tclsh and emacs

Olivier

Feb 11, 2002, 7:44:43 AM2/11/02
Hello,

I am running tclsh inside emacs on windows. It's work but i am not abble to
see the prompt.
Does anybody has an idea about the problem ?

Thanks.
Olivier

Benjamin Riefenstahl

Feb 16, 2002, 4:12:21 PM2/16/02
"Olivier" <oli...@videotron.ca> writes:
> I am running tclsh inside emacs on windows. It's work but i am not
> abble to see the prompt.

Have a look at <URL:http://mini.net/tcl/3005.html> and let us know if
that helps.

Asif

May 28, 2016, 6:03:41 PM5/28/16
You need to set tcl_prompt1 to what ever string you want to display as the prompt. You can do this in the startup ".tclshrc".

Example tcl_prompt1:

set tcl_prompt1 {puts "[info hostname]:[pwd]>"}
_
Asif

Gerald W. Lester

May 28, 2016, 10:52:12 PM5/28/16
You do realize you replied to a post that was more than 14 years old?

I highly doubt the OP is anxiously scanning the news group for an answer.

| Gerald W. Lester |
|"The man who fights for his ideals is the man who is alive." - Cervantes|

Rich

May 28, 2016, 10:59:09 PM5/28/16
Gerald W. Lester <Gerald...@kng-consulting.net> wrote:
> On 5/28/16 5:03 PM, Asif wrote:
> > On Monday, February 11, 2002 at 4:44:43 AM UTC-8, Olivier wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am running tclsh inside emacs on windows. It's work but i am not
> >> abble to see the prompt. Does anybody has an idea about the
> >> problem ?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> Olivier
> >
> > You need to set tcl_prompt1 to what ever string you want to display
> > as the prompt. You can do this in the startup ".tclshrc".
> >
> > Example tcl_prompt1:
> >
> > set tcl_prompt1 {puts "[info hostname]:[pwd]>"}
> > _
> > Asif

> You do realize you replied to a post that was more than 14 years old?

Not surprising considering the source:

For some reason google groups users seem to not notice article posting dates.

Alexandre Ferrieux

May 29, 2016, 5:47:22 AM5/29/16
On Sunday, May 29, 2016 at 4:59:09 AM UTC+2, Rich wrote:

> For some reason google groups users seem to not notice article posting dates.

Yes. Or maybe that's just due to the fact that they found the article by Search. It already happened back in the days of DejaNews, but at that time you needed an NNTP client to reply. Today the search lands them on a GG page with a conspicuous Reply button. Why bother about time ;-)

-Alex

Donald Arseneau

May 29, 2016, 8:39:46 PM5/29/16
"Gerald W. Lester" <Gerald...@KnG-Consulting.net> writes:

> On 5/28/16 5:03 PM, Asif wrote:
> > On Monday, February 11, 2002 at 4:44:43 AM UTC-8, Olivier wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am running tclsh inside emacs on windows. It's work but i am not abble to
> >> see the prompt.
> >> Does anybody has an idea about the problem ?
> >>
> >> Thanks.
> >> Olivier
> >
> > You need to set tcl_prompt1 to what ever string you want to display as the prompt. You can do this in the startup ".tclshrc".
> >
> > Example tcl_prompt1:
> >
> > set tcl_prompt1 {puts "[info hostname]:[pwd]>"}
> > _
> > Asif
>
> You do realize you replied to a post that was more than 14 years old?
>
> I highly doubt the OP is anxiously scanning the news group for an answer.

Since the threads are archived and searched, providing an
answer is always useful. (Asking for clarification would
not be.)

--
Donald Arseneau as...@triumf.ca

Ricardo kozmate.net

May 31, 2016, 7:37:55 PM5/31/16
Em 30/05/16 01:39, Donald Arseneau escreveu:
Agreed. I actually would like to know how to have a prompt while using
TCL within Emacs, on Windows. Not really urgent, I have never searched
around for it. But the reply almost fell on my lap here :-)

... unfortunatelly this reply does not seem to solve my problem. Place
.tclshrc where?... Has no effect on the prompt (or anything that I
notice) both on the same folder as ".emacs" is
(<username>\<something>\Roaming or whatever, I am not on Windows at
home, only at work) nor from within ".emacs.d"

--
{ricardo from kozmate.net}

Rich

May 31, 2016, 9:58:33 PM5/31/16

Ralf Fassel

Jun 2, 2016, 3:59:36 AM6/2/16
* "Ricardo kozmate.net" <ric...@kozmate.net>
| Agreed. I actually would like to know how to have a prompt while using
| TCL within Emacs, on Windows.

I earlier made the experience that under Windows subshells like tclsh
sometimes have the idea that they are not running on a terminal (aka
pty), so they display no prompt. Unfortunately I can't find any hint on
that in my startup elisp...

| ... unfortunatelly this reply does not seem to solve my problem.
| Place .tclshrc where?...

Where tclsh looks for it: $::env(HOME).

HTH
R'

Kevin Kenny

Jun 20, 2016, 10:43:59 AM6/20/16
Since this zombie thread has arisen from the grave, let me just insert the note that most of the 'lost prompt' problems arise from having stdin/stdout not be the terminal (often, they're pipes of some sort). The decision can be overridden by doing

set ::tcl_interactive 1

Andreas Kupries

Jul 1, 2016, 4:07:50 PM7/1/16
Ralf Fassel <ral...@gmx.de> writes:

> * "Ricardo kozmate.net" <ric...@kozmate.net>
> | Agreed. I actually would like to know how to have a prompt while using
> | TCL within Emacs, on Windows.
>
> I earlier made the experience that under Windows subshells like tclsh
> sometimes have the idea that they are not running on a terminal (aka
> pty), so they display no prompt. Unfortunately I can't find any hint on
> that in my startup elisp...

Tcl's (or tclsh's) global variable "tcl_interactive" is writable and
changes the behaviour.

Using
set tcl_interactive 1

in the .tclshrc will cause tclsh to do prompting even if it thinks
that it is not run within a proper terminal.

I often had to do that when running tclsh in an MSYS terminal+bash.

> | ... unfortunatelly this reply does not seem to solve my problem.
> | Place .tclshrc where?...
>
> Where tclsh looks for it: $::env(HOME).

--
So long,