"Tcl Tutorial" as single file (HTML or compressed)

Richard Owlett

Jul 27, 2018, 5:50:43 AM7/27/18
I have installed tcltutor30b7. Between my screen geometry and aging
eyesight, I find it annoying to use as a reference.

[http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/tcltutorial.html] solves the
readability issues. Is it available as a single file (any format)?

TIA

Ralf Fassel

Jul 27, 2018, 6:14:55 AM7/27/18
* Richard Owlett <row...@cloud85.net>
| [http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/tcltutorial.html] solves the
| readability issues. Is it available as a single file (any format)?

If you're on Linux,
wget -q -r -l 1 http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/
might get you a copy.

HTH
R'

Arjen Markus

Jul 27, 2018, 6:43:50 AM7/27/18
On Friday, July 27, 2018 at 12:14:55 PM UTC+2, Ralf Fassel wrote:
> * Richard Owlett
> | [http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/tcltutorial.html] solves the
> | readability issues. Is it available as a single file (any format)?
>
> If you're on Linux,
> wget -q -r -l 1 http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/
> might get you a copy.
>
> HTH
> R'

Otherwise, I have converted the tutorial (or better one version of it) into a PDF file. Not entirely flawless, but I think it is quite useable. I can send it to you if you want :).

Regards,

Arjen

Richard Owlett

Jul 27, 2018, 7:32:46 AM7/27/18
Yes I'm on Linux, don't claim much more expertise there than with Tcl.
Tried your command - nothing _apparently_ happen.
Went to man page. Then removed "-q". It is apparently sending
"something" "somewhere" ;{
The man page did tell me ONE thing. "wget" is the appropriate tool.
A web search turned up multiple tutorials. Will pursue later.
Right now I've Tcl problem to solve.
Thank you.

Richard Owlett

Jul 27, 2018, 7:37:37 AM7/27/18
YES *PLEASE* Thank you.

Arjen Markus

Jul 27, 2018, 7:42:52 AM7/27/18
Slight problem: where to send it to?

Regards,

Arjen

Richard Owlett

Jul 27, 2018, 7:50:53 AM7/27/18
My email rowlett AT cloud85 DOT net would be fine.
One of the benefits of paid email service.
Thanks

Arjen Markus

Jul 27, 2018, 7:58:52 AM7/27/18
Thanks - it is on its way.

Regards,

Arjen

Richard Owlett

Jul 27, 2018, 10:40:12 AM7/27/18
Recieved. Tried to acknowledge. My email provider is having system
problems ;/

Ralf Fassel

Jul 30, 2018, 5:16:31 AM7/30/18
* Richard Owlett <row...@cloud85.net>
| On 07/27/2018 05:14 AM, Ralf Fassel wrote:
| > * Richard Owlett <row...@cloud85.net>
| > | [http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/tcltutorial.html] solves the
| > | readability issues. Is it available as a single file (any format)?
| >
| > If you're on Linux,
| > wget -q -r -l 1 http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/
| > might get you a copy.
| >

| Yes I'm on Linux, don't claim much more expertise there than with Tcl.
| Tried your command - nothing _apparently_ happen.
| Went to man page. Then removed "-q". It is apparently sending
| "something" "somewhere" ;{

It should have created the directory structure
./www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/
in the directory where you invoked the wget command. The tutorial files
are in the tutorial/ subdir. There might be some wget invocation magic
so that they are created w/o the intermediate directory structure, but
I haven't checked that deep.

HTH
R'

Richard Owlett

Jul 30, 2018, 6:14:36 AM7/30/18
It's there. I don't know why I didn't find it. The "MATE Search Tool"
found it just now without problem.

I had even tried to consult the man page - that's why I tried without
"-q". Searched man page this morning and found the only mention of where
the downloaded files would be was under the "--directory-prefix=prefix"
option. AARGH ;/

Thank you.

Ralf Fassel

Jul 30, 2018, 9:00:02 AM7/30/18
* Richard Owlett <row...@cloud85.net>
| I had even tried to consult the man page - that's why I tried without
| "-q". Searched man page this morning and found the only mention of
| where the downloaded files would be was under the
| "--directory-prefix=prefix" option. AARGH ;/

Also
-nH
--no-host-directories
Disable generation of host-prefixed directories. By default,
invoking Wget with -r http://fly.srk.fer.hr/ will create a
structure of directories beginning with fly.srk.fer.hr/.
This option disables such behavior.

--cut-dirs=number
Ignore number directory components. This is useful for
getting a fine-grained control over the directory where
recursive retrieval will be saved.

might be of use here...

wget -q -r -l 1 -nH --cut-dirs 3 http://www.tcl.tk/man/tcl8.5/tutorial/

stores all tutorial files in current directory.

R'

Arjen Markus

Aug 6, 2018, 2:42:12 AM8/6/18
Well, I had no access to the Internet the past week, but that was on account of a holiday :). You're welcome.

Regards,

Arjen