ANNOUNCE: tarray 0.9, xtal 0.9 and friends

Ashok

Jun 22, 2018, 6:50:29 AM6/22/18
# Overview

As is true for scripting languages in general, Tcl incurs significant
overhead in terms of memory as well as performance when operating on
large amounts of data. The set of packages described here provide
a more performant and convenient means of working with large data
sets. The three packages are

* `tarray` - implements the core column and table data types and
parallelized operations on data sets
* `xtal` - provides succint, convenient syntax for working with
tables and columns as well as Tcl lists and dicts
* `tarray_ui` - Tk widget wrappers for displaying data
as charts and tables using RBC and tktreectrl.

The packages come with comprehensive documentation, an extensive test
suite containing almost 30,000 tests and are covered
by a liberal open source license.

# Links

* Documentation: https://tarray.magicsplat.com
* Introduction: https://tarray.magicsplat.com/introduction.html
* Downloads: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tarray/files/
* SF project page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/tarray

# Downloads

The Downloads area contains the following files:

* `tarray-bin-VERSION.zip` and `xtal-bin-VERSION.zip` contain Windows
binaries
of `tarray` and `xtal` for both 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.

* `tarray-VERSION.tar.gz` and `xtal-VERSION.tar.gz` contain TEA-based
source distributions of `tarray` and `xtal` for Unix platforms.

* `tarray_ui-VERSION.tar.gz` and `tarray_ui-VERSION.zip` contain the
`tarray_ui` pure Tcl package.

The directory also contains optional third-party packages that are
used to implement the widgets in the `tarray_ui` package:

* `rbc-bin-VERSION (x86).zip` and `rbc-bin-VERSION (x64).zip`
contain 32- and 64-bit binaries of the `RBC` package used by `tarray_ui`
to display charts. The rbc-VERSION.tar.gz contains the TEA based
source distribution suitable for compiling on Unix platforms.
These are built from a fork of the original RBC package with
some fixes for Windows and a stubs interface for more efficient
integration with `tarray`.

* `tktreectrl-bin-VERSION (x86).zip` and `tktreectrl-bin-VERSION (x64).zip`
contain 32- and 64-bit binaries of the `tktreectrl` package used by
`tarray_ui`
to display tables. The tktreectrl-VERSION.tar.gz contains the TEA based
source distribution suitable for compiling on Unix platforms.
These are built from a fork of the original tktreectrl package with
some performance fixes.

For further information about installing the above files see
the documentation section at https://tarray.magicsplat.com/build.html.

Harald Oehlmann

Jun 22, 2018, 8:24:38 AM6/22/18
Wow!
Ashok, how many programmers do you have in the background to create all
this;-)

How does it compare to VecTCL?

My appreciation,
Harald

rene

Jun 22, 2018, 8:54:25 AM6/22/18
Hi Ashok,

I'm working on porting rbc to tk.
Could you tell me which rbc functions you need?

Thank you
René

Ashok

Jun 22, 2018, 9:14:33 PM6/22/18
On 6/22/2018 6:24 PM, rene wrote
> Hi Ashok,
>
> I'm working on porting rbc to tk.
> Could you tell me which rbc functions you need?
>
> Thank you
> René

I presume you mean in the stubs? If so, see
https://github.com/apnadkarni/rbctoolkit/blob/master/rbc/generic/rbcDecls.h

If you mean at the application level, all the graphing/charting plus
vectors (so almost all of RBC).

I have some comments about RBC in the core, but those are probably best
left to the Tcl core mailing list.

/Ashok

Ashok

Jun 22, 2018, 9:25:06 PM6/22/18
On 6/22/2018 5:51 PM, Harald Oehlmann wrote:
> Wow!
> Ashok, how many programmers do you have in the background to create all
> this;-)

Ha. Time and perseverance are your friends; spend enough of it and
anything will get done :-) I've worked on twapi for more than a decade
and a half (yikes!). And tarray since 2012!

> How does it compare to VecTCL?
>
> My appreciation,
> Harald

I think the main difference is that VecTcl is focused on numerical
computing while tarray is more of a data store with the intent over time
(not yet) to be able to support operations needed in data science. For
example, VecTcl has matrices, complex numbers and a wide variety of math
functions, but no support for non-numerical data. Tarray on the other
hand has columns and tables with stronger search, sort, query and
grouping operations but limited vector math.

/Ashok

Harald Oehlmann

Jun 25, 2018, 2:33:43 AM6/25/18
Am 23.06.2018 um 03:25 schrieb Ashok:
>> How does it compare to VecTCL?
>
> I think the main difference is that VecTcl is focused on numerical
> computing while tarray is more of a data store with the intent over time
> (not yet) to be able to support operations needed in data science. For
> example, VecTcl has matrices, complex numbers and a wide variety of math
> functions, but no support for non-numerical data. Tarray on the other
> hand has columns and tables with stronger search, sort, query and
> grouping operations but limited vector math.

Ashok, Christian,

thank you for the answer.
THen, the question arises: Is it senseful to link both packages?

Harald