Magicsplat 1.8.1 : Installation differences on WIN 7 vs WIN 10 ?

jm....@orens.fr

Oct 12, 2018, 7:40:55 AM10/12/18
Tcl/Tk 8.6.8

I have a Tcl/Tk app working on WIN 7. It works on Magicsplat 1.8.1
However, prior to Magicsplat, there was an ActiveState old tcl install on this machine (now removed).
The launch script has ".tcl" extension : when double-clicking on it with the file explorer, it starts as expected.
However, after installing Magicsplat + app on a new WIN 10 machine, double-clicking on the same tcl script doesn't work as expected :
inside this script, "pwd" command returns "C:/Windows/System32" instead of the path of the clicked script.

I checked file extension association in Windows : I can't find a way to associate ".tcl" to the interpreter executable -> tcl extension is not listed on windows screen listing file extensions.

Does anybody have an idea ?

Thanks

-jm

Ashok

Oct 12, 2018, 10:06:09 AM10/12/18
Unlike ActiveState, the magicsplat distribution does not associate .tcl
files with tclsh/wish. This is an explicit design choice for two
reasons. First, a .tcl file is more often than not a library or other
"helper" script, not the main application so associating all .tcl files
as applications did not seem right. Second, it is not clear whether .tcl
should be associated with tclsh or wish.

For these reasons, instead of associating .tcl, magicsplat associates
.tclapp and .tkapp respectively with tclsh and wish. Renaming your file
appropriately should work. If not make sure you selected the file
association checkbox during the install. You can also do so by running
the modify install option from the Windows control panel applet.

See the Shortcurs, paths and file associations section in
http://www.magicsplat.com/tcl-installer/index.html

On your Windows system, the Activestate uninstallation probably did not
remove the .tcl file association which is why it still works.

/Ashok

jm....@orens.fr

Oct 12, 2018, 4:04:54 PM10/12/18
Thank you Ashok,

I changed the extension per your explaination and now all works as expected.

(However, I didn't manage to reconfigure MagicSplat Install in Windows's control panel to recover old behaviour (and habits) from ActiveTcl'time, but it's not a problem)

Regards,
-jm