Tcl/Tk 8.6.9 RELEASED

Don Porter

Nov 16, 2018, 3:52:51 PM11/16/18

Tcl/Tk 8.6.9 Release Announcement
November 16, 2018

The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.6.9 releases of the Tcl
dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the ninth patch release
of Tcl/Tk 8.6. More details can be found below. We would like to
express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches.
This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate
problems in the core.

Where to get the new releases:
------------------------------

Tcl/Tk 8.6.9 sources are freely available as open source from the
Tcl Developer Xchange web site at:

http://www.tcl-lang.org/software/tcltk/8.6.html

This web page also contains additional information about the releases,
including new features and notes about installing and compiling the
releases. Sources are always available from the Tcl SourceForge
project's file distribution area:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tcl/files/

This distribution is source code only. We keep links to some third
parties offering pre-built binaries for various systems here:

http://www.tcl-lang.org/software/tcltk/bindist.html

For additional information:
---------------------------

Please visit the Tcl Developer Xchange web site:

http://www.tcl-lang.org/

This site contains a variety of information about Tcl/Tk in general, the
core Tcl and Tk distributions, Tcl development tools, and much more.

Summary of Changes since Tcl/Tk 8.6.8:
--------------------------------------

This is a patch release, so it primarily includes bug fixes and corrections
to erratic behavior. Highlighted changes are noted below. The changes file
at the root of the source tree contains a more complete list. The Timelines
of all changes are online.

http://core.tcl-lang.org/tcl/
http://core.tcl-lang.org/tk/

* Mac OSX 10.14 (Mojave) support: Big thanks to Marc Culler for leading
the porting effort to bring Tk to the latest Mac systems.

* [TIP 505] [lreplace] accepts all out-of-range index values
***POTENTIAL INCOMPATIBILITY***

* [ttk::scale] has new option -state

* Quoting of command line arguments by [exec] on Windows revised. Prior
quoting rules left holes where some values would not pass through, but
could trigger substitutions or program execution. See
https://core.tcl-lang.org/tcl/info/21b0629c81
***POTENTIAL INCOMPATIBILITY***

* Builds no longer use -lieee
***POTENTIAL INCOMPATIBILITY for math programs that embed Tcl***

* An [oo::object] can now acquire or lose a class identity dynamically

* [package require] is now NR-enabled

* Std channel initialization repaired for multi-thread operations.

* Tk now denied access to PRIMARY selection from safe interps

* Fixed 32/64-bit confusion of FS DIR operations reported for AIX

* Added missing "deferred clear code" support to GIF photo images

* Enable [tk inactive] on Mac OSX

* Repair edge cases in [binary encode base64]

* Modern full-screen support on Mac OSX

* Race conditions fixed in [file delete] and [file mkdir]

* Fix crashes or hangs in...
- object deletion, oo-11.5
- [string trim*] engine given invalid UTF
- unset array with search, var-13.[23]
- [format] with overflowing conversion specifier
- using window after master destroyed
- [ttk::checkbutton .x -variable {}]
- [event generate . <KeyPress>]
- menu destroy with checkbutton entry
- widget variables deleted by traces
- [$text replace]
- [wm transient]
- KeyPress event handling

* Fix memory leaks in...
- TclSetEnv and env cache
- encoding used by tkMacOSXProcessFiles

* Bad binary [string match], string-11.55

* Broken compiled [string replace], string-14.19

* Missing trace in compiled [array set], var-20.11

* [yieldto] dying namespace, tailcall-14.1

* Fixes in [text] bindings

* Fix touchpad scroll of listbox on win notebook

* Tk style and appearance
- Regression in Tk_DrawChars()
- Menu flaws when empty menubar clicked
- Improved legacy support for [tk_setPalette]
- Improve ttk high-contrast-mode support
- Vista theme for combobox
- Insertion cursor visibility in ttk::entry
- Cascade menu indicator color
- Borderwidth calculations on menu items

* Tk improvements on macOS...
- Fix [wm resizable]
- Fix scrollbar operations
- KeyRelease events

* Updated bundled packages
- Itcl 4.1.2
- sqlite3 3.25.2
- Thread 2.8.4
- TDBC* 1.1.0
- tcltest 2.5.0
- http 2.9.0, Keep-Alive with pipelined requests
- registry 1.3.3, Prevent crash from NULL keyName
- dde 1.4.1

--
Tcl Core Team and Maintainers
Don Porter, Tcl Core Release Manager

--
| Don Porter Applied and Computational Mathematics Division |
| donald...@nist.gov Information Technology Laboratory |

Don Porter

Nov 17, 2018, 6:14:15 PM11/17/18
On 11/16/18 3:52 PM, Don Porter wrote:
> Tcl/Tk 8.6.9 Release Announcement
> November 16, 2018

Alongside the Tcl/Tk 8.6.9 releases just announced, you will find one
additional file, tk8.6.9.1-src.tar.gz . This is an errata release
fixing a critical error on the Mac OSX 10.14 Mojave platform only.
If you are building Tk for any other platform, there is no need to
upgrade to the errata release. If you do upgrade to it anyway, you will
see no difference, so it will be harmless through wasted effort, as the
details below will explain.

When unpacked, the errata archive differs from the tk8.6.9-src.tar.gz
contents in only three lines of the file
tk8.6.9/macosx/tkMacOSXWindowEvent.c
which is a file compiled only for Mac OSX builds of Tk. The lines are
written to have effect only on Mojave. Every other byte of the source
code distribution is unchanged.

Big thanks to Marc Culler for completing this new port of Tk to the
Mojave platform, and big apologies from me for this botch in the
release.

Happy Tcling with Tk!

daniel....@gmail.com

Dec 10, 2018, 8:10:54 PM12/10/18
On Friday, November 16, 2018 at 2:52:51 PM UTC-6, Don Porter wrote:
> Tcl/Tk 8.6.9 Release Announcement
> November 16, 2018
>
> The Tcl Core Team is pleased to announce the 8.6.9 releases of the Tcl
> dynamic language and the Tk toolkit. This is the ninth patch release
> of Tcl/Tk 8.6. More details can be found below. We would like to
> express our gratitude to all those who submit bug reports and patches.
> This information is invaluable in enabling us to identify and eliminate
> problems in the core.

I am having considerable trouble building Tcl 8.6.9 under Msys2 using the x86_64-w64-mingw GCC toolchain (installed today via the 'pacman' package manager). Much of the trouble is due to some names that don't match what's provided by the toolchain, and (so far) that Thread won't build because configure does not come up with a name for "SHLIB_LD", which causes the shared library build for that package to fail.

After a few hours of trying, I wiped out my MSYS2 installation and started over. The hard-coded (for a mingw build) tool names that are wrong are:
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar (package has "x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-ar.exe")
x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib (package has "x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-ranlib.exe")
x86_64-w64-mingw32-windres (package has "windres.exe")

The lack of the ".exe" extension is not a problem. I created small shell-scripts of the name used by the generated Makefile that passes control to the correct files, but the failure of a definition for the "SHLIB_LD" symbol in the file "tcl8.6.9/win/pkgs/thread2.8.4/Makefile" has left me scratching my head. Without a definition, I get:

rm -f thread2.8.4
o thread2.8.4 threadNs.o threadCmd.o threadSvCmd.o threadSpCmd.o threadPoolCmd.o psGdbm.o psLmdb.o threadSvListCmd.o threadSvKeylistCmd.o tclXkeylist.o threadWin.o "/c/Projects/tcl-build/tcl8.6.9/win/libtclstub86.a" -static-libgcc
/bin/sh: o: command not found
make[1]: *** [Makefile:271: thread2.8.4] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/c/Projects/tcl-build/tcl8.6.9/win/pkgs/thread2.8.4'

I know that this may be user error, but I've found nothing anywhere that has told me much. The README points me to "Msys + MinGW-w64 [http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/]" which is what I have (well, I have Msys2, which is what the MinGW-w64 website points to).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Brad Lanam

Dec 10, 2018, 11:06:08 PM12/10/18
On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 5:10:54 PM UTC-8, daniel....@gmail.com wrote:
> I am having considerable trouble building Tcl 8.6.9 under Msys2 using the x86_64-w64-mingw GCC toolchain (installed today via the 'pacman' package manager). Much of the trouble is due to some names that don't match what's provided by the toolchain, and (so far) that Thread won't build because configure does not come up with a name for "SHLIB_LD", which causes the shared library build for that package to fail.
>
> After a few hours of trying, I wiped out my MSYS2 installation and started over. The hard-coded (for a mingw build) tool names that are wrong are:
> x86_64-w64-mingw32-ar (package has "x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-ar.exe")
> x86_64-w64-mingw32-ranlib (package has "x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc-ranlib.exe")
> x86_64-w64-mingw32-windres (package has "windres.exe")
>
> The lack of the ".exe" extension is not a problem. I created small shell-scripts of the name used by the generated Makefile that passes control to the correct files, but the failure of a definition for the "SHLIB_LD" symbol in the file "tcl8.6.9/win/pkgs/thread2.8.4/Makefile" has left me scratching my head. Without a definition, I get:
>
> rm -f thread2.8.4
> o thread2.8.4 threadNs.o threadCmd.o threadSvCmd.o threadSpCmd.o threadPoolCmd.o psGdbm.o psLmdb.o threadSvListCmd.o threadSvKeylistCmd.o tclXkeylist.o threadWin.o "/c/Projects/tcl-build/tcl8.6.9/win/libtclstub86.a" -static-libgcc
> /bin/sh: o: command not found
> make[1]: *** [Makefile:271: thread2.8.4] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/c/Projects/tcl-build/tcl8.6.9/win/pkgs/thread2.8.4'
>
> I know that this may be user error, but I've found nothing anywhere that has told me much. The README points me to "Msys + MinGW-w64 [http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net/]" which is what I have (well, I have Msys2, which is what the MinGW-w64 website points to).
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions?

This is what I use:

export CFLAGS=-m64
export PKG_CFLAGS=-m64
cd win
make distclean
test -f config.cache && rm -f config.cache
./configure --enable-64bit --with-encoding=utf-8 --prefix=$INSTLOC
make clean
make install