ActiveTcl 8.6.6 (Linux) Released

je...@activestate.com

Feb 2, 2017, 5:24:32 PM2/2/17
ActiveState is pleased to announce the release of ActiveTcl 8.6.6 on
64 bit Linux. This is a ready-to-install Tcl distribution based on the
Tcl/Tk 8.6 core. MacOS and Windows versions to follow.

For detailed information or to download these releases, see:
http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/

== New in ActiveTcl 8.6.6 ==

This release with updates, including:

* Latest Tcl/Tk 8.6.6 changes
* sqlite3 and the tdbc connectors for mysql, odbc, postgres and sqlite3
* 21 additional packages and extra tclib extensions
* teacup and tclvfse are not included in this release, and TDK is no longer supported

Download ActiveTcl 8.6.6 now:
http://www.activestate.com/activetcl

=== Getting Started ===

Whether you're a first-time user or a long-time fan, our free resources
will help you get the most from ActiveTcl.

Release Blog:
http://www.activestate.com/blog/2017/02/activetcl-866-released

User forums and FAQs:
http://community.activestate.com/activetcl

Mailing list archives:
http://code.activestate.com/lists/#Tcl

Documentation:
http://docs.activestate.com/activetcl/8.6/

=== On what platforms does ActiveTcl run? ===

ActiveTcl includes installers for the following platforms:

- Linux (x86_64)
- Windows (x86 or x64) *coming soon*
- Mac OS X (x86_64) *coming soon*
- Solaris (sparc or x86) (Business or Enterprise Edition)
- AIX/PowerPC (Business or Enterprise Edition)

Custom builds are available in Enterprise Edition:

http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/enterprise/

=== Feedback ===

Everyone is encouraged to participate in making Tcl an even better
language. For bugs related to ActiveTcl, please use:

http://bugs.ActiveState.com/enter_bug.cgi?product=ActiveTcl&version=8.6.6

Tcl/Tk is maintained by the Tcl community, with the sources and bug
database at:
http://core.tcl.tk/tcl/

Enjoy!

- ActiveState Software Inc.

Georgios Petasis

Feb 3, 2017, 4:10:23 AM2/3/17
Is ActiveState abandoning TDK?

George

stefan

Feb 3, 2017, 4:23:47 AM2/3/17
> MacOS and Windows versions to follow.

When exactly? Thx.

Stefan

Tom

Feb 3, 2017, 9:37:03 AM2/3/17
That is a bad message, we bought some licenses for our company and used it very often while implementing our automation framework and all test libs and test cases for CI. But TDK was already removed from the Activestate TCL solutions site :-(

Tom

je...@activestate.com

Feb 3, 2017, 5:06:32 PM2/3/17
Hi Stefan, Will ship this quarter. Internally we have a windows RC, and the MacOS is close.

Kevin Walzer

Feb 3, 2017, 9:11:14 PM2/3/17
On 2/3/17 4:10 AM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
> Is ActiveState abandoning TDK?
>
> George

Sure seems that way, doesn't it? The new strategy seems to be all these
new languages (Go, Ruby, etc.), the older languages, and Komodo.

-Kevin

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin/Mobile Code by Kevin

Zoltan Kocsi

Feb 4, 2017, 7:02:07 PM2/4/17
> Sure seems that way, doesn't it? The new strategy seems to be all
> these new languages (Go, Ruby, etc.), the older languages, and Komodo.

But Komodo is an IDE, isn't it? So what would be the substitute for all
the command line tools of TDK? I have my editor which I'm quite happy
with, thank you, and I prefer 'make' to any drag-and-drool project
manager.

--
Zoltán Kócsi
Bendor Research Pty. Ltd.

Georgios Petasis

Feb 6, 2017, 9:00:23 AM2/6/17
On 4/2/2017 04:11, Kevin Walzer wrote:
> On 2/3/17 4:10 AM, Georgios Petasis wrote:
>> Is ActiveState abandoning TDK?
>>
>> George
>
> Sure seems that way, doesn't it? The new strategy seems to be all these
> new languages (Go, Ruby, etc.), the older languages, and Komodo.
>
> -Kevin

I am a user of TDK, but my primary use was to pack everything as a
single executable. I know that there are free solutions for that, but I
will have to switch...

Code obfuscation was rarely a case...

George

je...@activestate.com

Feb 7, 2017, 7:00:27 PM2/7/17
The 64-bit Windows version is now available. Feedback is greatly appreciated. http://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads.

Andreas Leitgeb

Feb 8, 2017, 9:37:11 AM2/8/17
je...@activestate.com <je...@activestate.com> wrote:
> Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Appreciated but ignored?

That's at least what it looks like for by-readers of this thread here
with respect to the questions about dropped(?) TDK and teacup...

PS: This post here should be considered as feedback for the PR.
I'm not a user of ActiveTcl, so I might have missed answers on
other communication channels (e.g. docs, or their web-site).

Eugene

Feb 16, 2017, 6:06:26 PM2/16/17
I'll join in the chorus of the frustrated - are TDK and teacup no longer
on the list of supported ActiveTcl infrastructure items? Is there going
to be any replacement? Is there any alternative to teacup repo now?

BTW, Windows installer for Tcl 8.6.6 is now available on ActiveState
site, but only for x64, is there going to be an x86 build?

--
Best regards, Eugene.

je...@activestate.com

Feb 16, 2017, 7:56:00 PM2/16/17
My apologies for the delay on responses. TDK is no longer supported. However, there is plenty of information in our forums http://community.activestate.com/forums/tcl-dev-kit, and if you ask there is a chance that you can get an answer from one of the community members. We are examining whether it makes sense to open source this, but regardless our number one priority is to get all of the Tcl 8.6.6 builds out and then the 8.5.19 builds as well. Along the way we are retiring an enormous amount of technical debt in order to streamline this process for the future.

Teacup/teapot - we are examining the best way forwards here. We continuing to keep it running in its current state and looking at the potential to open source it as well. As a partial solution we are increasing the number of modules we ship in the distributions.

Next release on our plates is Tcl 8.6.6 on MacOS. 32 bit windows will be after that.

Andreas Kupries

Feb 17, 2017, 2:08:05 AM2/17/17
je...@activestate.com writes:

> My apologies for the delay on responses. TDK is no longer
> supported.

I am sorry to hear that. Will at least Komodo still support Tcl syntax
checking and debugging ?

> However, there is plenty of information in our forums
> http://community.activestate.com/forums/tcl-dev-kit, and if you ask
> there is a chance that you can get an answer from one of the
> community members. We are examining whether it makes sense to open
> source this,

IMHO open sourcing is the way to go. Especially the changes we made to
the tclcompile/tbcload sources to have them support 8.6+, and fix
various bugs.

> but regardless our number one priority is to get all of the Tcl
> 8.6.6 builds out and then the 8.5.19 builds as well. Along the way
> we are retiring an enormous amount of technical debt in order to
> streamline this process for the future.

> Teacup/teapot - we are examining the best way forwards here. We
> continuing to keep it running in its current state and looking at
> the potential to open source it as well.

I am in favor of that as well

> As a partial solution we are increasing the number of modules we
> ship in the distributions.

> Next release on our plates is Tcl 8.6.6 on MacOS. 32 bit windows will be after that.

> On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 3:06:26 PM UTC-8, Eugene wrote:
>> >
>> > Appreciated but ignored?
>> >
>> > That's at least what it looks like for by-readers of this thread here
>> > with respect to the questions about dropped(?) TDK and teacup...

--
So long,
Andreas Kupries <akup...@shaw.ca>

Harald Oehlmann

Feb 17, 2017, 3:08:51 AM2/17/17
Am 17.02.2017 um 01:55 schrieb je...@activestate.com:
> My apologies for the delay on responses. TDK is no longer supported.

Thank you, Jeff, for the information.

I have canceld my payed subscription.

Thank you,
Harald

Harald Oehlmann

Feb 17, 2017, 3:16:38 AM2/17/17
Am 17.02.2017 um 07:55 schrieb Andreas Kupries:
> je...@activestate.com writes:
>
>> My apologies for the delay on responses. TDK is no longer
>> supported.
>
> I am sorry to hear that. Will at least Komodo still support Tcl syntax
> checking and debugging ?

Hi Andreas,
apparently, the communication "over the street" is not very intense.

I would love to continuously use tbcload.

To your information: Kommodo still supports TCL. "Your" syntax checker
is not maintained since two years. A simple bug(feature?) (somewhere
introduced two years ago), that an array is always notified as undefined
variable, is not fixed up to now. Probably 5 minuites work for you...

Nevertheless I am still using Kommodo but cancelded now my subscription,
as each version is getting worse.
For TCL users, the version at times where you left is still the best.

Thank you,
Harald

je...@activestate.com

Feb 17, 2017, 3:38:50 PM2/17/17
Hi Andreas!

Komodo continues to have all of its great Tcl support added to it over the years plus it is getting an upgrade to handle syntax changes in 8.6! This will be out by the end of February.

-JR

je...@activestate.com

Mar 1, 2017, 4:48:04 PM3/1/17
As a followup, Komodo 10.2 is out including the new Tcl 8.6 syntax support.

Harald Oehlmann

Mar 7, 2017, 10:06:27 AM3/7/17
Am 01.03.2017 um 22:47 schrieb je...@activestate.com:
> As a followup, Komodo 10.2 is out including the new Tcl 8.6 syntax support.

Jeff,
thank you for this information.
The most annoying bugs in the syntax checker are not fixed in 10.2
neither...

set a(1) 2
proc a {} {
variable a
puts $a(1)
}

Will show:
use of undefined variable "a(1)" in line 4

Any source file with a non-ASCII character will cause a failure of the
syntax checker.

Thank you,
Harald

je...@activestate.com

Apr 16, 2017, 2:07:44 AM4/16/17
Our 64 bit version MacOS version of 8.6.6 is now available: https://www.activestate.com/activetcl/downloads

This version is for MacOS 10.9 and above.