Tcl matched with Tk

Robert

May 31, 2016, 12:33:27 PM5/31/16
Can a newer Tcl use an older Tk or is it an "all or nothing" Tcl/Tk matched version scenario.

Bob

Don Porter

May 31, 2016, 1:09:29 PM5/31/16
On 05/31/2016 12:33 PM, Robert wrote:
> Can a newer Tcl use an older Tk or is it an "all or nothing" Tcl/Tk
> matched version scenario.

Depends on the particular versions you're interested in. Try it an
see. Here's one success:

$ tclsh
% info patch
8.6.5
% package require Tk 8.5.19-8.5.19
8.5.19

--
| Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
| donald...@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory |

Robert

May 31, 2016, 2:47:35 PM5/31/16
Oh, that is interesting. I will do that.

Thanks Don!

Bob

Gerald W. Lester

May 31, 2016, 3:06:33 PM5/31/16
On 5/31/16 1:47 PM, Robert wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 1:09:29 PM UTC-4, Don Porter wrote:
>> On 05/31/2016 12:33 PM, Robert wrote:
>>> Can a newer Tcl use an older Tk or is it an "all or nothing" Tcl/Tk
>>> matched version scenario.
>>
>> Depends on the particular versions you're interested in. Try it an
>> see. Here's one success:
>>
>> $ tclsh
>> % info patch
>> 8.6.5
>> % package require Tk 8.5.19-8.5.19
>> 8.5.19
>>
> Oh, that is interesting. I will do that.

But why in the world would you want to?

| Gerald W. Lester |
|"The man who fights for his ideals is the man who is alive." - Cervantes|

Robert

May 31, 2016, 5:38:26 PM5/31/16
I was curious if it was possible. The servers I am on at work are AIX and they are running 8.4 for both. Tcl has no dependencies but Tk does so it got me wondering if it was possible is all. Since I could possibly ask for Tcl to be upgraded. I will probably just ask for both and go with the answer.

Bob

Rich

May 31, 2016, 5:38:36 PM5/31/16
Gerald W. Lester <Gerald...@kng-consulting.net> wrote:
> On 5/31/16 1:47 PM, Robert wrote:
> >>
> >> Depends on the particular versions you're interested in. Try it
> >> an see. Here's one success:
> >>
> >> $ tclsh
> >> % info patch
> >> 8.6.5
> >> % package require Tk 8.5.19-8.5.19
> >> 8.5.19
> >>
> > Oh, that is interesting. I will do that.

> But why in the world would you want to?

I am curious about this one as well. Since the source code for each
revision is freely available to download, why try running mis-matched
versions? That just sounds like setting oneself up for weird troubles
of one's own doing.