conflicting versions provided for package "img::tiff": 3.9.7, then 1.4.4 while evaluating {package require Img}

J. van den hoff

Nov 16, 2017, 10:08:29 AM11/16/17
problem:

'package require Img'

(or 'package require img::tiff', for that matter)

throws the error as stated in the subject line of this message. afterwards img::tiff is loaded and works just fine (in a script I need to catch the error/warning, though, to make it proceed).

I see that the img::tiff indeed is at version 1.4.4. in my setup. furthermore, version 3.9.7 is reported for package 'tifftcl' which seems part of 'Img' and apparently is the source of the "version conflict" mesasage.

questions:

* what exactly is going on?

* how are the different libs/packages interacting (depending on each other) here?

* what is creating the (apparently spurious/innocuous) version conflict and what is the canonical way to avoid/solve it?

thank you

joerg

keithv

Nov 16, 2017, 7:17:19 PM11/16/17
On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 7:08:29 AM UTC-8, J. van den hoff wrote:
> problem:
>
> 'package require Img'
>
> throws the error as stated in the subject line of this message. afterwards img::tiff is loaded and works just fine (in a script I need to catch the error/warning, though, to make it proceed).

I've seen that for a while now. I ended up editing the file Img-1.4.3.tm in the distribution, commenting out all references to img::tiff.

J. van den hoff

Nov 17, 2017, 4:37:08 AM11/17/17
thank you for confirming the issue (so I'm not the only one...) and also for the workaround which indeed silences the error/warning...

A real fix (or explanation what is the problem in my setup or what else...) from someone in the know would still be welcome of course. here are some further details, if relevant:

* happens here with tcl 8.6.6 and 8.7.a2

* 'Img' is installed via "teapot"

* I'm on a Mac, OS 10.12.6

J. van den hoff

Nov 17, 2017, 4:58:47 AM11/17/17
On Friday, 17 November 2017 01:17:19 UTC+1, keithv wrote:
on second thought/try: it is correct that commenting out img::tiff silences the warning when issuing "package require Img" (and eliminates tiff support...). but (of course ...) "package require img::tiff" still triggers the problem. so this is not really helping here (I *do* need the tiff support) :-(

keithv

Nov 17, 2017, 2:37:48 PM11/17/17
I never needed tiff support so I just hacked it out. I suspect the problem has something to do with the interaction between packages img_tiff1.4.1 and tifftcl3.9.7.

How about this hack: in img_tiff1.4.4/pkgIndex.tcl change the version number for the package ifneeded and package provide from '1.4.4' to '3.9.7'. Seemed to work for me.

J. van den hoff

Nov 18, 2017, 1:08:39 PM11/18/17
thanks for your tip. yes, that should definitely silence the complaints. but you are right, it's a hack ;-). for now I will work around the problem via 'catch {package require img::tiff}' in my scripts and hope that some time the real problem (whatever it is) will be fixed upstream....