BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT: The Tcl Programming Language

pal...@yahoo.com

Jul 9, 2017, 10:42:15 AM7/9/17
Announcing the release of my book - The Tcl Programming Language.

Description from the back cover:

----
The Tcl Programming Language is a comprehensive guide to the current
version (8.6) of this immensely flexible and versatile
language. Starting with the basic features, it expands its scope to
include the more advanced concepts, facilities and programming idioms
from which the language derives its power.

* Begin with the basics of Tcl syntax and commands for operating on
data.

* Get acquainted with the flexible and uniform execution model that
enables metaprogramming, custom control structures etc.

* Learn to modularize your code with namespaces, object-oriented
design and packages.

* See how intrinsic support for Unicode and encodings makes it a
breeze to localize your applications.

* Become conversant with the integrated event loop and how it
facilitates efficient asynchronous I/O models and the reactive style
of programming.

* Delve into Tcl's sophisticated I/O framework and write your own
reflected channels, transforms and virtual file systems.

* Understand the built-in facilities for inter-process communication
using pipes or the network.

* See how concurrent programming facilities like coroutines and
threads can simplify your code and make it more performant.

* Learn how to secure your application through the use of safe
interpreters for sandboxing.

* Interact with databases through the Tcl Database Connectivity
interface.

* Discover how software distribution and installation headaches are
eliminated with starkits and single file deployment.

The breadth of coverage and numerous examples will familiarize
newcomers to every aspect of Tcl programming. At the same time, the
depth and level of detail, and an exhaustive index, make The Tcl
Programming Language a valuable reference in every Tcl programmer’s
bookshelf.

----

You can download a PDF of the Table of Contents from https://1drv.ms/b/s!AAlNWLb1CeJFgeYI

The ebook version of the book (PDF format) is now available from https://gum.co/tclprog.

The print version is slated for release in the last week of July.

Ashok Nadkarni

Harald Oehlmann

Jul 10, 2017, 4:37:20 AM7/10/17
Wow ! Congratulations Ashok, it happened, an up top date book about TCL!

I would be glad if any Germany-Based folks may report here, if and how
they organized to buy the book in Germany.
Thank you, this is a real gift !
Harald

sled...@gmail.com

Jul 10, 2017, 2:13:27 PM7/10/17
Just purchased it; started reading it; really like it; but...
What is the difference between "Current" User and "Effective" user as it related to file management? Could not find where that distinction was defined or described.

Matthew Hiles

Jul 10, 2017, 4:56:32 PM7/10/17

pal...@yahoo.com

Jul 10, 2017, 10:41:24 PM7/10/17
Thank you Harald. I assume you are asking about the print version since the PDF is already available irrespective of location. The print book should be available through Amazon's EU sites about the same time it is published in the US in a couple of weeks.

/Ashok

Harald Oehlmann

Jul 11, 2017, 4:14:06 AM7/11/17
Am 11.07.2017 um 04:41 schrieb pal...@yahoo.com:
> Thank you Harald. I assume you are asking about the print version since the PDF is already available irrespective of location. The print book should be available through Amazon's EU sites about the same time it is published in the US in a couple of weeks.

Thank you,
Amazon (in Germany) plays often a super Game to only act in behalf of
someone else.
The result is that you might not get official documents like a valid
invoice. You don't care if you buy for your own, but for a company you
need an invoice.
Thats why I asked this question to my collegues.

Regards,
Harald

pal...@yahoo.com

Jul 11, 2017, 5:09:25 AM7/11/17
Oh I see, pesky bureaucracy :-)

I don't know about Amazon, but in the case of Gumroad (where the PDF is available), they will email you an acknowledgement which contains a link to generate an invoice. You can fill in the name and address and download the generated invoice which will also include their EU VAT id.

Of course, that may or may not suffice for your purposes.

/Ashok

On Tuesday, July 11, 2017 at 1:44:06 PM UTC+5:30, Harald Oehlmann wrote:
> Am 11.07.2017 um 04:41:

undro...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2017, 8:03:09 AM7/12/17
Ashok,

thank you for all your work, especially for this new book. Being old-school I will buy the paper version according to this famous Groucho Marx quote: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.". Meanwhile the ebook still great is, think alone of the typographic convenience, provided a driver license at hand :-), and I begin to wonder, how Groucho's words still hold when the ebook reader has its backlight on, inside a dog.

Best,
Christian

PS: (... to the TCT, too) I would like you, Ashok, to be in the TCT, if I had a vote.

Robert

Jul 13, 2017, 3:28:33 PM7/13/17
Ashok,

Is there going to be a book/ebook bundle that you know of?

Thanks for your hard work!

Bob

pal...@yahoo.com

Jul 13, 2017, 10:12:36 PM7/13/17
I don't mind doing that in principle but trying to figure out how that would work from a logistical perspective. The print version is published via CreateSpace / Amazon while the PDF is distributed via gumroad. I need to figure out if and how to bundle the two on Amazon (or elsewhere).

Robert

Jul 17, 2017, 5:08:33 PM7/17/17
If it's a hassle, no worries to just ignore this. :)

I am going to get them both anyway.

--
Bob

pal...@yahoo.com

Jul 20, 2017, 3:51:50 AM7/20/17
The print version of my book, The Tcl Programming Language, is now available. For more information, including purchase and discounts, if you purchase both print and ebook versions, please see http://wiki.tcl.tk/48868.

/Ashok

sa...@hobartsprinting.com

Jul 24, 2017, 10:16:51 AM7/24/17
Thank you!!!
I have purchased the pdf and hard copy book.
The PDF was very well organized and packed with information and links.
It is so nice to see an 8.6 version addressed.
One of my biggest problems starting out in tcl was having older documentation (and tcl books) and not really knowing what the best practices where.
I started my tcl/tk journey almost a year ago.
I am happy to support you by this small purchase.
Visiting the #tcl channel, I have been helped by so many professional tcl developers.

pal...@yahoo.com

Jul 25, 2017, 3:41:15 AM7/25/17
Thanks for your support! And I hope you enjoy your Tcl journey as much as I have over many years.

/Ashok

Robert

Jul 25, 2017, 4:04:28 PM7/25/17
I just purchased the book. Thanks so much! I will get the PDF version another payday. :)

--
Bob

Jay

Aug 15, 2017, 12:16:27 AM8/15/17
Hi Ashok,

Just wanted to say "Thank you!" for the time and energy you put into this book. I purchased the pdf version and am learning a ton! As others have mentioned, it's incredibly nice to have a Tcl book focused on the latest version. Really appreciate your hard work on this!

Jay

Ashok

Aug 16, 2017, 6:15:13 AM8/16/17
Thanks Jay. Glad you found the book useful.

/Ashok