tcllib::nmea open port for read and write

Svenn Are Bjerkem

Jul 12, 2017, 2:43:45 PM7/12/17
I use the tcllib nmea package to get aquainted to new gps modules. I notice that the procedure nmea::open_port will open the serial port in read mode only, and hence the nmea::write will fail. For my work in tkcon, I usually copy-paste the code for that particulare procedure and change the open to r+ to be able to read and write to the gps on the serial line.

I wanted to report this as a bug on the tcllib bugtracker, and noticed that there was another reported issue from 2011 regarding the nmea::close_port which hasn't been fixed although it was accepted as a bug.

I wonder how easy/difficult it is to get the read/write enhancement implemented when a more serious flaw has not been fixed in 6 years.

--
Svenn

Gerald Lester

Jul 12, 2017, 4:34:28 PM7/12/17
Svenn,

If you are volunteering to do maintenance to the package, then it will
be easy to get you access.

The original developer/maintainer may have moved on in their
career/life, and not being a widely used package it does nto get a lot
of attention, so some from you would be appreciated!

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

Svenn Are Bjerkem

Jul 12, 2017, 5:00:23 PM7/12/17
Gerald,
as I use this package every now and then, it would make sense for me to volunteer to keep an eye on it. I am not a particularly good Tcl programmer, but I guess there are enough good ones here to help me out should I need help.

--
Svenn