Video with Tcl

Westermeyer

Nov 22, 2018, 10:03:18 AM11/22/18
Hello,

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'd like to use Tcl/Tk for an educational application, but I have some issues remaining, notably the ability to handle video. I'm aware of the TkVideo project, but I'd like a cross-platform solution... The "auto_execok" function seems like it might be helpful for launching a default video player with a video file, but some subtle problems exist there (and I can't get it going on the Mac). Any ideas?

Steve

Brad Lanam

Nov 22, 2018, 1:23:09 PM11/22/18
On Thursday, November 22, 2018 at 7:03:18 AM UTC-8, Westermeyer wrote:
> I'd like to use Tcl/Tk for an educational application, but I have some issues remaining, notably the ability to handle video. I'm aware of the TkVideo project, but I'd like a cross-platform solution... The "auto_execok" function seems like it might be helpful for launching a default video player with a video file, but some subtle problems exist there (and I can't get it going on the Mac). Any ideas?

vlc works on all platforms.

Some of these options are specific to my use case, adjust as necessary.
Mac can't embed it into a Tk window.

vlc --intf http --no-loop --no-repeat --no-autoscale --no-osd --quiet \
--canvas-width=$MYWIDTH [file nativename myvideofile] vlc://quit

Westermeyer

Nov 23, 2018, 10:04:54 AM11/23/18
Thanks Brad, this is very helpful!