README: Tcl-URL! - the weekly guide to Tcl resources

Cameron Laird

Jul 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/27/98

Is it really vacation season? There's space to mention only a frac-
tion of the thoughtful announcements and analyses that appeared in
the last week:

Donal K. Fellows offers 75 lines of code to dump the
contents of a canvas
http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/tcl/dumpcanv.tcl

Paul Duffin explains how to code a C interface to Tcl's
bytecode compiler to improve performance
http://x1.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=372390483

Bryan Oakley refines his "widget-morphing" to disable
selected entry functions
http://x9.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=373883803
and releases his pure-Tcl combobox
http://www1.clearlight.com/~oakley/tcl/combobox/index.html

Multiple posts during the week express satisfaction
with various offerings of Jay Sekora's JSTOOLS package
http://www.aq.org/~js/js-jstools.html

Andreas Kupries releases 1.2 of Trf and TrfCrypt, which
fold compression, error-correction, encryption, ... into
I/O in intelligent ways
ftp://ftp.westend.com/pub/aku/trf1.2.README
ftp://ftp.westend.com/pub/aku/trfcrypt1.2.README

Martin Schrape <MSch...@atomika.com> has ported 8.0p1 to
VxWorks, and plans to do the same for 8.1 (including
threads!) this summer.

Jeffrey Hobbs' FAQ on Tk usage has moved to
http://oprs.mchh.siemens.de/tcl/faqs/tk/

The Beta 5 release of TclPro includes its Wrapper, Checker,
and Compiler
http://www.scriptics.com/beta

MathWizards, Inc. releases a beta of MathXplorer/T.
http://www.mathwizards.com/products/tcl

Tycho Slate is the Tycho project's mature refinement
of the canvas widget
http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/~johnr/code/slate/

Everything you want is probably one or two clicks away in these pages:

The "Welcome to comp.lang.tcl" message by Andreas Kupries
http://www.westend.com/~kupries/c.l.t.welcome.html

Larry Virden maintains a comp.lang.tcl FAQ launcher
http://www.teraform.com/~lvirden/tcl-faq/

Scriptics maintains a highly organized Tcl resource center
http://www.scriptics.com/resource/

NeoSoft has a comp.lang.tcl contributed sources archive
http://www.neosoft.com/tcl/contributed-software/

Cameron Laird tracks many Tcl/Tk references of interest
http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.lang.tcl/tcl.html

Tcl/Tk Consortium can search comp.lang.tcl and c.l.t.announce
http://www.tclconsortium.org/resources/

Cetus Links maintains a Tcl/Tk page with verified links
http://www.cetus-links.org/oo_tcl_tk.html

Posts on comp.lang.tcl.announce are archived by XPI ("Tix")
http://www.xpi.com/tcl/comp.lang.tcl.announce/

A new resource center, maintained by UNIFIX
http://www.unifix-online.com/tcltk/resources.html
(In case of frames problems, use
http://www.unifix-online.com/ and go to Tcl/Tk Section)

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
http://www.dejanews.com/dnquery.xp?QRY=~g%20comp.lang.tcl%20Tcl-URL%21
Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

-- Cameron, substituting for Jean-Claude
--

Cameron Laird http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/home.html
cla...@NeoSoft.com +1 713 996 8546 FAX

lvi...@cas.org

Jul 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/29/98

I have to say how much I appreciate this weekly posting.

Back in the old days when Java first started, there was a project called
Digital Espresso which attempted to summarize into a 'newsletter' form
what was going on in the newsgroups. The folk working on that project
eventually gave up on providing updates and I sorely miss it.

Tcl isn't as voluminous a community as Java was (and is) but it is
starting to pick up a bit. Having a way to summarize the salient points
from the past week is, to me, a valuable contribution to the community
and I want to thank those of you involved with it's production,
as well as those providing FAQ maintenance and other similar functions
to the community for all that you have done over the years - but particularly
over the past year.

Each of your efforts are appreciated.
--
<URL:mailto:lvi...@cas.org> Quote: In heaven, there is no panic,
<*> O- <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> only planning.

Cameron Laird

Aug 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/3/98

Tclers persist in articulating wonderfully informative analyses:

Mark Harrison explains the "8.0.3" about which insiders have
been talking. He closes with the momentous news that "John O.
has suggested putting the Tcl core on an anonymous CVS server."
!!
http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=376579188

Alexandre Ferrieux releases a marvelous tutorial on "Concepts
of Architectural Design for Tcl Applications"
ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/sorted/text/tclarch.txt

Discussions on bug reports, the Tcl development process,
and allied topics breaks out in a number of threads,
including
http://www.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&what=news&
text=yes&q=%2B%228.0.3%22+%2B%22comp.lang.tcl%22&search=Search

Programming of fileevents again proves a fertile source of
discussion and education
http://www.altavista.digital.com/cgi-bin/query?pg=q&what=news&
text=yes&q=%2B%22comp.lang.tcl%22+%2B%22nasty+fileevent%22&
search=Search

Martin Shepherd concludes the "How can I make tclsh event-
driven" thread with a definitive code offering
http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=374991668
while Victor Wagner reminds readers of TkCon
http://oprs.mchh.siemens.de/tcl/script/tkcon/

Rodney explains the-product-formerly-known-as-OpenNT from a
c.l.t perspective
http://www.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=376257964.1

Don Libes masterfully introduces named-pipe programming
http://x4.dejanews.com/getdoc.xp?AN=376071080

[...]

Links2Go is a new semi-automated link collection; it's impressive
what AI can generate
http://www.links2go.com/topic/TCL/TK

Previous - (U)se the (R)esource, (L)uke! - messages are listed here:
http://www.dejanews.com/dnquery.xp?QRY=~g%20comp.lang.tcl%20Tcl-URL%21
Suggestions/corrections for next week's posting are always welcome.

-- Cameron, substituting for Jean-Claude

Administrative notes: thanks to Jeffrey Hobbs and Larry Virden for their
support of this project. Also, I'm looking to hand the reins over to a
new reporter, so I can move on to other projects.

Alexandre Ferrieux

Aug 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/3/98
Hmmm....

Sorry, the URL for the architecture guide is supposed to be:

ftp://ftp.neosoft.com/pub/tcl/sorted/info/doc/tclarch.txt

I am responsible for spreading the wrong one with 'sorted/text' :)

-Alex