Searching a file manager written in Tcl/Tk

EL

Jan 12, 2018, 6:03:36 AM1/12/18
Hello,

I have the need for a small file manager, which I can use over a remote X session. I.e. I am logged in via "ssh -X" and want to browse the server. Kind of convenience over the shell, but not as fancy and bloated as the usual linux file managers nautilus, thunar etc...

Given that this is a relatively easy finger exercise for Tk programmers, I had suspected that there are a whole many file managers out there written in Tcl/Tk. Yet I have not found a single one that is usable :(. I found http://wiki.tcl.tk/15091 with lots of dead links. I found http://tkdesk.sourceforge.net/, which relies on blt and is not compilable with recent Tcl/Tk. I could dig into the issues with Tkdesk or develop my own file manager, but I don't have the time.

Do you know of any reasonable good and recent file manager in Tcl/Tk? 8.6 and Tile support would be great of course, but I could live without that as long as it works and doesn't look too ugly...

Thanks,
EL

Ali M

Jan 12, 2018, 9:53:22 AM1/12/18
Always check the wiki first

https://wiki.tcl.tk/15091

Gerald Lester

Jan 12, 2018, 11:01:13 AM1/12/18
What exactly do you want it to do?

BTW, "Tile" has been called "TTK" (Themed Tk widgets) since it became
core and stopped being an extension.

| Gerald W. Lester, President, KNG Consulting LLC |
| Email: Gerald...@kng-consulting.net |

EL

Jan 12, 2018, 11:10:27 AM1/12/18
Am Freitag, 12. Januar 2018 15:53:22 UTC+1 schrieb Ali M:

> Always check the wiki first
>
> https://wiki.tcl.tk/15091

I've found that page, as I wrote.

EL

Jan 12, 2018, 11:17:05 AM1/12/18
Am Freitag, 12. Januar 2018 17:01:13 UTC+1 schrieb Gerald Lester:
> What exactly do you want it to do?

Browsing files and directories, moving files per drag & drop or the like, opening files in specific applications... many of the things I can do with ordinary file explorers locally.
Its just that I want to do that on a remote server, hence the explorer should not require loads of dependencies (I don't want to bloat the server) and it should be slim enough to be rendered fast over a decent network connection with X forwarding.

> BTW, "Tile" has been called "TTK" (Themed Tk widgets) since it became
> core and stopped being an extension.

Okay :).

ian Gay

Jan 12, 2018, 6:10:38 PM1/12/18
Do you insist on tcl/tk? Why not just use mc in a text window?
--
*********** To reply by e-mail, make w single in address **************

Richard Owlett

Jan 13, 2018, 4:43:25 AM1/13/18
On 01/12/2018 08:53 AM, Ali M wrote:
> On Friday, January 12, 2018 at 6:03:36 AM UTC-5, EL wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have the need for a small file manager, [*SNIP*]
>>
>> Given that this is a relatively easy finger exercise for Tk programmers, I had suspected that there are a whole many file managers out there written in Tcl/Tk. Yet I have not found a single one that is usable :(. I found http://wiki.tcl.tk/15091 [snip with chuckle ;]
> Always check the wiki first
>
> https://wiki.tcl.tk/15091

I've some data which intrinsically has a hierarchical structure.
I will investigate.
I've a perverse sense of humor. I would not have looked at that link
<which OP had already mentioned> unless you had mentioned it ;/

EL

Jan 13, 2018, 7:22:05 AM1/13/18
Am 13.01.18 um 00:10 schrieb ian Gay:

> Do you insist on tcl/tk? Why not just use mc in a text window?

Because in many occassions I find it quite handy to use the mouse ;).
Instead of using mc I could simply stick to the shell as well.

As for insisting on Tcl/Tk: not quite. But in my experience such tools
written in Tcl/Tk are the most useful, slim, handy and reliable out
there. Speaking of visual-regexp, tkcvs, tkdiff, git-gui, gitk ... so I
considered it most likely to find a filebrowser in the same fashion.

Anyway, I now had a closer look at eu-commander: https://wiki.tcl.tk/14561

This link was one of the few if not the only one on the file browser
collection https://wiki.tcl.tk/15091 which is not dead. The program was
even maintained until 2016. And it comes close to what I am looking for.

--
EL

jsunth...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2018, 8:11:33 AM1/13/18
Okay, this is a great question, and I have a response. I am using a little linux distro called Slax, which comes with a slightly broken PCManFM. One of the things I'm used to in a graphical file browser is to right-click and open a terminal at the present location. There is no option to do this in the pop up menu of PCManFM, which is a great and lightweight, and does offer to do this in it's main menu under "tools."

What am I to do? Hack out some C code and recompile? Maybe learn the application specific extension system of PCManFM, if it exists? If he was TKManFM, you and I both know this would be easy to implement in the simplest text editor, in probably one, possible three lines of code.

That is why we should have simple Tk-based common desktop tools available to us, and why the desire for a Tk based file manager makes all the sense in the world.