Having trouble installing/using TKDND package

David Heim

Dec 19, 2017, 8:35:13 AM12/19/17
I have installed tkdnd 2.8 (Windows dll and tcl from SourceForge).
When I add the line:

package require tkdnd

to any Tcl/Tk program

I get the following error:

extra characters after close-brace
while compiling
set _platform2tkdnd [dict create {*}$types]

​The program stops.​

​If I type "package require tkdnd" in an interactive 8.49 wish shell,
I get ​

"extra characters after close-brace​"

If I type it in subsequently, I get
2.8 as a response - correct.

I am running Tcl/Tk 8.4.9 under Windows 7 and Windows 10

Can someone help me with this error?

​Thanks,
Dave​

Christian Gollwitzer

Dec 19, 2017, 8:59:27 AM12/19/17
Am 19.12.17 um 14:35 schrieb David Heim:
> I have installed tkdnd 2.8 (Windows dll and tcl from SourceForge).

> extra characters after close-brace
> while compiling
> set _platform2tkdnd [dict create {*}$types]
>
> I am running Tcl/Tk 8.4.9 under Windows 7 and Windows 10
>
> Can someone help me with this error?

PLease install the latest Tcl 8.6 version. 8.4 is dead, and does not
support the {*} syntax.

Christian

Andreas Leitgeb

Dec 19, 2017, 9:06:56 AM12/19/17
David Heim <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
> extra characters after close-brace
> while compiling
> set _platform2tkdnd [dict create {*}$types]

> I am running Tcl/Tk 8.4.9 under Windows 7 and Windows 10
> Can someone help me with this error?

Use a "slightly" less ancient version of Tcl/Tk.

As of Tcl 8.5 (about 2005) the expand-operator was added.

David Heim

Dec 19, 2017, 11:02:17 AM12/19/17
Thanks for the help. I appreciate it.
Dave

Rich

Dec 19, 2017, 1:03:15 PM12/19/17
David Heim <david...@gmail.com> wrote:
> set _platform2tkdnd [dict create {*}$types]
>
> I am running Tcl/Tk 8.4.9 under Windows 7 and Windows 10
>
> Can someone help me with this error?

The {*} operator is only supported on Tcl 8.5 and above.

Upgrade your Tcl to a version from this century and at least this
specific error should go away.

Georgios Petasis

Dec 24, 2017, 1:33:15 PM12/24/17
Hm, sorry, I forgot to check. It has been so long I have used 8.4, that
I don't even have it around for checking.

By the way, I have moved tkdnd to github:
https://github.com/petasis/tkdnd

Best,
George