A minimalist file manager?

Richard Owlett

Sep 26, 2018, 11:06:09 AM9/26/18
"File manager" may suggest a much too powerful tool.
I wish ONLY to move files (implies deletion from source directory).

I envision 2 or 3 open windows on desktop displaying directory of
different devices. I wish to select file(s) in one window by clicking on
them and move them to desired sub-directory in another window with a
mouse click. It would be nice if I could specify the background color of
each window independently.

The wiki had a half dozen references - i.e. it is doable.
They tended to be too powerful, out of date, and/or have broken links.

Any suggestions on what to investigate?

TIA

Alexandru

Sep 26, 2018, 3:46:42 PM9/26/18
I would use TreeCtrl for defining Windows Explorer like UI.

Richard Owlett

Sep 26, 2018, 11:10:59 PM9/26/18
Took a quick look at related wiki pages.It's unclear how much work would
be required. But looks very nice solution for another project. Will
investigate after a good night's sleep and at least one cup of coffee.
Thanks.

Richard Owlett

Sep 27, 2018, 5:44:50 AM9/27/18
I asked questions on a LUG list and on debia...@lists.debian.org .
Suggestions tended to lead to a two pane file manager.
Having followed multiple chains of links caused me to rethink my work
flow simplifying use of my current file manager (Caja).

Long term, I'll pursue a two pane solution.
A chain of links led to 'filerunner'
[https://sourceforge.net/projects/filerunner/].

I've downloaded it and am closely reading the documentation to chose
which options to initially chose.

Usage appears to be intuitive - at least for my work style.
It is intrinsically highly configurable.
It is written in Tcl/Tk allowing/encouraging further customization.

Arjen Markus

Sep 27, 2018, 6:05:43 AM9/27/18
I have been using the Total Commander (on Windows) by Christian Ghisler for many years and cannot live without it ;). It has the same two-pane design as you mention (though I would not call it a minimal solution) and many functions I find indispensable. Such as simply viewing the contents of a file without having to start a program that is dedicated to the file type in question.

Regards,

Arjen

greg

Sep 27, 2018, 11:38:55 AM9/27/18
Am Mittwoch, 26. September 2018 17:06:09 UTC+2 schrieb Richard Owlett:
TkMC clone of MC file manager.

http://wiki.tcl-lang.org/7772
or
http://www.androwish.org/index.html/dir?ci=3d556568f5250c31&name=assets/TkMC1.0

escargo

Oct 23, 2018, 11:46:31 PM10/23/18
Wow. If this could be extended to be a directed duplicate file detector, that would be brilliant.