"expect -D 1" memory faults when trying to continue beyond breakpoint with "c"

vanden...@googlemail.com

Jul 12, 2015, 9:05:06 AM7/12/15
I want to use `expect' as an interactive debugger for a very modest tcl script. I use

Expect 5.45.3
tcl 8.6.3

under macosx 10.10.3

running the script either via `/usr/bin/env expect -D 1' or by adding somewhere a `debug 1' to the script and loading the Expect package from within `tclsh' and sourcing the script from within tclsh initially does the expected (...), i.e. I get the `dbg' prompt of `Expect'. simple things (looking at variables, single-stepping, etc. work). but as soon as I issue `c' there is a short, notable delay (somewhat larger than usual runtime of the script I'd say) followed by a memory fault.

the script does nothing fancy. it uses

namespace path {::tcl::mathop}
package require cmdline

otherwise it's "vanilla tcl" (making some use of `clock')

I'm posting this in the hope that someone from core is reading it. if i can provide any further information I would be glad to do so.

best,
joerg

Alexandre Ferrieux

Jul 12, 2015, 10:13:30 AM7/12/15
Does the script behave properly when *not* using Expect ?
In any case, please post a bug report and attach evidence there.

-Alex

vanden...@googlemail.com

Jul 12, 2015, 12:57:34 PM7/12/15
yes, definitely. the script just runs fine. regarding bug report etc.: will do

vanden...@googlemail.com

Jul 12, 2015, 1:29:27 PM7/12/15
On Sunday, 12 July 2015 16:13:30 UTC+2, Alexandre Ferrieux wrote:
so I've just isued the bug report. regarding "attach evidence" I've attached a tar file containing the script in question (plus some required small data files read by the script). I hope the problem is reproducible when using this example.