Black window during resize in py2app tkinter

radaro...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2018, 12:50:21 AM12/3/18
Hi. I understand that this isn't the place for tkinter or py2app bugs, but I presume that this is related to the macOS 10.14 tk/tcl changes, and hopefully is suitably straightforward to reproduce. Thanks very much for your work.

On macOS 10.14, with tk/tcl 8.6.9, when running Tkinter in Python 3.7.1 from the following app.py, the Tkinter window appears correctly and works fine when resizing.

When building an application using py2app 0.18 and the following setup.py, the Tkinter window still appears correctly when stationary. However, during resizing of the window, it becomes black.

app.py

import tkinter
root = tkinter.Tk()
root.mainloop()

setup.py

from setuptools import setup
setup(
app=['app.py'],
data_files=[],
options={},
version='1.0.0',
author='Test',
setup_requires=['py2app'],
)

Christian Gollwitzer

Dec 3, 2018, 1:20:50 AM12/3/18
Am 03.12.18 um 06:50 schrieb radaro...@gmail.com:
> Hi. I understand that this isn't the place for tkinter or py2app bugs, but I presume that this is related to the macOS 10.14 tk/tcl changes, and hopefully is suitably straightforward to reproduce. Thanks very much for your work.
>
> On macOS 10.14, with tk/tcl 8.6.9, when running Tkinter in Python 3.7.1 from the following app.py, the Tkinter window appears correctly and works fine when resizing.
>
> When building an application using py2app 0.18 and the following setup.py, the Tkinter window still appears correctly when stationary. However, during resizing of the window, it becomes black.

Could you please verify the version of Tcl/Tk which is running in both
cases? You should get it by

tk.eval('info patchlevel')

and

tk.eval('package require Tk')

Christian

radaro...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2018, 7:43:48 AM12/3/18
Sure. Using -

import tkinter
root = tkinter.Tk()
print("info patchlevel: "+root.eval('info patchlevel'))
print("package require Tk: "+root.eval('package require Tk'))
root.mainloop()

For both cases, I get

info patchlevel: 8.6.9
package require Tk: 8.6.9

radaro...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2018, 4:14:26 PM12/20/18
I have continued this discussion at https://core.tcl.tk/tk/tktview?name=ef9c3730e38d240eb4dd8dd806279ab0ae652729

Apparently, an unreleased fix for this might already be present in the 8.6 branch.