cool update: MinGW with firebird and SOCI

lokiofa...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2019, 8:46:26 PM3/23/19
Hi all-

Just letting the people know in Tcl that I am kind of sure you can use Tcl with firebird using SWIG and SOCI. I don't know if the ODBC driver lets you use firebird that comes with Tcl.

I did an install of SOCI 4.0 with firebird backend support using cmake with MinGW and am testing out Tcl with SWIG and stubs.

Tomorrow, I will call the firebird code from SWIG and return it to Tcl.

I am going to put a download on my hobby site with packaging in freewrap that lets people without Tcl installed run an exe that tests out Tcl calling the C++ library to access firebird.

It is more at this point to demonstrate that it is working.

People will need to have firebird installed for the code to work.

I am taking a break tonight but will upload the test hopefully tomorrow.

I think the main advantage to it is SOCI has a really cool library that is easy to read and supports the C++ 11 standard and has boost support (I am not using that yet).

I hope that gives someone some ideas that uses Tcl/Tk! I am just a tester of this cool technology.

Have a cool Sat. roboloki

lokiofa...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2019, 2:09:47 PM3/24/19
Hi all-

I put small Tcl/Tk samples on my website bleepingcomputers.tech to check out. One is a demo that requires firebird to run. The other is a plain old Tcl/Tk freewrap demo that shows that you can load DLL from with inside freewrap with SWIG.

Now that I have all this in place I can work on bigger projects in the future.

Thnx for helping! - roboloki

lokiofa...@gmail.com

Mar 24, 2019, 9:20:36 PM3/24/19
Oops... I have been waiting around looking for feedback. After I spent the day vacationing I went to run the downloaded files and see I need to tweak things to find the DLLs. It is too late at night to do anything about it. I will look at it tomorrow. I am sure it is only a small fix I need but a curfew is a curfew.

I will re post the files on my site tomorrow.

I ran the files from my environment and everything had looked okay. Should have ran the files outside my environment. SORRY!

roboloki

lokiofa...@gmail.com

Mar 25, 2019, 9:02:13 PM3/25/19

> Oops... I have been waiting around looking for feedback. After I spent the day vacationing I went to run the downloaded files and see I need to tweak things to find the DLLs. It is too late at night to do anything about it. I will look at it tomorrow. I am sure it is only a small fix I need but a curfew is a curfew.
>
> I will re post the files on my site tomorrow.
>
> I ran the files from my environment and everything had looked okay. Should have ran the files outside my environment. SORRY!
>
> roboloki

HI all-

My demo is back up on the site working. I kept getting a message that it couldn't find a library but I solved that. Now it is easy to install and check out. If you have firebird and want to check it out you can see that soci 4 for firebird works from Tcl. I included a small readme file to describe it.

Well.. I will try not to post again about this unless there is a question. Sorry I had to post a few extra times until I got it fixed.

Have a cool week.

roboloki