Tcl ASCII plotting

Robert

Aug 7, 2017, 9:19:43 PM8/7/17
Is there a library out there for Tcl that makes it "easy" to do various ASCII plotting to the terminal?

Thanks,

Bob

Arjen Markus

Aug 8, 2017, 7:02:39 AM8/8/17
I am not aware of anything nor have I found anything on the Wiki.

What kind of plots are you looking for and what kind of interfacing? I mean, should the plot simply be written to a file for later inspection or do you want it on screen and do you want to add items after the initial plot appears?

If that is what you want, you will have to have control over the screen, like with curses.

Regards,

Arjen

Robert

Aug 8, 2017, 8:34:22 AM8/8/17
I am just thinking something really simple. I am mapping out the features I want and I will make an "asciiplot" package. I just wanted to see if there was something out there. I checked the wiki and google too but you never know what people have in their own personal stashes. :)

Thanks!

Bob

Arjen Markus

Aug 8, 2017, 9:25:24 AM8/8/17
Right :). It has been a very long time since I tried anything of the sort. I mostly use the graphical features of Tk nowadays.

Regards,

Arjen

Donal K. Fellows

Aug 8, 2017, 3:47:44 PM8/8/17
On 08/08/2017 02:19, Robert wrote:
> Is there a library out there for Tcl that makes it "easy" to do
> various ASCII plotting to the terminal?

The only times I've ever wanted that sort of thing, I've used a gnuplot
subprocess (with the output type set to “term” if I remember right).

Donal.
--
Donal Fellows — Tcl user, Tcl maintainer, TIP editor.

Robert

Aug 8, 2017, 6:18:17 PM8/8/17
Sadly, that isn't available. Or not sadly really, as it means I get to create something in Tcl. :)

Bob