Using SQLite with xHarbour

kennedyv

Sep 4, 2009, 11:30:05 AM9/4/09
Has anyone managed get SQLite3 working with xHarbour?

Rene Flores

Sep 4, 2009, 3:24:59 PM9/4/09
kennedyv:

> Has anyone managed get SQLite3 working with xHarbour?

AFAIK someone out there was working on the wrappers to use SQLite
directly with xHarbour un console mode

I've done successful connections with SQLite with Xailer which comes
with a build-in SQLite client, just link a library and you are done.

Xailer comes with a SQLite manage tool included in the IDE, a
DataSource/DataSet classes for managing SQLite tables, and a native
client in LIB format

Regards

Rene Flores
http://www.ciber-tec.com

Qatan

Sep 8, 2009, 12:50:27 AM9/8/09
Hello Rene,

I didn't but would like to know a bit more about it.
Look at: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Board/5300/sqlite/hbsqlite_en.htm
I am very interested to use it on an example application that
creates, manages, save and deletes records... I was reading a bit
about it and it is pretty impressive.

Qatan

Sudip

Sep 8, 2009, 8:17:41 AM9/8/09
Hello Friends,

May be I am wrong. But I heard, SQLite doesn't have Logical, Date
fields and everything except numbers is saved as char. Is it true?

I never used SQLite and I am also interested about it. So, please
correct me if I am wrong.

With best regards.

Sudip

Qatan

Sep 8, 2009, 8:55:40 AM9/8/09
Hello Supid and friends,

There are more information about SQLITE datatypes at:
http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html

About the features, go to this address: http://www.sqlite.org/features.html

I would like to use it to test because the features are
interesting. Specially the "zero configuration" and "transactions are
atomic, consistent, isolated, and durable (ACID) even after system
crashes and power failures." (information from the website: http://www.sqlite.org)

This link:http://www.sqlite.org/whentouse.html "describes
situations where SQLite is an appropriate database engine to use
versus situations where a client/server database engine might be a
better choice." (from SQLITE website)

When you should not use: "If you have many client programs
accessing a common database over a network, you should consider using
a client/server database engine instead of SQLite. SQLite will work
over a network filesystem, but because of the latency associated with
most network filesystems, performance will not be great. Also, the
file locking logic of many network filesystems implementation contains
bugs (on both Unix and Windows). If file locking does not work like it
should, it might be possible for two or more client programs to modify
the same part of the same database at the same time, resulting in
database corruption. Because this problem results from bugs in the
underlying filesystem implementation, there is nothing SQLite can do
to prevent it.
A good rule of thumb is that you should avoid using SQLite in
situations where the same database will be accessed simultaneously
from many computers over a network filesystem." (from SQLITE website)

Is someone using it? Could you please post your experiences to us?

Qatan

Sudip

Sep 8, 2009, 11:15:54 AM9/8/09
Hello Friend Qatan,

Thank you for lots of valuable information. I browsed www.sqlite.org
as per your advice. I also tested one harbour example with sqlite. Is
there any RDD for Sqlite? If yes, can we update data with it?

Regards.

Sudip

Sudip

Sep 13, 2009, 7:28:23 AM9/13/09
On Sep 8, 8:15 pm, Sudip <sudipb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Friend Qatan,
>
> Thank you for lots of valuable information. I browsedwww.sqlite.org
> as per your advice. I also tested one harbour example withsqlite. Is
> there any RDD forSqlite? If yes, can we update data with it?
>
> Regards.
>
> Sudip

Hello Friends,

I am very much interested about SQLite. I ran some console based
samples. I also ran one GUI sample developed with Minigui Extended.
This GUI sample is very basic, still it shows the power of SQLite.
Now, I want to create a GUI sample with typical ADD, MODIFY and DELETE
actions.

I am very much interested about SQLite especially for the licensing
issue of MySql. I am searching for a maintenance free light weight
RDBMS for my clients. May be SQLite will be the answer. But, I can
confirm it after testing.

It will be very helpful, if anyone share his/her experiences with
SQLite :-)

With best regards.

Sudip

Sudip

Sep 14, 2009, 6:29:55 AM9/14/09
Hello Friends,

I just created my first project with SQLite which can create database
and table and add, modify, delete records.

I created this with HMG Official and I believe it can easily be ported
into any xHarbour library.

With best regards.

Sudip

Qatan

Oct 1, 2009, 8:37:24 AM10/1/09
Hello Sudip,

It's nice you could do it.
Would you like to put the source code with the binnary files available
for download so other users would try it too?
I think an good working example would be of great value for someone
starting with it (like me).
Regards,

Qatan

Sudip

Oct 5, 2009, 10:41:26 AM10/5/09
Hello Qatan,

Thank you for your interest.

I created this with HMG Official and I believe it can easily be ported
into any xHarbour library.

You may find source code and executable files with step by step
discussion from http://www.hmgforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=853

You may mail me personally regarding this also.

With best regards.

Sudip

Reinaldo

Oct 6, 2009, 10:50:13 AM10/6/09
Hi.

Perhaps I’m biased in my opinion and, before I go on, I must make the
disclaimer that our company has partnered with Sybase to distribute

If SQL lite is **not** a client-server SQL engine, then what's the
advantage over using ADS-Local? With ADS you get SQL syntax without
loosing the traditional dbf navigation. You can learn SQL at your own
pace while still developing as you always have. Using ADS we were
able to distribute the very same app to much larger customers. 200
concurrent users is not frightening with ADS.

With ADS you get triggers, hot-backups, SQL set based transactions,
rollbacks, traditional navigation like dbskip() and dbgoto(), enhanced
field types, field constraints, replication, views, php/perl/java
clients, Internet access to your dbfs, no need for shares and/or drive
mappings from workstations… And all of this with the very same
source!!! You can switch from local server to remote server without
even a re-compile of the app.

If the xharbour developer is looking for a more stable and expandable
data platform, then IMO -ADS is the obvious choice (if even the free
local server edition). And I find price for the client-server edition
very affordable.

I just can’t hide the fact that I’m totally in love with ADS and must
thank Rene Flores as well as others on these ngs for sharing their
knowledge and experience with the product.

Reinaldo.

Sudip

Oct 7, 2009, 8:09:32 AM10/7/09

Hello Reinaldo,

Is ADS an OPEN SOURCE PRODUCT? If yes, I shall try it.

And are you advertising your company's commercial product in this
discussion group?

I am asking this question, because I can't understand it. Please
clarify, if you don't mind.

With best regards.

Sudip

Reinaldo

Oct 8, 2009, 10:28:19 AM10/8/09
Sudip;

It was my main intention to be helpful. I'm not interested on
contending. I apologize for my lack of clarity. I'll try to make it
simpler and clearer:

(1) ADS IS NOT OPEN SOURCE and YES WE DO distribute ADS, as well many
others.
(2) however the local version is free of charge. The local version
equates to the way SQL-lite works.
(3) it is easier for the xharbour developer to write systems using ADS
than it is using SQL lite.
(4) you can move to the client-server version [after purchase], but do
not need to change your source.
(5) ADS has all the features of most major SQL engines such as MS-SQL
and while using the "local" version it is free.
(6) SQL lite (ms-sql, oracle, mysql, postgress) does not allow for dbf
navagation. To me this is a major drawback.

It is my opinion that for an xharbour developer is a lot easier to use
ADS than SQL lite and there is further gain than with most SQLs. This
is why sometimes I comment on ADS everytime I see xharbour developers
moving all their code to any SQL other than ADS. I only mean to be
helpful the way other people, like Rene Flores, has been helpful to me
on these forums when I didn't know about ADS.

I accept that there are many other reasons to use Access, sql-lite,
oracle, MS-SQL, My-SQL, Paradox, postgress, etc... But if you are
looking to move to SQL to garnish the benefits that it offers without
loosing dbf navagation and continue with xharbour programming, then
IMO ADS is a better choice.

Hope that helps and is clearer,

Reinaldo.

Sudip

Oct 8, 2009, 12:55:42 PM10/8/09
Hello Reinaldo,

Thanks a lot for your reply.
I never used ADS. I want to test the local version. From where shall I
download it?

I have some points in my mind:-
1) Is ADS a zero configuration DBMS like Sqlite?
2) Can I use SQL commands with ADS. So that any SQL Database project
can be ported to it easily (may be I am thinking in a different
angle)?

With best regards.

Sudip

Xailer Team

Oct 23, 2009, 6:24:53 AM10/23/09

Consider the use of Xailer (http:www.xailer.com), incudes a complety
support of SQLite with some extras:

- Encryption
- Additional date&time format (SQLite by default treats date&time
values as strings)
- New core functions on SQLite statements for handling the new
date&time format
- Our own SQLite adminitratration tool
- Windows locale sorting

Regards,