If you configure Eudora to Check mail on startup, it
will contact your POP3 server. When you want to send mail, you can do it by
Checking Mail, if you've got Send on Check selected.

John

Coi...@mindspring.com

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 23:50:13 +0100 has passed; yet time cannot erase the
words of Ben Bondinger <mik...@geocities.com>:

>yes, I did the same: I always restarted EUDORA, but I think this cannot
>be the solution :-(
>And I know the tool from the GMX site too, but I think that EUDORA must
>be able to do smtp after pop.

I take it your service provider uses this as an authorization technique
for the outgoing mail server; and you must connect to SMTP within some
set, brief period of time after closing a validated POP3 connection?

Apparently, when Eudora was written this technique wasn't commonly used.

I should think the simplest way to handle this would be, at:
Tools > Options > Sending Mail
to UNcheck both the options:
Immediate send
Send on check
and always use:
File > Check Mail
immediately before using:
File > Send Queued Messages
to send your mail.
--
Peace, Randy aka Coi...@MindSpring.com
(Pages at http://www.mindspring.com/~coises/ were updated 31 Jan 1999.)

Ben Bondinger

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Hello,

> Yes, it's possible. If you configure Eudora to Check mail on startup, it
> will contact your POP3 server. When you want to send mail, you can do it by
> Checking Mail, if you've got Send on Check selected.

could you please explain me what settings I have to change exacltly? And
if I change this setting Eudora always contacts the pop3 server before
sending the mail with the smtp server and not only the first time I
start Eudora?

The possibility to send mail via pop3 does not work.

Thankx for your help,

Greetings,
Benjamin

Ben Bondinger

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Hello,

> I just wanted to ask, if it is possible to use SMTP after POP with
> Eudora 3.x?

I found a solution for myself by using ICQ and I think that this can be
s solution for a lot of others, because I think that many people use
ICQ.
Then I inserted my pop3 settings in the ICQ-settings "Check E-Mail" and
told it to check for new mail every 5 minutes. These e-mail checks
always connect to the pop3 server and so I can send the entire time I am
online mails to the smtp server with EUDORA without any problems.
This solution is much more easier than using the GMX-program to activate
the account every time.

But perhaps someone has a solution that only uses EUDORA :-?

Greetings,
Benjamin

John Tubbs

Feb 11, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/11/99
Ben Bondinger wrote:

> Hello,
>
> > I just wanted to ask, if it is possible to use SMTP after POP with
> > Eudora 3.x?
>
> I found a solution for myself by using ICQ and I think that this can be
> s solution for a lot of others, because I think that many people use
> ICQ.

Hey! There's already too many users on ICQ for the number of servers they
have! Please stop recruiting new users! :-)

John

Ben Bondinger

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Hello,

> Enable Tools | Options | Sending Mail : Send on check.

I enabled this setting already, but the problem is, if I wrote some
mails I connect to the internet and click on check mail.
Then Eudora connects to the pop3 server, downloads my mail and sends the
messages I wrote - no problem,
but then I write the answers to the messages I got and I click on check
mail again: now Eudora first connects to the smtp server and wants to
send my messages before connecting to the pop3 server.

> It should. But better yet, go to Tools | Options | Checking Mail and put
> some non-zero value in Check for mail every nn minutes.

But I don't want to enable this setting, because I am not connected all
the time to the internet and then Eudora asks me every five minutes to
connect. And perhaps you don't know how high the rates for a local call
are in Germany :-(

Greetings,
Benjamin

John Tubbs

Feb 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/12/99
Ben Bondinger wrote:

> But I don't want to enable this setting, because I am not connected all
> the time to the internet and then Eudora asks me every five minutes to
> connect. And perhaps you don't know how high the rates for a local call
> are in Germany :-(

Is your computer in a phone booth?

Ben Bondinger

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99

> Is your computer in a phone booth?

Why that?

You have to pay for a local call $4 US ca.

John Tubbs

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99

$4.00 for a local call? It's 35 cents in a phone booth . . .

John

Ben Bondinger

Feb 13, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/13/99

> > You have to pay for a local call $4 US ca.

> Ben, you're joking, aren't you? Or perhaps you misread the currency
> conversion table? <g>

I would be so happy if I could make jokes about this, but here in
Germany we have the German Telecom and the have the monopol on the local
calls.
I think there is no other country on this planet where we have so high
telephone rates for local calls as in Germany.
But possibly (I hope !!) there will change something, but this can take
a while (1 or 2 years :-( , but then it is allowed for private telephone
companies to offer their products, but the German Telecom with its
monopol will destroy these private companies and they will have no
chance I think.

This is a very sad situation. NO FLATRATES! AND yes it's right
$4 US --- ! PER HOUR ! ---

You can believe this????

I hate this f****** company!

Greetings,
Ben

John Tubbs

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Adam Kippes wrote:

> In <36C57251...@geocities.com>, Ben Bondinger wrote:
>
> > You have to pay for a local call $4 US ca.
>
> Ben, you're joking, aren't you? Or perhaps you misread the currency
> conversion table? <g>

Yeah, what this "US ca." thing?

John

John Tubbs

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Adam Kippes wrote:

> > $4.00 for a local call? It's 35 cents in a phone booth . . .
>
> Do you live in California? We finally went from a dime to a quarter not too
> long ago.

Yes . . . they said Californy is the place I oughta be . . . so I loaded up
my truck and I moved . . . here.

Hell, that song, "Here's a quarter--call someone who cares" is OLD!

John

Ben Bondinger

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
ca. means approximately !

Ben Bondinger

Feb 14, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/14/99
Hello,

the price is so high and this is not very cool, but I think this is not
the right newsgroup to talk about telephone companies...

Greetings,
Benjamin

Adam Kippes wrote:

> In article <36C69147...@mbay.net>, John Tubbs says...

> > Yeah, what this "US ca." thing?
>

> Approximate? But imagine having to pay $4 per hour just for local
> access... now *that* would keep the teenagers off the phone! Or out
> of the chat rooms these days, I suppose.
>
> -- AK
>
> --
> adam....@pobox.com
> PGP keys available from servers

John Tubbs

Feb 15, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/15/99
Ben Bondinger wrote:

> the price is so high and this is not very cool, but I think this is not
> the right newsgroup to talk about telephone companies...

Thanks for clearing that up. :-)

John

Hugh Watkins

Feb 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/20/99
yes this is why we like to work offline in Europe
but Eudora Pro 4.1 is very economical collecting my mail very quickly
and then disconnecting

outlook expess can call up but fails to disconnect - oh dear Bill!

Hugh W

http://fotw.meldgaard.dk/flags/