Expect broken on Windows 8.1?

Michael Keith

Aug 13, 2015, 10:10:38 AM8/13/15
Hello,
on my Windows box I cannot use Expect (version 5.43.2).
Even doing something simple like
exp_spawn cmd
I get back an identifier, but then a message box pops up telling me:
This program has encountered a problem ...

Is this a known problem?
Best regards
M'

Les Cargill

Aug 16, 2015, 11:12:28 AM8/16/15
Permissions problem? "Run as administrator" sort of thing?

I don't use expect per se, but Tcl 8.x works well on Win8.1

--
Les Cargill

Andreas Kupries

Oct 10, 2015, 4:08:44 AM10/10/15
The implementation of "Expect 4 Windows" (E4W) uses some deep magic
with injecting a small piece of assembly code into the process it
talks to, to intercept the IO functions and reroute them to itself.

This is similar to how malware operates.

Thus the tighter security restrictions of the more recent Windows
releases (7+ I think) prevent E4W from working.

This is AFAIK.

The sources of E4W are open if you wish to see all the gory
details. See

https://sourceforge.net/projects/expect/files/Expect%204%20Windows/

--
So long,