ANN: aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events

Kevin Walzer

Jul 22, 2015, 10:33:52 PM7/22/15
I have just released aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk
applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events.

This package allows Tcl/Tk applications on Mac OS X to respond to
arbitrary Apple Events, the Mac's system-level application IPC protocol.
The Apple Events mechanism allows Mac applications to script other
applications using the AppleScript language--to query them for data,
execute commands, and similar functions--in a manner similar to COM
scripting on Windows and shell scripting on Unix. The package differs
from an older Apple Events package, TclAE
(http://tclae.sourceforge.net/), which is a thin wrapper over tne entire
Apple Event framework and is more low-level and complex. The aem package
only provides a way for a Tcl application to respond to Apple Event
queries sent to it by other processes, i.e. to make a Tcl application
scriptable via AppleScript.

The aem package defines only a single command, aem::installeventhandler,
which takes three parameters: an event class, an event ID, and a Tcl
command. The event class and event ID are arbitrary four-character codes
that are registered with the operating system via the
installeventhandler command, and the Tcl command is the internal Tcl
command that is executed when the application receives an Apple Event.
Conceptually, the event class can be viewed as the application or
developer's signature, while the event ID corresponds to specific
commands it may execute.

The package can be downloaded from
http://fossil.codebykevin.com/fossil.cgi/tk-components/timeline as part
of the tk-components suite; see instructions there on how to download
the library. It is released under Tcl's BSD-style license.

Thanks,
Kevin
--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin/Mobile Code by Kevin

Christian Gollwitzer

Jul 23, 2015, 6:24:45 AM7/23/15
On 23.07.2015 04:33, Kevin Walzer wrote:
> I have just released aem 1.0, a lightweight mechanism for Tcl/Tk
> applications on Mac OS X to respond to Apple Events.

Very nice work!

Christian