Has anybody been able to get Tcl/Tk working on iOS? Similar to the Androwish approach for Android?

ardillas...@gmail.com

May 20, 2018, 6:47:05 AM5/20/18
Hi!

Just "discovered" Tcl/Tk today (I'm enclosing "discovered" in double quotes because it's been in my hard disks since 1996 or so, but never thought it was for me... however, reading the website and the wiki today, I exclaimed: hey! this is what I'm looking for now!).

However, being myself an advocate of multi-platform development, for me "multi-platform" means MacOS, Windows, Linux, Android... and... yes, iOS.

Reading the Wiki, I see there's already a Cocoa native implementation for Tk... so... why I don't see any plans for porting it to iOS? Are there any license/legals reasons perhaps?

Of course using Cocoa would be the best approach, as you'd get native iOS controls, but, as a workaround, I believe a non-Cocoa port could be very useful too: In fact, many iOS apps don't use native controls, but their own rendered widgets (specially games tend to do this, but not only games, other apps also use custom rendered widgets).

So, shouldn't the Androwish approach be easy to port to iOS, just through SDL for example?

(Note that SDL is fully supported on iOS)

To sum it up, I need iOS, preferably with Cocoa, but a non-Cocoa approach with custom rendering through SDL would be fine for me too.

Considering the power and flexibility of Tcl/Tk, that I'm "discovering" today, I'm quite surprised to not find iOS as a officially supported OS (In fact I'm also surprised that Androwish is not at the official downloads page either).

Thanks a lot for all the work done these years in Tcl/Tk!