Tcl msgpack implementation

Eckhard Lehmann

Mar 17, 2017, 7:44:07 AM3/17/17

I just stumbled over msgpack, a cross language binary de-/serialization
format. Exactly what I possibly need.

http://msgpack.org/

Tcl is not listed on this page, which is a pity. It should be there!
Anyway, there are a few implementations as I've found out:

https://github.com/yuhangwang/MessagePack-Tcl
https://github.com/jdc8/msgpack

The second one looks quite promising. Has somebody here any experience
with either of them, or maybe with another library?
And, is there some "standard" planned? I mean, something particular
useful like that would definitely deserve a place in the tcllib, imo...

--
EL

Arjen Markus

Mar 22, 2017, 9:52:40 AM3/22/17
I have no experience with it, but the second implementation is by Jos DeCoster and I am confident he knows what is all about :). If Jos agrees, we can simply put it in Tcllib.

Regards,

Arjen

jdc

Mar 22, 2017, 5:00:09 PM3/22/17

The intention was to make it suitable for tcllib, never got so far as to actually include it.

Kind regards,

Jos.

EL

Mar 22, 2017, 6:02:06 PM3/22/17
Am 22.03.2017 um 22:00 schrieb jdc:
> Hi,
>
> The intention was to make it suitable for tcllib, never got so far as to actually include it.

Thanks for the work! It would be great it it could get so far as into
tcllib :).
It would also be good to have it listed on the msgpack.org website, for
exposition to clueless users (like I was some days ago). There is a link
to list implementations near the bottom right of the webpage..

Actually, the code is somewhat old (last commits Feb 2013), and I didn't
get the critcl variant (https://github.com/jdc8/tclmsgpack.git) compiled
with msgpack 1.4.1.
I am not particularly interested in the critcl version, but is the pure
Tcl version still up to date with evtl. format changes?

--
EL

jdc

Mar 23, 2017, 9:41:55 AM3/23/17
I look at the code yesterday for the first time since 2013. I made a branch

https://github.com/jdc8/msgpack/tree/version-2

and brought it up to date with latest msgpack changes. Mainly RAW was split in STRING and BIN.

I'm still adding tests (no longer relying on the critcl variant) and need to update the docs.

Kind regards,

Jos.

Andreas Kupries

Apr 11, 2017, 3:08:05 AM4/11/17
EL <elehm...@gmail.com> writes:

> Am 22.03.2017 um 22:00 schrieb jdc:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The intention was to make it suitable for tcllib, never got so far as to actually include it.
>
> Thanks for the work! It would be great it it could get so far as into
> tcllib :).

Why is it important to have this in Tcllib ?

I.e. what will adding this to Tcllib give the package what it does not
have as it is ?

Especially if it does get added to the list of implementations at the
official msgpack website.

--
See you,
Andreas Kupries <akup...@shaw.ca>

Tcl'2017, Oct 16-20, Houston, TX, USA. http://www.tcl.tk/community/tcl2017/
EuroTcl 2017, Jul 8-9, Berlin/DE, http://www.eurotcl.tcl3d.org/

EL

Apr 11, 2017, 3:02:08 PM4/11/17
Andreas Kupries schrieb:

>> Thanks for the work! It would be great it it could get so far as into
>> tcllib :).
>
> Why is it important to have this in Tcllib ?
>
> I.e. what will adding this to Tcllib give the package what it does not
> have as it is ?

Popularity. (of both, tcllib and msgpack)

And easy availability of course. Most, if not all Tcl developers have
tcllib installed, and then they have msgpack out of the box.

> Especially if it does get added to the list of implementations at the
> official msgpack website.

This adds another layer of popularity.

Is there any reason to /not/ have it in tcllib?

--
EL

Andreas Kupries

May 6, 2017, 3:08:07 AM5/6/17
Tcllib getting turned into a kitchen sink.

Me having to effectively maintain it.