http blank ncode

Brad Lanam

Jul 8, 2018, 11:19:14 AM7/8/18
Well, an annoying bug.
http would occasionally return a empty ncode.
I believe all the meta data was empty.

Intermittent. Only happens on Windows.

I already have retry code in my http utility (to handle 401),
so I just run a retry when I get an empty ncode.

This is running against my own Tcl web server, so
could easily be on my end, but not sure why it
is intermittent and rare.

Harald Oehlmann

Jul 26, 2018, 8:24:50 AM7/26/18
Brad,

maybe you hit a bug fixed in 8.6.8 ?

https://core.tcl.tk/tcl/info/46b6edad51e645c7

Just a guess,
Harald

Brad Lanam

Jul 26, 2018, 8:36:06 AM7/26/18
I am running 8.6.8.

No, this bug wasn't related.
I have not had time to try and track it down.
I am working around it by just forcing a retry (which I already had code for
in my http utilities).

I gave up trying to make http handle concurrent requests.
I just push them on a stack and wait.
(Also, I am using digest authentication, so I have to wait between
requests, otherwise the counters get mangled -- maybe I have
implementation issues there).
But I've got my own tcl web server, so that could be a bug on my end, either
on the server side or the client side. And yes, I have keepalive enabled.

Harald Oehlmann

Jul 26, 2018, 8:41:07 AM7/26/18
Ok, good luck,
Harald