multiple windows 10 tclkits - how to make look different in setting defaults

two...@gmail.com

Dec 25, 2017, 8:40:23 PM12/25/17
I use several tclkit files from several versions of tcl/tk.

I setup multiple default programs in windows 10 using several file extensions for my scripts, as so:

script.tcl82
script.tcl868

associated to my custom built tclkits:

mytclkit82.exe
mytclkit868.exe

Windows uses something in the tclkit file to display the program to use with a particular extension - but does not list the actual file name. In all my several tclkit files that I've associated to a file extension, the name is the same:

Tclkit, a standalone runtine for Tcl/Tk

Is there a way to change this text string so I can tell which one I'm associating my scripts to? Is there something in the sdx.kit that can set this?

Currently I have to use trial and error to associate new file extensions since I can't tell the difference in the windows control panel "program defaults".

Mike Griffiths

Dec 26, 2017, 3:36:06 PM12/26/17
I think there is something in sdx for it, but I don't know the syntax I'm afraid. I use ResourceHacker for doing that kind of thing.

two...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2017, 8:45:12 PM12/26/17
On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 12:36:06 PM UTC-8, Mike Griffiths wrote:

> I think there is something in sdx for it, but I don't know the syntax I'm afraid. I use ResourceHacker for doing that kind of thing.

Thanks, I think maybe ResourceHacker is what I should use. I guessed at how to work it, and I can change the description in a tclkit.exe and then do a "compile" and saveas. Maybe the way to go is to change the tclkit I reference in the -runtime option, as I'd only need to do that once. I'll try that.

For what it's worth....

For options in sdx.kit, I cannot get the help command to work:

If I enter

tclkit sdx.kit help wrap

There's then a brief console window that flashes too quickly to read and then it closes.

I also did find in the wiki that there's a file, tclkit.inf in the top directory that probably is what I want, but I can't find any more information on it, just the one example.

two...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2017, 9:19:39 PM12/26/17
ResourceHacker does the job. It now shows up with the new text string I put in the tclkit file.

thanks

Mike Griffiths

Dec 27, 2017, 4:39:23 PM12/27/17
Are you running the tclkit from the Start->Run? If so, you'd need to run "cmd" to open a prompt instead, and then run it from in there. Otherwise, as you say, it exits immediately and the command window disappears.

Glad ResHacker did the job, though. :)