vhdl / verilog comparing

Maurice

Jan 10, 2010, 10:11:27 AM1/10/10
Hello:

I know very well VHDL, and nothing about Verilog. which is better and why?

thanks

Maurice

Jonathan Bromley

Jan 10, 2010, 1:22:33 PM1/10/10
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:11:27 +0200, "Maurice" wrote:

>I know very well VHDL, and nothing about Verilog. which is better and why?

are you trying to incite a riot?
--
Jonathan Bromley

Mike Treseler

Jan 10, 2010, 1:26:40 PM1/10/10
Maurice wrote:

> I know very well VHDL, and nothing about Verilog. which is better and why?

Verilog has more built-in support for printing debug messages.
VHDL has more built-in support for advanced synthesis.

-- Mike Treseler

Maurice

Jan 10, 2010, 3:26:07 PM1/10/10

"Jonathan Bromley" <jonathan...@MYCOMPANY.com> wrote in message

Not at all, why??
Simply, I don't know anything about verilog, I would just have an idea about
it, comparing with vhdl

Maurice

Maurice

Jan 10, 2010, 3:27:04 PM1/10/10

"Mike Treseler" <mtre...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thank you

Mike Treseler

Jan 10, 2010, 4:10:00 PM1/10/10
Maurice wrote:
> "Jonathan Bromley" <jonathan...@MYCOMPANY.com> wrote in message
>> are you trying to incite a riot?

> Not at all, why??

> Simply, I don't know anything about verilog, I would just have an idea about
> it, comparing with vhdl

I am sure that Jonathan intended humor.
If you google this group on vhdl vs verilog
you will find many long and contentious treads.

-- Mike Treseler

Rob Gaddi

Jan 11, 2010, 12:05:15 PM1/11/10
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 17:11:27 +0200
"Maurice" <mori...@yahoo.fr> wrote:

VHDL, because you already know it.

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order

Petter Gustad

Jan 11, 2010, 12:22:36 PM1/11/10
Mike Treseler <mtre...@gmail.com> writes:

> VHDL has more built-in support for advanced synthesis.

What do you have in mind here?

Petter
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Mike Treseler

Jan 11, 2010, 12:28:03 PM1/11/10
Petter Gustad wrote:
> Mike Treseler <mtre...@gmail.com> writes:
>> VHDL has more built-in support for advanced synthesis.
> What do you have in mind here?

Single process entities using no signals.
http://mysite.verizon.net/miketreseler/

Petter Gustad

Jan 11, 2010, 4:53:17 PM1/11/10
Mike Treseler <mtre...@gmail.com> writes:

> Petter Gustad wrote:
>> Mike Treseler <mtre...@gmail.com> writes:
>>> VHDL has more built-in support for advanced synthesis.
>> What do you have in mind here?
>
> Single process entities using no signals.

Why is single process with no signals more advanced when it comes to
synthesis?

Andy

Jan 11, 2010, 5:51:32 PM1/11/10

If you need to do fixed or floating point arithmetic in hardware, VHDL
has it in spades over Verilog. This is just one example of the
inherent language capabilities (and not just syntactical sugar) of
VDHL that verlog lacks.

And as mentioned earlier, if you already know one, it is always better
than the one you don't know, unless you have a massive project ahead
and time to climb the learning curve.

Andy

Mike Treseler

Jan 11, 2010, 10:45:33 PM1/11/10
Petter Gustad wrote:

> Why is single process with no signals more advanced when it comes to
> synthesis?

That is certainly a matter of opinion.
Structural vs procedural.
I prefer using variables, functions, and procedures
in a single box instead of modules upon modules.

-- Mike Treseler

Andy

Jan 12, 2010, 1:40:57 PM1/12/10

I also prefer the immediate update semantics of variables as opposed
to the postponed updates of signals in processes. "I stored this in
the sig up here, but it still has the old value down here later...".

Using variables often makes it easier to insert/remove clock cycles in
your behavioral description. Two references to the same variable can
be registered or combinatorial values independently. The synthesis
tool will do what it takes to create HW that mimics the clock cycle
behavior of your code, which now reads like SW code, without the
postponed values issues. It also makes more sense when using the
source level debugger.

These may or may not be "advantages" to other users.

Andy

David Bishop

Jan 13, 2010, 10:40:42 PM1/13/10
Maurice wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I know very well VHDL, and nothing about Verilog. which is better and why?

I like VHDL mainly because I can do more with it than I can Verilog.
The argument boils down to this:

Verilog was written by a bunch of hardware guys who knew nothing about
software. We beat on it 'till you could do software with it.

VHDL was written by a bunch of software guys who knew nothing about
hardware. We beat on it 'till you could do hardware with it.

Petter Gustad

Jan 17, 2010, 3:00:02 PM1/17/10
Mike Treseler <mtre...@gmail.com> writes:

> Petter Gustad wrote:
>
>> Why is single process with no signals more advanced when it comes to
>> synthesis?
>
> That is certainly a matter of opinion.

I see, so it's more a matter of taste.

Petter Gustad

Jan 17, 2010, 3:02:15 PM1/17/10
Andy <jone...@comcast.net> writes:

> I also prefer the immediate update semantics of variables as opposed
> to the postponed updates of signals in processes. "I stored this in
> the sig up here, but it still has the old value down here later...".

Yuck. Synthesizable Ada comes to my mind. I guess I'm a little old
fashioned in this regard.

Petter Gustad

Jan 17, 2010, 3:07:47 PM1/17/10
David Bishop <dbi...@vhdl.org> writes:

> Verilog was written by a bunch of hardware guys who knew nothing about
> software. We beat on it 'till you could do software with it.

Still I prefer SystemVerilog over VHDL for writing testbenches
using classes, constrained random generation, covergroups, queues,
assertions, and other software constructs.

> VHDL was written by a bunch of software guys who knew nothing about
> hardware. We beat on it 'till you could do hardware with it.

Still I prefer VHDL over Verilog for writing DUT's.

Mike Treseler

Jan 17, 2010, 4:30:50 PM1/17/10
Petter Gustad wrote:

>>> Why is single process with no signals more advanced when it comes to
>>> synthesis?
>> That is certainly a matter of opinion.
>
> I see, so it's more a matter of taste.

Yes. Bud Lite vs IPA ;)