registry command on windows 10 not working correctly

two...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2017, 2:05:10 AM11/9/17
I have a program that creates some MS windows registry entries. This program works on XP, and windows 7, but is acting strange on windows 10.

I'm running with 8.6

I do the following:

% registry set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\ET vlc_file test3

and it does create an entry, but in a funny place,

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\VirtualStore\MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ET

later, the following

% registry get HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\ET vlc_file
unable to open key: The system cannot find the file specified.

I then tried a different key, thinking maybe ET was the problem, and lo and behold it worked with a different name,

% registry set HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\ETTEST vlc_file test4
% registry get HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\ETTEST vlc_file
test4

Any ideas why my ET key would be special, and what's with the strange key location?

Ashok

Nov 9, 2017, 4:55:10 AM11/9/17
Is it possible that the ET key existed in the registry and was a
symbolic link ?

As as aside, which may or may not be relevant, it appears to me that you
are using a 32-bit Tcl on a 64-bit Windows system. I tend to avoid that
because of the shenanigans that Windows likes to play with
virtualization of 32-bit apps (likely where the Wow6432Node come from).
See the -32bit and -64bit switches to the registry command.

/Ashok

two...@gmail.com

Nov 9, 2017, 2:37:06 PM11/9/17
I changed the name from ET to ETMINE and the program now works again.

I get the same error on my 64bit win10 laptop as well, so I don't think it's specific to anything on my main system. I can't tell if that ET key was there before I created a value, I don't have a virgin win 10 system.

I have a tclkit that I build on a windows xp system so, I'll need to stay with a 32 bit version. Except for this strangeness, it works quite well for me. I build it with many extensions (especially twapi, still the best) and just copy the single mytclkit.exe to all my windows systems.

I'm guessing that the strange location is similar to the way 32 bit executables get placed in that (x86) directory.