ANNOUNCE: Tcl Windows API 4.3.5 released

Ashok

May 8, 2018, 4:21:39 AM5/8/18
# Tcl Windows API (TWAPI) 4.3

This is the release version of TWAPI 4.3.

* Project home page is at https://twapi.sourceforge.net
* V4.3 documentation is at https://twapi.magicsplat.com/v4.3

## Supported platforms

TWAPI 4.3 requires

* Windows XP (32-bit only) or later (32- or 64- bit)
* Tcl 8.6 (32- or 64-bit) (NOTE: Tcl 8.5 is no longer supported)

## Changes since 4.2

Changes in this release are enhancements in the `crypto`, `com` and
`tls` modules.

Tcl 8.5 support has been dropped.

For a complete list, including INCOMPATIBLE CHANGES, see
https://twapi.magicsplat.com/v4.3/versionhistory.html

## Distributions

TWAPI is distributed in multiple formats.
See https://twapi.magicsplat.com/v4.3/installation.html for the details
and the pros and cons of each format.

## TWAPI Summary

The Tcl Windows API (TWAPI) extension provides
access to over 600 functions in the Windows API
from within the Tcl scripting language.

Functions in the following areas are implemented:

* System functions including OS and CPU information,
shutdown and message formatting
* User and group management
* COM client and server support
* Security and resource access control
* Window management
* User input: generate key/mouse input and hotkeys
* Basic sound playback functions
* Windows services
* Windows event log access
* Windows event tracing
* Process and thread management
* Directory change monitoring
* Lan Manager and file and print shares
* Drive information, file system types etc.
* Network configuration and statistics
* Network connection monitoring and control
* Named pipes
* Clipboard access
* Taskbar icons and notifications
* Console mode functions
* Window stations and desktops
* Internationalization
* Task scheduling
* Shell functions
* Windows Installer
* Synchronization
* Power management
* Device I/O and management
* Crypto API and certificates
* SSL/TLS
* Windows Performance Counters

Harald Oehlmann

May 8, 2018, 5:21:39 AM5/8/18
Wow, gret, thank you for the release !
Binary helpful for starkit.

Thanks a lot,
Harald

ton...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2018, 6:42:17 AM6/22/18
Do you plan to release a tclkit with Thread package included?
In PCs with minimum 4-8 threads it's already a need. ;)

Ashok

Jun 22, 2018, 6:48:28 AM6/22/18
On 6/22/2018 4:12 PM, ton...@gmail.com wrote:
> Do you plan to release a tclkit with Thread package included?
> In PCs with minimum 4-8 threads it's already a need. ;)

No current plans I'm afraid. There is a constant tension between some
folks wanting a slim tclkit versus others wanting miscellaneous other
packages (sqlite, tdbc, thread etc.) Given that you can add a VFS with
those extensions via sdx without needing to compile or build, I decided
to keep tclkit bare bones except for twapi which is a favoured child :-)

/Ashok

ton...@gmail.com

Jun 22, 2018, 6:53:45 AM6/22/18
Well, I think that it's better a slim tclkit. But I also think that Thread should be a core feature (as OO) and ddbb are not.
Thank you anyway ;)

sled...@gmail.com

Nov 27, 2018, 11:25:58 PM11/27/18

FYI -
The following suggests an issue with the creation of an instance. Important because MS is moving many of their desktop technologies to OneCore.

namespace path twapi
(bin) 55 % comobj SAPI_OneCore.SpVoice
No such interface supported

Note: Tcom returns a valid handle.