How to install tcllib on OS X Sierra

Jay

Sep 15, 2017, 6:43:40 PM9/15/17
I've downloaded tcllib-1.18, and attempted to run:

tclsh ~/Desktop/tcllib-1.18/installer.tcl

I get a GUI window that appears with choices, but after hitting the Install button it gives me this error:

Can't create directory "/system/library/frameworks/tcllib1.18": not owner

Any ideas on how I can get this to install? Maybe make install or ?

Thanks.

Jay

Jay

Sep 15, 2017, 6:57:49 PM9/15/17
Another question I'd like to ask is, if I were to give someone else some Tcl code which needs tcllib-1.18, and they didn't have 1.18 installed, is there a way to make the code work without them installing 1.18?

Robert

Sep 16, 2017, 10:13:55 AM9/16/17
I would put it in you local PATH and use the TCLLIBPATH.

See: http://wiki.tcl.tk/1787

--
Bob

Brad Lanam

Sep 16, 2017, 11:08:29 AM9/16/17
On Friday, September 15, 2017 at 3:57:49 PM UTC-7, Jay wrote:
> Another question I'd like to ask is, if I were to give someone else some Tcl code which needs tcllib-1.18, and they didn't have 1.18 installed, is there a way to make the code work without them installing 1.18?

That's a no. If you require pieces of tcllib, you need tcllib.

You can add only the pieces of tcllib you are using to your package.

Kevin Walzer

Sep 16, 2017, 9:30:02 PM9/16/17
You can't install stuff in /System, even with superuser privileges, in
recent versions of macOS.

I'd suggest installing Tcl elsewhere on your machine, then running that
build of tclsh to install tcllib, and it should just work.

--
Kevin Walzer
Code by Kevin/Mobile Code by Kevin

Jay

Sep 17, 2017, 1:38:54 AM9/17/17
Thank you all for your replies. I think I finally got it to install. I basically did:

$ cd Downloads/tcllib-1.18
$ ./configure
$ sudo make install

which now gives me: