Mojave problems

mikkelstuff

Aug 22, 2019, 12:23:58 PM8/22/19
Others have probably found this but none of my Tcl/Tk code displays correctly running Mac OSX Mojave in that the button labels are unreadable. Not knowing what to do, I have stayed with OSX High Sierra.

Is there a fix for this?

rhobart

Aug 22, 2019, 2:26:29 PM8/22/19
On Thursday, August 22, 2019 at 11:23:58 AM UTC-5, mikkelstuff wrote:
> Others have probably found this but none of my Tcl/Tk code displays correctly running Mac OSX Mojave in that the button labels are unreadable. Not knowing what to do, I have stayed with OSX High Sierra.
>
> Is there a fix for this?

I have not seen this particular problem, however I have a problem since upgrading to Mojave. Regardless if I run from tcl/tk compiled from macports, or a tclkit compiled under Sierra, I receive this warning on terminal when I open the file dialog box and select a file; and before 'Open' or 'Cancel' button is clicked.

objc[5552]: Class FIFinderSyncExtensionHost is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FinderKit.framework/Versions/A/FinderKit (0x7fff907f03d8) and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileProvider.framework/OverrideBundles/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride.bundle/Contents/MacOS/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride (0x1122c5f50). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

I can select and open the file; however the file dialog will stay open until the action (or code finishes)
Note: This did not happen under Sierra, El Capitan, and or Snow Leopard.

example:
#!/usr/bin/env tclsh
package require Tk
# .... menu items ------

proc openImageCreatePBM {} {
set types {
{TIFF .tiff}
{TIF .tif}
{PNG .png}
{GIF .gif}
{JPEG .jpeg}
{JPG .jpg}
}

set filename [tk_getOpenFile -filetypes $types]
if {$filename eq ""} {return} ; #When cancel is pressed
.txt insert end "Opened $filename for covert to mono...\n"

set fileroot [file rootname [file tail $filename]]; #returns file no extension or dir
set filedir [file dir $filename] ; #returns path without trailing /
# Make command line safe for gs or imagemagick
set escaped_outputFile [escapePath "$filedir[file separator]$fileroot.pbm"] ; #escape spaces in path and filename
set escaped_filename [escapePath $filename] ; # escaped path and filename

global dpi

set cmd "convert -density $dpi -threshold 50% $escaped_filename $escaped_outputFile"
.txt insert end "cmd: $cmd\n"
update idletasks

exec {*}$cmd >>& /dev/tty

}

The code still works but the dialog just keeps hanging till done. In the past dialog closed and the process continued.

Christopher Chavez

Aug 23, 2019, 11:40:24 PM8/23/19
On 8/22/2019 11:23 AM, mikkelstuff wrote:
> Others have probably found this but none of my Tcl/Tk code displays correctly running Mac OSX Mojave in that the button labels are unreadable. Not knowing what to do, I have stayed with OSX High Sierra.
>
> Is there a fix for this?

Out of all the Mojave-specific issues I'm aware of, I don't immediately
recognize what issue "Button labels are unreadable" might be. Could you
please be more specific? What appears to make them "unreadable"? (A
screenshot of the issue would be excellent.)  Do you have a sample
script that exhibits the issue, and/or do any demos included in Tk
exhibit the issue? What version/distribution of Tcl/Tk are you running?

Christopher Chavez

Aug 24, 2019, 12:05:24 AM8/24/19
On 8/22/2019 1:26 PM, rhobart wrote:
> I have not seen this particular problem, however I have a problem since upgrading to Mojave. Regardless if I run from tcl/tk compiled from macports, or a tclkit compiled under Sierra, I receive this warning on terminal when I open the file dialog box and select a file; and before 'Open' or 'Cancel' button is clicked.
>
> objc[5552]: Class FIFinderSyncExtensionHost is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FinderKit.framework/Versions/A/FinderKit (0x7fff907f03d8) and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FileProvider.framework/OverrideBundles/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride.bundle/Contents/MacOS/FinderSyncCollaborationFileProviderOverride (0x1122c5f50). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined

This particular warning/hang is known, however there is not much known
on what to do about it, other than ignore it (if it doesn't hang). See
https://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/tktview/182cf051ed

rhobart

Aug 26, 2019, 9:24:53 AM8/26/19
Thank you! I should of searched more before posting. I just upgraded to Mojave from Sierra recently. Hadn't a clue this has been around since High Sierra. Very unhappy that Apple has not fixed this by now. I upgraded my toolchain and have an objective c (xcode) program that does the exact same thing. :((( On large files it also waits for completion, plus the console log has that same warning.